Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2016, 02:42 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #4102
question on GCWR specs Axis 25.2 E450

Is GCWR posted in the vehicle (Thor Axis 2016 25.2 on E450 chassis)

The Thor website lists 18500 as the current GCWR but it has other specs that don't agree with my rig.

For example - their website also lists the GVWR as 12500 for a 25.2 and mine is clearly labeled on the drivers wall as a 14500 GVWR.

I am attempting to determine the correct numbers to use to calculate my trailer weight.

Thanks!

Some guy from Muleshoe

Old 05-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well for the E450 the GVWR would indeed be 14,500lbs which would make the GCWR 22,000 lbs.

See here: 2017 E-Series Cutaway | View All Specifications | Ford.com

Keep in mind, though, you still probably only have the 8,000 lb hitch thus your trailer could be no more than that even if the GCWR may allow something greater.

I'd also take my unit to a scale (I've weighed ours) just to see where you are at with respect to weights.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
For 2016 it was the same. GCWR and maximum trailer weight (of unaltered chassis) are listed at bottom of this link.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...6+E-Series.pdf

Since GCWR can vary significantly with changes in rear axle ratio, I'd personally check to confirm your E-450 came with 4.56 gears. Manufacturers like Ford often offer optional gear ratios, which can be higher or lower.

On a side note, these E-450 lower 4.56 gears are probably not great for fuel economy when not towing.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:12 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
I just did a bunch of research on this before I got my Freedom Elite 26fe class C but I think it helps with the bare 450 chassis. It is 22k GCVW as long as you get 4.56 gears. I have a 7000lb boat I needed to tow. I took my RV to the truck scale and without gear but full of fluid was 11,500. With my trailer was 18,340. It pulled just fine at 70mph.

Few things to keep in mind
I know on mine its rated to pull 8,000lbs but the tongue weight is only 500lbs. Not ideal as 10% of trailer should be on the tongue but I shifted the boat back on the trailer to get it to 450lbs.
The other thing is based off of my research sometime in 2016 they made a change to the V10 motor giving it more power at a lower RPM (good for towing) and also put in a 6 speed transmission so good for towing and MPG. When I picked up my 2017 2 weeks ago it actually had a 2016 chassis so I had to verify the VIN with ford to be sure what motor and trans it had.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:58 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
I believe Ford made changes in the 3-valve V10 as used in the larger F53 motorhome chassis, but the 2-valve V10 as used on E-Series cutaways (Class Cs) and stripped chassis (Axis and Vegas) have had the same ratings for years.

I just looked up 2014 and compared to 2017, and they are the same:

305 HP at 4,250 RPM

420 lb-ft at 3,250 RPM

Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Go by the sticker in the coach for GVWR & GCVWR. That sticker is what really matters if weights were ever in question. The specific chassis configuration that got used for your build might vary from other same model coaches. You should also be able to look those values up based on VIN number.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:50 AM   #7

THOR #4102
GCWR not shown in coach

The Ford Sticker in my coach quotes GVWR (14,500) and GAWR (5,000 & 9,600) for each axle. It does not quote a GCWR which is why I asked where that number is found for official DOT regulations.

Is there another sticker besides the sticker on the cockpit wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
Go by the sticker in the coach for GVWR & GCVWR. That sticker is what really matters if weights were ever in question. The specific chassis configuration that got used for your build might vary from other same model coaches. You should also be able to look those values up based on VIN number.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:55 AM   #8

THOR #1944
Wow ... you're right! I just looked and thought that's where I got my GCWR. That sticker had the combined number on my other rigs ... Now I wonder where I got that value last year for my Axis data spreadsheet? My side panel sticker and the one under the dash doesn't provide the combined rating either! Hum... What an eye opener! Thanks and sorry for earlier post

Well, you can use the chassis decoder: VIN Decoder - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums and it should have Gross Combined Wt Rating in the tech specs tab.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #9

THOR #1944
Jamie's Ford spec link for chassis in post 2 is probably the best source for combined weight.

I know for sure the 18,500 number I've personally been using did not come from the enthusiasts link ... as that VIN decoder is another great example of wildly different specification data on the topic.