Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2020, 02:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #11800
Dolly towing

Can I get some pros and cons on dolly towing, also will the dolly backup like a normal trailer, thank you

Old 03-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by scdet499 View Post
Can I get some pros and cons on dolly towing, also will the dolly backup like a normal trailer, thank you
Dolly is cheaper especially if towing multiple vehicles. 4 down is easier to hook and unhook, especially in the rain and mud. With a dolly there two pivot points (the ball and the pan), so backing is tricky but possible for short distances (50 ft or less).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Some dolly's don't have a pan and use the front steering of the car for pivoting (which means if you have a steering lock that you have to leave the ignition on--many modern push-button start cars don't have a steering lock).

In addition some dolly's use surge brakes which adds a step to backing up (you have to lock out the brake when going backwards otherwise the brakes will engage).

We've been using our Acme Eze-tow for 5 seasons now and four different cars without issue (it doesn't have a pan and does have surge brakes).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:04 PM   #4

Model: ACE 27.2
State: Texas
THOR #12722
Towing

I use a Tow Dolly with electric brakes and tow the wife's car, Ford Escape. She also uses it for work so the miles add up and we buy a new one every 3-4 years so a Tow dolly works for us. I also installed a brake light isolation diode system so I can use the tail lights on the toad. I haven't had any issues with either so far and it really doesn't take me long to hook it up or disconnect and go. I always get a pull thru at the camp sites so I don't have to disconnect before I park.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:10 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Something else to consider. Do you have or want a vehicle you can tow and keep for a long time? Fixing a car to tow is no small expense.

How do you plan to travel? We normally unhook each night and drive around to explore and find a local restaurant. Flat towing is much more convenient for us, that easily unhook and hook the car back up again. Four down is ideal for us, and the way we travel, now.

You won't be able to back the dolly with a car attached, and you won't back up a four down towed car more than a few feet straight back.

This has been well discussed before on this forum, try searching for "tow dolly" and you will get a lot of experience and opinions.