Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Protect A Tow installation on Class C

I have a Chateau 31E and I want to install a Protect A Tow. (The toad is a 2012 CR-V.) Eye bolts need to be installed at the back of the RV to attach the Protect A Tow to. I have the square section rear bumper as shown in the attached photo, and I stow my sewer hose in it, so I don't want to drill into that and have bolts protruding into it. I was thinking of using hose clamps around the bumper to hold some metal rings as attachment points, but wondering if there was a more elegant solution.

Has anyone here installed a Protect A Tow on their class C? Did you attach it to the rear bumper or some other place at the rear of the motorhome?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chateau 31E slide2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	9480  

Old 03-27-2018, 11:13 PM   #2

Model: 31W
State: Virginia
THOR #9713
Protect A Tow installation on Class C

I’m going to use heavy duty, outside grade ty wraps, or wire ties to wrap around my bumper with a small “d”ring to attach to. I believe four would do it. I’ll replace them periodically to ensure they are not deteriorating. I’ll post in about two weeks after I get set up for this. I have a 31w that looks exactly like yours. I don’t want to drill or otherwise permanently attach anything to the bumper either.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:57 PM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Since the hose is round, and the bumper square, a bolt drilled near the bottom corner shouldn't interfere. (Now, if you drilled in the middle, you've created a problem.) All you need inside is enough for a nut and a washer. Put another nut and washer on the outside, to hold it snug. Those eyebolts don't need to be all that big, maybe 1/4th inch.

I have my Protect A Tow mounted to the metal bumper on my Vegas, and before it was on the fiberglass bumper of a Class A. Neither stow the hose in the bumper. If you are worried about the drilled hole rusting, hit it with some spray paint. Since it is on the bottom, you could just use black, if you don't have matching paint.

Those eyebolts need to be mounted to the bumper to properly protect your car. There really isn't any other place to mount it. I get that some folks get queasy when it comes to drilling holes in a vehicle. It's kinda like that first scratch or dent on a new car. The second one is easier!
Old 03-28-2018, 01:28 AM   #4

THOR #5837
The heavy duty zip ties sound like a good solution. I was thinking stainless steel hose clamps with some friction tape between the clamp and the bumper to protect the bumper, but I think I'll try the zip ties and D-rings first.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #5

THOR #9713
Ok, I had to drop my hitch to properly align my Jeep to the coach, I then had to provide a secure mount for he eye bolts. A section of plastic 4inch by 4” post cover did the trick Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4368.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	10172 Attachment 1
Old 05-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #6

THOR #5837
Jimi, thanks for the update.
So, I guess you needed to drop the eye bolt locations because of the drop receiver? I will also need to use a 4" drop receiver, and I was wondering if the protect a tow would stretch enough to work.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #7

THOR #9713
I will take a photo after I fully hook it up. Looks like it’ll work fine. Yes I had to use a 4” drop. The protect a tow hooked up fine. I’ve got an idea on better coverage in the center, I’ll keep you posted.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:07 PM   #8

THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
Jimi, thanks for the update.
So, I guess you needed to drop the eye bolt locations because of the drop receiver? I will also need to use a 4" drop receiver, and I was wondering if the protect a tow would stretch enough to work.

I had a 4" drop on my previous coach, and the ProtectATow worked fine with bolts in the bumper. Plenty of stretch in those bungee ropes.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:12 PM   #9

THOR #9713
I hooked every thing up today to check clearance, and fit. I’m satisfied with the install. I think adding the plastic post covers helped, in light of having to use a 4” drop receiver. Let’s “roll”...lolClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4387.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	10218Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4383.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	10219
Old 05-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #10

THOR #9713
This is the fix I had in mind to support the center, above the receiver, but, I really don’t think I’ll need it(I have a tendency to over engineer projects...lol)Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4384.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	10221
Old 05-12-2018, 10:27 PM   #11

THOR #1589
That may work fine. I would be concerned about the gap, the possibility of rocks flying through there. Granted, most will fly straight back from the tires, but still, one is too many!
Old 05-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #12

THOR #9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
That may work fine. I would be concerned about the gap, the possibility of rocks flying through there. Granted, most will fly straight back from the tires, but still, one is too many!

A chance but not probable as it’s out of line with the tires, opening is quite smaller than the photo indicates. If that occurs, I have a workaround for it [emoji106]
Old 05-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #13

THOR #9713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
A chance but not probable as it’s out of line with the tires, opening is quite smaller than the photo indicates. If that occurs, I have a workaround for it [emoji106]

Actually the gap is taken up by the hitch itself.