Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2019, 01:23 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
In the NW our Axis averaged just over 8mpg towing a 2D Wrangler 4 down for 3yrs. No data without toad so other mpg claims become a reference. The Jeep caused tail wag in our Axis, even with its short hangover and a track-bar took care of the wag (should be OEM IMO). Zero issue with power but dang that V10 can make some noise.

As for backing up... I've pushed a few extra feet when in dirt or gravel but watch those front wheels when on pavement YMMV. FWIW... on pavement, maybe 5-10ft before hitting lockup if straight. Context: I've only had wrangler toads...

Old 07-19-2019, 02:06 AM   #42
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
In the NW our Axis averaged just over 8mpg towing a 2D Wrangler 4 down for 3yrs. No data without toad so other mpg claims become a reference. The Jeep caused tail wag in our Axis, even with its short hangover and a track-bar took care of the wag (should be OEM IMO). Zero issue with power but dang that V10 can make some noise.

As for backing up... I've pushed a few extra feet when in dirt or gravel but watch those front wheels when on pavement YMMV. FWIW... on pavement, maybe 5-10ft before hitting lockup if straight. Context: I've only had wrangler toads...
Hey Ty ! Thank YOU for the feedback ! Regarding gas mileage with the Axis...not in tow, we average 9-10mpg..once in a while 11. When we have towed the trailer, like you we usually got 8-9mpg. So, we presume we will get same with Jeep in tow.
Since I keep an mpg on each fillup .. I will keep everyone posted. I am the copilot/navigator … so this is what I do !! Keeps me out of trouble and awake !!

HAPPY CAMPING !

Kay and Ron
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:18 AM   #43
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Having used a dolly now for four years I'm quite used to not being able to back up. We start looking for fuel around 1/2 a tank--people are ready for a stop at that point anyway. If a station looks dicey we just move on.

I haven't noticed any wag either.

I used to measure mpg but since it always was around 9 mpg I stopped. As long as I keep getting the same distance out of a tank--I'm good LOL.

Today we're starting our 1000 mile journey home dragging the Bolt on the dolly (have to say having a small car on the east coast worked out very well).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #44
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

Today we're starting our 1000 mile journey home dragging the Bolt on the dolly (have to say having a small car on the east coast worked out very well).
sounds like you had a good trip !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 07-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #45
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The only thing that we've towed with our Sprinter so far, is a golfcart on an aluminum trailer. (1000 pounds total weight...)
We never even knew it was back there!
We're now looking to "upgrade" to a real "Toad",on a larger trailer. (2700 pounds total weight)
Do any of you other "Sprinter Pilots" have experience with towing this amount of weight?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #46
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
The only thing that we've towed with our Sprinter so far, is a golfcart on an aluminum trailer. (1000 pounds total weight...)
We never even knew it was back there!
We're now looking to "upgrade" to a real "Toad",on a larger trailer. (2700 pounds total weight)
Do any of you other "Sprinter Pilots" have experience with towing this amount of weight?
Bob ! what happened to your Tiffin ? …or is that on the Sprinter Chassis?
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 07-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #47
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We've got the "Cheap" one...
The Wayfarer is on the Sprinter 3500...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1563554223
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1210.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	19046  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #48

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Last month, we bought a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport to tow behind the Axis. We are getting setup with Blue Ox package and Patriot braking (it was a trade in so we got it for a great price) … we have pulled enclosed trailers for many years … towing a vehicle is new to us. We have read and printed all the necessary information regarding towing the Jeep...however,
ANY and ALL feedback will be appreciated.
Attachment 18595
That's what I tow behind my Miramar. I don't know if is just due to the size of the Miramar compared to the Axis, but it doesn't affect the handling at all. I can tell it's back there when taking off, but once I'm moving there's no issue at all. I do use the tow/haul feature when towing.

I use Brake Buddy and notice no additional stopping distance.

I like stopping in small towns with parallel pumps or dive in, double stacked pumps where I can fill up with the pump furthest away from the front of the station. I have NEVER had to disconnect the toad due to trouble around the gas pumps.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:21 PM   #49

State: California
THOR #10044
toad/handling

We have the Patriot II and tow a Jeep Liberty. The Liberty is heavier than your Wrangler. Liberty is about 4200 lbs. It tows easily behind the Axis and the Patriot brake works great. Just be sure to your tow bar is quite level. Might require a different hitch.
No handling problems or affects from wind or passing trucks. Plenty of power.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:31 AM   #50

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
State: California
THOR #14761
I to have a Miramar 34.2 and 6 speed manual mini Cooper 3000 pounds and no I repeat no electric brake piece of cake to tow.
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:03 PM   #51
vkb

THOR #3510
WE have certainly enjoyed and appreciated all the feedback from everyone ! AIN'T THIS FORUM GREAT !!!
Well...we got the tow package installed and drove the 60 miles home...TJ in tow....Ron sez, as anticipated, he couldn't even tell it was back there...he forgot to put the Axis in Tow/Haul, as he usually, only uses it when in Colorado or extreme hilly travels. Had one hill, where Axis bogged down a bit...but, he felt it followed as well as the trailers he has towed over the years, including the 28' toyhauler, (behind F150 4x4)..several years ago.

Looking forward to our next, extended trip, and having the TJ to run about in once we are at a campsite.

Fellas who did the install, attached the baseplate under the bumper, lined it up perfectly to the Axis...
Click image for larger version

Name:	TOAD JEEP july 17.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	19111
Jeep Wrangler TJ