Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2019, 01:39 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Tow Dolly Advice Sought

We are still trying to decide on a tow dolly so here are the questions:

- Disk Brakes or Drum?
- Electric or Surge activated?
- What does the weight plate me when it says "load limit 3,000 Lbs - is that total weight or just what sits on the dolly, and how do I figure out how much of the weight of my 2014 Ford Fusion SE?
- Will I still need lights on the back of the vehicle if I have a Tow Dolly with lights? I think so but just asking?
- Ramps - slide under or removable?

While I know there are a lot of opinions on each question, I'm leaning toward the Acme product from Kernersville NC - about 85 miles away from me, but saw a great deal on a used 2017 - just has the 3k weight limit and electric drum brakes.

Thanks for any feedback
Chuck

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:00 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yup you're going to get all kinds of opinions on all kinds of dolly's. The one each person uses will be the best and most capable--or at least "works for me".

They all work and will pull the car.

My guess would be that 3k weight is the axle weight you can put on the dolly (is that from the Acme specs?).

To add my $0.02: I've pulled 4 cars now with our Acme EZE-Tow dolly: Focus Electric, Escape, C-Max, and Chevy Bolt, and it "works for me"
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:05 AM   #3

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
I drove to North Carolina and picked up our dolly at the factory. They were very nice and gave a great tutorial on the dolly. I wanted a dolly with surge brakes, and they were the closest to us with what we wanted. I asked one place if they could get a dolly with surge brakes so I could check it out, they said yes if you buy it first.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:22 AM   #4

THOR #13712
Thanks Factory is about 85 miles from here. That might be the plan at this point, while a 2017 is not old, it's not new and the price difference is not that great.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:23 AM   #5

THOR #13712
Thanks

Old 01-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #6

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
Before we went to flat towing we had the Acme EZ Tow dolly. I liked the surge breaks and loved how light it was and that you could store it in your garage standing straight up, taking very little space. When on the road depending on your parking space you can store it standing straight up at the back of your MH and secure it to the ladder. My only complaint was that there is no wheel pan for the car wheels to sit in. I think a wheel pan would make easier to secure, or maybe find a way to secure a wheel chock on the back of the wheels.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:39 PM   #7

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
We are still trying to decide on a tow dolly so here are the questions:

- Disk Brakes or Drum?
- Electric or Surge activated?
- What does the weight plate me when it says "load limit 3,000 Lbs - is that total weight or just what sits on the dolly, and how do I figure out how much of the weight of my 2014 Ford Fusion SE?
- Will I still need lights on the back of the vehicle if I have a Tow Dolly with lights? I think so but just asking?
- Ramps - slide under or removable?
Here is my two cents:
*Disc brakes stop better than drums, drums will work, regardless.
*Electric means you have to have a controller installed and wired to your trailer hitch connector plug.
Unless you are pulling something really really heavy, the surge braking should be fine.
*Agree with JamieGeek on being the dolly's axle load weight and I doubt the Ford Fusion equals that in entirety.
*From what I understand, some states will allow no added lights to the towed vehicle, and some do.
*The ramps, in the long run, do you want to lay down to remove them, or install them for unloading? Even if it raining, or had rained? Bring extra throw rugs anyway.

Granted, for what it's worth, my opinions yes.
I am gathering this all in, even from other posts, and for me, I want quality, ease of use, steerable dolly wheels, of course gonna cost a lot more too.
I am sure you will do fine, because like me, you are researching your options too.

*Add note, I do not have my first mile towing anything by dolly.
I have pulled many a mile with a trailer, and drove a wrecker for a while back in the day!

Tags
tow dolly, tow dolly with brakes, towed brake systems