Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Arkansas
THOR #3744
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo21793 View Post
Help ! Well, I installed everything correctly , hooked it up to the motor home and the light on the box is doing nothing. I'm at a loss .
Does the Axis already come with a hot 12v connection on the center pin?
The center pin from the Axis is not 12v, the center pin on the other end of your cable (the six pin plug on the toad) will be the 12v source.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #22

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Our toad (2013 Explorer) had a starting problem after the first 7-8 months of traveling with a Brake Buddy system. After calling roadside service for an emergency start at Buffalo Bill State Park, I picked up a 12 volt emergency jump start pack as a back stop for the problem. But the real issue becomes loss of supplemental braking if the battery is non-operational.

So I had the battery tested and it needed replacing. I replaced it with a higher cranking amp battery. I also try to stop at least every 2 hours and run toad for a few minutes.

Since I did all this, no problem - never had needed to use the emergency jump start pack.

Just our experiences.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #23

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Texas
THOR #1406
First time towing (2016 Chev Spark, Man Tranny). Battery died. Question, after leaving key on Acc. want to apply a disconnect to toad battery. Are there any need to have 'Juice' flowing while towing? Thanks.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:23 PM   #24
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorRut View Post
First time towing (2016 Chev Spark, Man Tranny). Battery died. Question, after leaving key on Acc. want to apply a disconnect to toad battery. Are there any need to have 'Juice' flowing while towing? Thanks.
Check the owners manual first - they sometimes provide a specific fuse(s) to pull while flat towing to avoid draining the battery which may be simpler...
The toad's supplemental brake system would need power from the toad (in event of breakaway)...
Outside of that - a disconnect should be fine.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:05 AM   #25

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #4986
As gmc said check your owners manual for flat towing. I tow an Equinox automatic transmission. Instructions say to pull a specific fuse so the battery won't drain. My supplemental brake system is powered by the toad battery and within 2/3 hrs of towing the battery was drained regardless if the fuse was pulled or not. I eventually installed a direct "charge wire" with a 20 amp protection fuse thru the 6 pin connector. So now the battery is kept charged from the RV. They also have Toad Battery chargers that do basically the same thing. You can find them on Amazon for about $50. Good luck and stay safe.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:50 AM   #26

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Solar Toad Charger

For years I've used a charger similar to this from Amazon;

https://www.amazon.com/ALLPOWERS-Por...attery+charger

It works well and is inexpensive.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:34 PM   #27

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
i just bought a 2017 challenger and also a 2013 jeep wrangler to tow..
i had a blue ox towbar installed with electrical so the jeep turn/brake lights are operational while towing.
the owners manual says nothing about pulling a fuse...why would towing a vehicle run it's battery down ?
i've only had a chance to tow for about an hour and the jeep started fine afterwards.
is battery discharge something i should worry about ?
Old 06-01-2017, 12:09 AM   #28

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick kirby View Post
i just bought a 2017 challenger and also a 2013 jeep wrangler to tow..
i had a blue ox towbar installed with electrical so the jeep turn/brake lights are operational while towing.
the owners manual says nothing about pulling a fuse...why would towing a vehicle run it's battery down ?
i've only had a chance to tow for about an hour and the jeep started fine afterwards.
is battery discharge something i should worry about ?
Don't know your exact set up but if while towing you are using the jeeps battery to run the jeeps running lights, stop and turn signals it could drain the battery on a long distance especially at night with running lights activated. However if your entire set including the jeep use your motor home engine battery you will be fine and don't need to worry about the jeep battery. If it is the MH battery running your toad vehicle lights, is your jeeps ignition key in the "on" position while being towed? That will eventually drain the jeeps battery also. In the on position the jeeps battery is sending power to many things used or not. Best system hook up uses motor home battery and has toad battery disconnected. Better safe than sorry.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:56 AM   #29

THOR #6874
Key is in the off position, when they installed the tow bar i had them install the light kit also, it has a 4 prong plug on the front of the jeep and it plugs into the 6 prong on the back of the motor home.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:22 AM   #30

Model: Hurricane 35M
THOR #3744
Quote:
Key is in the off position, when they installed the tow bar i had them install the light kit also, it has a 4 prong plug on the front of the jeep and it plugs into the 6 prong on the back of the motor home.
What auxillary braking system are you using? Does it get it's power from the Jeep's battery?
Old 06-01-2017, 11:02 AM   #31

THOR #6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceandpam View Post
what auxillary braking system are you using? Does it get it's power from the jeep's battery?

actually going to buy one this week, just not sure which one yet,
Old 12-30-2019, 11:00 PM   #32

State: Tennessee
THOR #15349
No power at the Battery charging plug on the 7 pin connector

I have a 2016 Thor Windsport 34J and when we hook up the toad the battery does not charge. We have one of the rv battery chargers but we get no light. I checked the plug and it should have 12V at the number 4 pin with the ignition o, but it does not. Does anyone know where the 30 amp fuse might be.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:15 PM   #33
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
actually going to buy one this week, just not sure which one yet,
Some aux braking systems can run the battery down depending on how it is powered. I have the Invsibrake system which also charges the battery when the motorhome parking or head lights are on. I also had a dedicated charging line installed in case I forget to turn on the lights.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:28 AM   #34
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTheRoadWeGo View Post
I have a 2016 Thor Windsport 34J and when we hook up the toad the battery does not charge. We have one of the rv battery chargers but we get no light. I checked the plug and it should have 12V at the number 4 pin with the ignition o, but it does not. Does anyone know where the 30 amp fuse might be.
Yes, there was just a thread on this. Maybe the search function will help you locate that thread. I believe it was found in the fusebox by the left foot of the driver.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:35 AM   #35

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #15745
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Yes, there was just a thread on this. Maybe the search function will help you locate that thread. I believe it was found in the fusebox by the left foot of the driver.

We have a hurricane 34j and I tow a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit with a Roadmaster invisibrake 8700 break controller. This setup charges the battery of the toad as long as you have the lights on in the motor coach.
Can also be setup to charge directly from motorhome wiring harness. Roadmaster offers a kit for that.
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:33 PM   #36
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Some aux braking systems can run the battery down depending on how it is powered. I have the Invsibrake system which also charges the battery when the motorhome parking or head lights are on. I also had a dedicated charging line installed in case I forget to turn on the lights.
Ummm... if installed per directions, without the parking or headlights on - not only is the toad battery not charging, but the Invisibrake is not engaged at all.
Mine was specifically installed to be always active if the toad is connected (used 'always on' line rather than taillights off the RV wire harness to power up. Brake lights activate), rather than depending on the lights - but that is a difference from the documented instructions...

If you aren't charging the toad - I'd be sure you are energizing the Invisibrake at all. Might be yet another unique setup and works just fine - the only thing consistent about our rigs is they are inconsistent!

Easy to test - you should hear the vacuum pump when brakes are engaged - and dash light should confirm.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote