Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2016, 05:09 PM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg84 View Post
How big was your light? I've seen some folks say they mounted it on their visor and dropped the visor down when towing.

Wish I knew wireless electronics, I'd try to build a wireless brake indicator.

Edit: I see that SMI makes a wireless brake light indicator; SMI Coachlink 900. Pricey at $225, but peace of mind may be worth it.
Greg
Look at the earlier posts on this thread. I posted pics of the light and how i wired it

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:19 AM   #42
sip

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
THOR #5882
On my 2003, I wired in diodes. On the wrangler at least from that era, the wiring is really simple. It took maybe 10 mins of probing to double check what's what (I have the factory wiring diagram) but splicing into the marker and the left/right lights ended up being pretty easy and it's all right there below the steering column which is very easy to get to.

I didn't bother wiring into the 3rd brake light.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:58 PM   #43

THOR #3156
So I got the brake light indictor done yesterday. Dave "Sundance" came over and we got it done. It took a while but we did it. Had a great time working and talking to you Dave. I owe you and Maggie a dinner. Lets do it soon.

First I ran a wire through the frame from the front to back of the Jeep. We spliced into the brake/turn signal wire at the four pin rear trailer plug (back of Jeep). Then we hooked it up to the electric brake pin on the 6 pin plug mounted to the front of the jeep. THe plan was to tie into the electric brake wire on the motor home 7 flat pin plug.

(This ended up not working. For some reason and after an hour or so of the light not working we discovered the 6 to 7 cable was not in sync.) We later switched the wire on the 6 pin plug to the back up light pin. This matched up to the electric brake pin on the motorhome. WE HAVE LIGHT!!

We spliced the wire that came with the Ready Brute into the electric brake wire from the plug (blue wire.) Then came the fun part. Lying on my back I started the long crawl to the front. Running the wire and zip tying my way down. Dave followed along handing me zip ties as I needed them. There are plenty of wires and hoses to zip tie to.

We then ran the wires up through the expanding insulation to get them into the cab. I installed the light into a spare auxiliary tab left side of the dash. Out of the way but still visible.

SO now when the brake are activated the light will go on. No more guessing or worrying if they are on going down a steep mountain.

Thanks again Dave

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 12-01-2016, 11:28 PM   #44
sip

THOR #5882
Nice! I still have to do that too.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #45

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Colorado
THOR #1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Heres a problem i face with the elite model i got. We got to the campground and i unhooked it from the jeep

Most tow bars fold up and lock into place while still attached to the mh
I could not figure out how to do this i took it off and put it in the jeep

Is there a way to lock it in place. Its a pain in tge bytt to remove install everytime you get to a campsite
I missed this when you posted. It's been a very busy last 3 1/2 months.

Yes, there is a way. I never remove my tow bar when on the road, only the cables and pins when parked. Lift the towbar up and attach it to the d-ring used for the brake, lay the towbar over to the side. Shown connection points shown in red below. I do this when I disconnect my jeep and have driven short distances within RV parks in this stowed position with no issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RBE.png
Views:	94
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	3444  
Old 12-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #46

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg84 View Post
I missed this when you posted. It's been a very busy last 3 1/2 months.

Yes, there is a way. I never remove my tow bar when on the road, only the cables and pins when parked. Lift the towbar up and attach it to the d-ring used for the brake, lay the towbar over to the side. Shown connection points shown in red below. I do this when I disconnect my jeep and have driven short distances within RV parks in this stowed position with no issues.
Thanks Greg
I called NSA during my trip and they explained this to me. I did have to remove the cable from the d ring to get enough room for the bar. Do you have to do this also

Jerry
FMCA # F464385