Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2019, 02:08 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Hey Chance ! good to hear from you ! As most everyone knows, we have towed motorcycles for many years and just made the switch to a Wrangler Sport TJ .. as we aged, the motorcycle was less desirable when we were at our destination...we bought an older model got her setup to tow and LOVE THAT JEEP !! Now, when we arrive at our destination, we unhook and can literally, go anywhere we want at the drop of a hat ! Weather is not a factor . Our family sez we are in our second childhood ! SO MY MESSAGE TO ANYONE WHO IS THINKING ABOUT A TOAD...if you can afford it..DO IT!
Yeah, I agree Wranglers are great. My son has a new Wrangler and it’s a very nice vehicle. I wouldn’t mind owning one even if it wasn’t to tow. He’s in process of restoring an old classic motorhome and will be towing the Jeep when finished. The work scope is extensive so may take a while.

Great to hear from you, and hope everything is going well for you guys.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:13 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Most states require a supplemental brake system. If ever in an accident without one in any of those states you could be at fault, even if your not.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Most states require a supplemental brake system. If ever in an accident without one in any of those states you could be at fault, even if your not.
So you think sitting at a red light in your coach pulling a toad without a brake system and someone runs into you would make you at fault because you didn't have a brake system for the toad?

Yeah, let's throw logic and common sense out the window and bow down to paranoia.

You're only at fault if the lack of a braking system contributed to the accident, including your failure to avoid the accident due to your increased braking distance.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #24

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So you think sitting at a red light in your coach pulling a toad without a brake system and someone runs into you would make you at fault because you didn't have a brake system for the toad?

Yeah, let's throw logic and common sense out the window and bow down to paranoia.

You're only at fault if the lack of a braking system contributed to the accident, including your failure to avoid the accident due to your increased braking distance.
Ok, one scenario. Many others. At the discretion of the officer what he does or does not cite. Also, you don’t have to be a ass, but evidently.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:00 PM   #25
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Our Blue Ox tow package included a Patriot brake. We never considered NOT having a brake in the TJ.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #26
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Ok, one scenario. Many others. At the discretion of the officer what he does or does not cite. Also, you don’t have to be a ass, but evidently.
A citation does not put you at fault.

And I'm just correcting the spread on incorrect information on the forum by pointing out how ludicrous the statement is.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #27

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
As long as we remain more travelers than campers, and it’s just the two of us who prefer a small camper, I can’t see wanting to pull a toad.

I recall once staying in one place for a week where a car was nice to have, but that’s rare for us. And even if we had to rent a car for a week a couple of times a year, it would still be preferable and perhaps cheaper for us than to own and pull a toad.

We’ve used regular bikes, and may consider a scooter someday, but between small camper, rental cars, and Ubers, I doubt I’ll ever want the inconvenience of a toad. Just personal preference — it’s very subjective.

This worked for us for a number of years but finally we have set up to tow. Snowbirding in Florida was the deciding factor for us. A month in Navarre without a car just didn’t work.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #28

THOR #12830
Quote:
A citation does not put you at fault.

And I'm just correcting the spread on incorrect information on the forum by pointing out how ludicrous the statement is.
Disagree.

Lawyers would have a field day.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:14 PM   #29
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Disagree.

Lawyers would have a field day.
Ambulance chasers in a civil suit? Possibly, but only is someone were hurt; most would not take the case on contingency if the lack of brakes did not contribute to the accident.

In a court of law? Not likely if the lack of brakes did not contribute to the accident.

And don't try to tell me your insurance won't cover you either, they HAVE to cover you in an accident whether it's your fault or not. That's state mandated coverage.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #30

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
This worked for us for a number of years but finally we have set up to tow. Snowbirding in Florida was the deciding factor for us. A month in Navarre without a car just didn’t work.
I just hope that if we ever get to that point, that there’s an easier way to hook up for towing; particularly the brakes. My observation at campgrounds is that connecting (and disconnecting to a lesser degree) takes too much time. Toad brake systems are the deal breaker for me. When I towed my dune buggy in Florida a long time ago, it didn’t require brakes. At about 1,000 pounds (more or less) it wasn’t required. I could connect and be ready to go in a few minutes. Later in Texas I towed my Ranger pickup a few times, and it didn’t require brakes either. Texas isn’t as restrictive with regulations as many other states. Not judging whether that’s good or bad — it just is.

U-Haul rents many small trailers without brakes so it must be legal in most states provided weight is low enough. I personally don’t see an issue with a sub-2,000-pound car without brakes behind a large motorhome.

Anyway, connecting the tow bar and lights isn't that bad, but toad brake requirements makes towing more undesirable to me (mostly a perception on my part). Fortunately, I haven’t needed to tow in years, and would prefer to keep it that way.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #31

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I just hope that if we ever get to that point, that there’s an easier way to hook up for towing; particularly the brakes. My observation at campgrounds is that connecting (and disconnecting to a lesser degree) takes too much time. Toad brake systems are the deal breaker for me. When I towed my dune buggy in Florida a long time ago, it didn’t require brakes. At about 1,000 pounds (more or less) it wasn’t required. I could connect and be ready to go in a few minutes. Later in Texas I towed my Ranger pickup a few times, and it didn’t require brakes either. Texas isn’t as restrictive with regulations as many other states. Not judging whether that’s good or bad — it just is.

U-Haul rents many small trailers without brakes so it must be legal in most states provided weight is low enough. I personally don’t see an issue with a sub-2,000-pound car without brakes behind a large motorhome.

Anyway, connecting the tow bar and lights isn't that bad, but toad brake requirements makes towing more undesirable to me (mostly a perception on my part). Fortunately, I haven’t needed to tow in years, and would prefer to keep it that way.
Thats why the Ready Brute Elite tow set up is great. Once installed on the toad all thats needed is clipping on the cable

Not having brakes will not automatically make you at fault but it can be a contributing factor adding to your fault or reducing the other cars fault

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you don't want to use a supplemental braking system on your Toad: that's your choice.
As for me: I'm definitely researching them, and wouldn't tow without one.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:03 PM   #33
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Thats why the Ready Brute Elite tow set up is great. Once installed on the toad all thats needed is clipping on the cable

Not having brakes will not automatically make you at fault but it can be a contributing factor adding to your fault or reducing the other cars fault

Jerry

We are no experts, as we just had our Jeep/Axis setup to tow...we have had one test run so far...and if you all have read our posts in other feeds, you know we have a Patriot Brake to go with the Blue Ox setup.

ONE THING THAT IS FRESH IN OUR MINDS is the statements our expert said after the install was complete and he did a very complete walkthrough of the setup.

He said....you want to use the Brake all the time, even tho the Jeep is a lightweight behind the Axis...simply because...if we have an extreme/sudden stop that brake will stop the Jeep...the Jeep will not be pushing on the tow bar, possibly causing damage to the Jeep or towbar….and we don't want to talk about worse case scenario.

The other thing was the cardinal rule...don't back up...don't back up.

He told us after we have hooked up and unhooked a couple times, it will take us about 5 minutes to do so.

I took a video with my phone of his tutorial !!

Everyone has their own preference....as we travel we certainly see many cars and Jeeps in tow behind motorhomes of all sizes.

HAPPY CAMPING FOLKS !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:40 PM   #34

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:

The latest issue of Motorhome Magazine states the following “Besides that, auxiliary braking systems are now required in 49 of these United States and in all Canadian provinces, so towing without a dinghy braking system isn’t even an option anymore.”
Old 08-03-2019, 10:52 PM   #35

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
The latest issue of Motorhome Magazine states the following “Besides that, auxiliary braking systems are now required in 49 of these United States and in all Canadian provinces, so towing without a dinghy braking system isn’t even an option anymore.”
But keeping in mind minimum weights allowances are different depending on the state. That said I use an auxiliary brake system in my toad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	616A300F-C50D-48E2-920F-8F9759FE12EA.png
Views:	96
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	19385  
Old 08-03-2019, 11:26 PM   #36

THOR #12830
Quote:
Ambulance chasers in a civil suit? Possibly, but only is someone were hurt; most would not take the case on contingency if the lack of brakes did not contribute to the accident.

In a court of law? Not likely if the lack of brakes did not contribute to the accident.

And don't try to tell me your insurance won't cover you either, they HAVE to cover you in an accident whether it's your fault or not. That's state mandated coverage.
Ignore as many laws or common sense practices as you like. You’ll be fine 99% of the time. That one time I hope they nail your ass. 😁
Old 08-04-2019, 02:49 AM   #37

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post

Jerry

Yup. Same is true for the Stay in Play brake system. It’s “permanently” installed in the toad and ready to go all the time. No hook up required. And it’s one of the few systems a available that offer truly proportional braking. I wouldn’t tow without a system of some sort. But that’s just me.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:31 AM   #38

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
“Toad” for us

We had small 22’ B+ for 12 years and didn’t have a toad. Let me tell ya after all those years of having to break camp every time we wanted to go town for dinner or groceries or having to break camp to sightsee we decided it was time for a change. Wife needed a new vehicle so we bought a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk last fall knowing it was towable 4 down even before we upgraded the MH. A week or two without a toad is one thing but 4-5 weeks on an extended trip is another. The old B + is gone and a 27.2 ACE has taken its place. After all the years without one we are very happy with our Cherokee “toad”. It’s hard to get Enterprise to pick you up in the Gallatin National Forest when your 40 miles from town!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote