Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2016, 12:14 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Greg,
Have you thought about this mod any further. I'd like to do the same thing
Almost bought a bunch of stuff on Amazon to do it but then realized it wont work how I was planning it

The third brake lights wires run to the right tail/brake light. On my Jeep its a black wire (at least I thing it is) and a white with purple stripe I'm trying to figure out a way to tap into the wires and then run them to an led light

I'll probably take the third brake light apart this weekend. I have to remove the spare tire to get the light apart

If you have any thoughts please let me know

Jerry
Sure haven't. This is something I'd really like to figure it out for peace of mind.

I think tapping off the third brake light is the best bet at least for me and the CoolTech harness I use.

If you figure it out, let me know.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:30 AM   #22
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I use the Mopar OEM harness to use the Jeep Wrangler's tail/turn/stop lights when towing... One thing I noticed - when the Jeep battery is disconnected (as recommended) - the third brake light is non-functional...

If the battery is left connected - the third brake light is on when the toad brake is active - and turns off after 15-20 seconds.

I use Invisibrake - and it only engages the toad brakes for 15-20 seconds. It also has a monitor wire running from Jeep to motorhome dash - lights an LED on the dash when the brakes are active on the Jeep.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:58 AM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg84 View Post
Sure haven't. This is something I'd really like to figure it out for peace of mind.

I think tapping off the third brake light is the best bet at least for me and the CoolTech harness I use.

If you figure it out, let me know.
Greg I think I have the fix to this problem but it would take a phone call. Typing it here would be a pain.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #24

THOR #3156
Greg
Did the very easy install today. I used the Hopkins light wiring kit which does not activate the thrid light when the mh brakes are applied. Hopkins only activates the left and right brake tail light

So i went to harbor freight and bought a 12 led trailer hitch cover light and a trailer wiring harness

Pluged into the 4 pin trailer plug on the jeep and ran the wires to the light which sits in the storage arsa on the dash

I wrapped the wires a round the seat to help support it

The light only comes on when the jeeps brakes are applied

I also figured out how to do your set up. Similiar to this but you need to get to the thrid light wires which are on the rear door of the jeep

They are,easy to get to.

I sent you a pm with my number. Give me a call if youre interested in doing the install

Jerry

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161008_112522.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	3120Click image for larger version

Name:	20161008_112532.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	3121Click image for larger version

Name:	20161008_112542.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	3122Click image for larger version

Name:	20161008_112620.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	3123Click image for larger version

Name:	20161008_112626.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	3124

And it stores in the compartment under the rear matClick image for larger version

Name:	20161008_112820.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	3125
FMCA # F464385
Old 10-15-2016, 02:19 AM   #25

THOR #3156
At 530 this evening the dw told me our Saturday morning plans to go into downtown Los Angeles to shop were off. I was going to drive the dw and mil downtown to get some supplies for the mil's 80th birthday party. LA sucks but I would gladly take them to make them happy. After hearing this I decided this weekend will be the install time.

So instead of sitting on my butt and watching tv I decided to start after hearing this great news.

Moved the carpet out of the way and tried drilling the pilot hole with a 1/8 bit. Brake pedal was in the way and couldn't get it started. You are supposed to enlarge the hole to 3/16 after making sure nothing is in the way at the firewall. I took some measurements and was confident nothing was in the way. I just happen to have a 12" long 3/16 drill bit. I don't know why or when I bought it but it worked perfect. Drilled the hole and got the cable connection installed. I couldn't tighten it up by myself. The cable kept spinning. Got the dw to help but that didn't go so well. I'll find a neighbor tomorrow to help me get it tightened up.

It got to dark to do anything else. I think the hard part is done. I'll finish it up tomorrow.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 10-15-2016, 08:38 PM   #26

THOR #3156
Finished the install this morning and also installed the brake away cable

Took about 3 hours with some breaks plus i made the bracket that the brake cable comes out of.

For not knowing what i was doing im pretty happy

Couple pics

Name:	20161015_124302.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	3178Click image for larger version

Name:	20161015_124256.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	3179

Name:	20161015_124243.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	3180

Name:	20161015_124220_001.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	3181Click image for larger version

Name:	20161015_124201.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	3182Click image for larger version

Name:	20161015_124121.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	3183
FMCA # F464385
Old 10-29-2016, 12:51 AM   #27

THOR #3156
Got the 4" drop hitch the other day. With everything installed today was the hook up day

Pulled the mh and jeep into the street. The drop hitch will hit my drive way so everything has to hook up in the street

Adjusted the brake cable and the brake away switch cable then went for a ride

My buddy recorded several videos. He went into tge bedroon openned the emergency window and hsed his cell to record while driving

I went to a near by shopping center and did several tight left and right turns to make sure the cables were not to tight

Everything looked and worked great

The led light i put on the jeeps dash worked great well almost great. Its kind of small and sun glare on the window made it hard to see if it was coming on

Plus the camera isnt the best quality. Im thinking about getting a magnetic turn/ brake light. Ill use the same wires from the other light and run them through the inside of the jeep. There is space above the top hinge where i can run the wire and then place the light just in front of the windsheild. That should allow me to see tge light better. Ill decide on that later

It towed well and the brake system worked great. Im eeal happy with it
FMCA # F464385
Old 11-08-2016, 08:47 PM   #28
sip

THOR #5882
Nice ... another ReadyBrake user here. One hint from the ReadyBrake instructions that I found cool and helpful was to tie a bungy cord looped around the brake pedal to the base of the driver seat. This gives more pull force for the pedal to return back when not braking.

Overall, I love the simplicity of the whole thing and I almost don't feel anything is in tow if I don't look at it with the camera
Old 11-09-2016, 04:04 AM   #29

THOR #3156
Sip
I read the bungee tip but forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder

We are heading out tomorrow morning for a few days. Ill use the bungee
Heading up to idyllwild. Should be a good test in towing the jeep up and down the mountain
Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 11-09-2016, 03:57 PM   #30

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Not sure if its still available but I have a Blue Ox wireless brake applied indicator. Both units, MH and dingy, plug into the cig lighter. The dingy unit also attaches to the hot side of the vehicle brake light. This saved me the trouble of running the hardwire LED light that came with the readybrake.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #31

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #3186
I have the original unit and it was wearing quite a bit. There were nylon bushings which had worn out leaving a lot of free play in the swivel. So I took the whole thing apart.

I replaced the #8 9/16" central bolt with a new one and replaced the bad nylon bushings with bronze. Put it all back together and will watch it for wear and less tear.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:17 PM   #32
sip

THOR #5882
Jerry, safe travels! Not sure how your Jeep is but what makes me the most nervous on my 2003 Wrangler is the steering wheel lock. The key cylinder is kinda unsure in that aux position and I have a hard time making sure I've got the key in the right place (and have it stay there).

The steering locked up on me at the start once but thankfully I do a little loop around the block before embarking just so I can do a final check on the hookups after taking some corners (it's a manual so I have to double check it's in gear, parking brake off, ReadyBrake wire in place, brake lights working, etc
Old 11-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #33

THOR #1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by sip View Post
Nice ... another ReadyBrake user here. One hint from the ReadyBrake instructions that I found cool and helpful was to tie a bungy cord looped around the brake pedal to the base of the driver seat. This gives more pull force for the pedal to return back when not braking.

Overall, I love the simplicity of the whole thing and I almost don't feel anything is in tow if I don't look at it with the camera
Forgot about that also even though I use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Not sure if its still available but I have a Blue Ox wireless brake applied indicator. Both units, MH and dingy, plug into the cig lighter. The dingy unit also attaches to the hot side of the vehicle brake light. This saved me the trouble of running the hardwire LED light that came with the readybrake.
I've looked for this before and just now. I don't think they make it anymore. I can't find it on their website. Too bad, it would make things easier.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #34

THOR #3156
Greg the third brake light mod is a failure. The light come on but the problen is you cant see it on the camera. Might work at night but day time forget it. I even ran the light out the door and attached it to the hood but the suns glare hides the light

The only way i see the camera pickjng up the light would be 1 of 2 ways
1. Huge light bar attached to rack on top of jerp or maybe to the bumper. The cost reward isnt there for me

2. Run the light from the jeep to the mh ladder. This way the light is very close to the camera. This way is inconvenient and just not practical

So im ditching the light and the $20 was a cheap price for the experiment
FMCA # F464385
Old 11-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #35

THOR #3156
Heres a problem i face with the elite model i got. We got to the campground and i unhooked it from the jeep

Most tow bars fold up and lock into place while still attached to the mh
I could not figure out how to do this i took it off and put it in the jeep

Is there a way to lock it in place. Its a pain in tge bytt to remove install everytime you get to a campsite
FMCA # F464385
Old 11-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #36

THOR #1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Greg the third brake light mod is a failure. The light come on but the problen is you cant see it on the camera. Might work at night but day time forget it. I even ran the light out the door and attached it to the hood but the suns glare hides the light

The only way i see the camera pickjng up the light would be 1 of 2 ways
1. Huge light bar attached to rack on top of jerp or maybe to the bumper. The cost reward isnt there for me

2. Run the light from the jeep to the mh ladder. This way the light is very close to the camera. This way is inconvenient and just not practical

So im ditching the light and the $20 was a cheap price for the experiment
How big was your light? I've seen some folks say they mounted it on their visor and dropped the visor down when towing.

Wish I knew wireless electronics, I'd try to build a wireless brake indicator.

Edit: I see that SMI makes a wireless brake light indicator; SMI Coachlink 900. Pricey at $225, but peace of mind may be worth it.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #37

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
I have used these with a Jeep and was able to see them go on/off from the rear camera.

Name:  TowLights.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  2.4 KB
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:48 PM   #38

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by sip View Post
Jerry, safe travels! Not sure how your Jeep is but what makes me the most nervous on my 2003 Wrangler is the steering wheel lock. The key cylinder is kinda unsure in that aux position and I have a hard time making sure I've got the key in the right place (and have it stay there).

The steering locked up on me at the start once but thankfully I do a little loop around the block before embarking just so I can do a final check on the hookups after taking some corners (it's a manual so I have to double check it's in gear, parking brake off, ReadyBrake wire in place, brake lights working, etc
My jeep doesnt have locking steering so thankfully i dont need to worry about that

I did notice more swaying while driving on the freeway. The extra weight and length the jeep added was noticeable not bad but made me pay more attention to the road. Driving 55mph also helps but the sway is still there
FMCA # F464385
Old 11-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #39

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
I have used these with a Jeep and was able to see them go on/off from the rear camera.

Attachment 3336
I thought about these also. But dont know if its really neccesary. The light is for piece of mind that the brakes are working. I think after a few trip i wont even question that the system is working properly

Harbor frieght has a set for $10 but reviews say the magnets are weak and they can scratch the paint. I good quality set is $75-100. Just dont kbow if it worth it to buy and use them
FMCA # F464385
Old 11-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #40

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg84 View Post
How big was your light? I've seen some folks say they mounted it on their visor and dropped the visor down when towing.

Wish I knew wireless electronics, I'd try to build a wireless brake indicator.
Greg
Light i bought is made to go ibto the tow hitch of the jeep and act as an additional brake light. I would say its 2x2 inches. I can see it sometimes in the camera but its to difficult and dangerous to try while driving. I wanted something that really popped or lite up bright tgat all i would need to fo is glace at the screen and see the brighg light
FMCA # F464385