Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2018, 10:04 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Montana
THOR #4727
Towing with ACE 30.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by K6NCX View Post
We have never used a toad, but it may be time. We have a gas Class A (Thor ACE 30.1) (hydraulic brakes) and really don't want to have something sitting on the floor of the toad and clamped to the brake pedal. POSSIBLE toad is an old Subaru Legacy Outback, manual transmission. If you've got a great suggestion for some other toad, please share it.

I started out asking about brakes, but feel free to add your suggestions for tow bars and toad lights, as well. Across the board, we're looking for ease of use and reliability more than economy.

Thanks.
We have an ACE 30.1 2015 which we pull a 4 door Wrangler with. We had an SMI brake system installed, model #SI0807. After hooking up the Jeep we put it in park, transfer case to neutral, flip a switch under the dash to activate the system and we are good to go. The steps one goes through to set the jeep up will vary by year. Nothing clamped to the brake pedal. (I hope you have better luck with your ACE than we have).

Old 10-08-2018, 10:54 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Well I can’t be as complimentary of the SMI brake system (Stay and Play). After a couple of years mine has become quite a headache.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:57 PM   #43

Model: Palazzo 33.4
State: Washington
THOR #5414
Quote:
Originally Posted by K6NCX View Post
We have never used a toad, but it may be time. We have a gas Class A (Thor ACE 30.1) (hydraulic brakes) and really don't want to have something sitting on the floor of the toad and clamped to the brake pedal. POSSIBLE toad is an old Subaru Legacy Outback, manual transmission. If you've got a great suggestion for some other toad, please share it.

I started out asking about brakes, but feel free to add your suggestions for tow bars and toad lights, as well. Across the board, we're looking for ease of use and reliability more than economy.

Thanks.
K6NCX,
For what it is worth, we have used a Blue Ox brake system with three different coaches and two different toads for a total of 40+ thousand miles. As you put it, it is a unit that sits on the floor and clamps to the brake pedal. We had a gas class A when we first purchased this unit. Since then we are on our 2nd diesel pusher. We have had most of the situations you are going to experience on the road with this set up and it has been effective. I was apprehensive at first as you indicated but has worked well. We spent $1,000 dollars vs $2,100 on other units at the time. Whatever you do, highly recommend some sort of braking on the toad.
2015 Jeep Wrangler - Blue Ox tow system
Rwstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:25 PM   #44

THOR #7227
I heard many good things about SMI Stay and Play but I have not had that experience with them.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #45

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
What controls the amount of braking pressure applied to the pedal? Is it the same pressure or some type on inertia that controls it?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #46

THOR #12335
Its powered by brake lights and inertia to the control box. You can go on Demco website and download/view stay and play operators manual.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:47 PM   #47

THOR #7227
Only one more trip and it is very short so will not tow. Thanks for the tips but it is headed back to installer before next camping season.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:41 PM   #48

State: Arizona
THOR #6671
We found a 1999 Sahara Wrangler with 151,000 miles, original owner, 4.0L inline 6, beautiful condition. We tow four flat with Blue Ox tow bar. No problems. No trailer to fuss with in campgrounds. Four minutes to hook up, four minutes to unhook. Jeep has transfer box - easy neutral. Invisibrake system is good - no boxes to connect, unhook.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:20 AM   #49

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
We picked up a Jeep Liberty Limited with 78,000 miles, 1 owner, V6, looks like new inside and out. We tow four down with a Road Master Falcon 2 tow bar. Five minutes to hook up or unhook. The Liberty has a transfer case so just pop it in neutral. Had the Invisibrake system installed in the Jeep - no boxes to connect or lug in and out of the Jeep, plug in the lights and go.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:01 AM   #50

Model: ACE 30.4
State: Michigan
THOR #13168
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck27 View Post
Roadmaster tow bar, baseplates and wiring kit for tail lights.
RVIBrake2 is easy to setup for each trip.

We tow a 2012 Jeep Liberty 4x4.

Also have a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero setup with baseplates and wiring kit that we towed before we got the Jeep. Uses the same towbar and RVIBrake2.
Hi dlbeck27, Can I ask how your toad battery gets charged while underway? or do they get power from the motorhome? I'm thinking about getting a 2012 Liberty and am trying to get an order together. I really like RVIBrake system, it looks simple to set up and use. Thanks Bill
Old 10-10-2018, 01:18 AM   #51

THOR #12335
Extra $99 and they add charger from RV to battery on car. Don't tow without it!
Old 10-10-2018, 06:57 AM   #52

Model: Chateau 31L
State: California
THOR #2917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket List Inn View Post
Hi dlbeck27, Can I ask how your toad battery gets charged while underway? or do they get power from the motorhome? I'm thinking about getting a 2012 Liberty and am trying to get an order together. I really like RVIBrake system, it looks simple to set up and use. Thanks Bill
Bill, the battery is charged by the motorhome. The RVIBrake is easy to setup and can be monitored from the MH. I have towed about 15,000 miles with this setup and have had no issues. Dave
dlbeck27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #53

State: Rhode Island
THOR #13004
paintman41: Is your Honda Fit manual or automatic? What year?
Old 11-21-2018, 07:25 PM   #54

State: Montana
THOR #4727
We have a Jeep Wrangler 4 door pulled behind ACE 30.1. SMT braking system. So far so good. Hook up, flip swiitch and good to go.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:13 PM   #55

Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
State Towing Laws

There are several sites that post these.

Trailer Laws & Regulations By State - Trailers.com - Shop Cargo, Utility, Equipment, & Enclosed Trailers
State Towing Laws

As always, check to make sure.
WarEagleDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:06 PM   #56

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Mississippi
THOR #14190
Blue Ox Patriot 3

Looking to buy a new braking system and noticed that retailer is asking $500 more than Amazon for the same braking system. Amazon is listing the blue ox patriot 3 as new but I’m having a tough time with a 500 dollar difference. Is the Amazon product really new? Anyone ever have this same senecio?
Old 02-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #57

Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
State: California
THOR #6863
The good thing about Amazon is that their customer support would work with you on a return if the product wasn't delivered as advertised. If the price was within $50, I might lean towards supporting a small business -- but a $500 difference?...that's ridiculous!
ReadyBrute Elite towing & braking
PapaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:22 PM   #58

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Mississippi
THOR #14190
Thanks for the info just such a high difference in price leads to speculation
Old 03-05-2020, 05:57 AM   #59

Model: hurricane 29m
State: Arkansas
THOR #7095
I buy a lot, if not most all my stuff from amazon. They’ve got buying power over most retailers and you won’t have all the markup. As mentioned great return policy and customer service.

Disclaimer:
I am not affiliated with, paid or endorsed by amazon. I do look for the best deals possible.

With all that being said I do try to work with local businesses if they are “in the ballpark”
Old 03-05-2020, 11:58 PM   #60

Model: WindSport 35M
State: Arizona
THOR #16292
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
It is my understanding that all toads have either electric or surge brakes. Either way, you are required to have brakes if you exceed a certain weight...not sure what that is.

I think in most states it 3000lbs.