Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2017, 11:34 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: New Mexico
THOR #4547
towing and turning

Hi everyone--we are still in the "looking" phase, and I have a question about towing. We are thinking about a 32-34 ft motorhome (maybe a Windsport/Hurricane 29M) and also thinking about a jeep as a toad. So here's my question--Does towing a vehicle change the pivot point when you turn? What are the primary considerations regarding learning to tow a vehicle? Thank you!

Old 05-05-2017, 12:05 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
no, the vehicle follows your path, and usually well within the lines of the drive tires - never been an issue
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:46 AM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
We have a 2015 Challenger 37TB with a Ford Explorer Toad. The toad tracks with the rear wheels with no off track.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
The 32-34 foot RV changes the pivot point when you turn compared to any smaller vehicle... the toad will be tight behind you whatever you do. I tow a 2010 Wrangler behind my 33 foot 2014 Hurricane - its a good combination.

The biggest things to remember when towing (4 down or dolly):
  • assume you cannot back-up. Have an 'exit strategy' going forward for any place you put yourself into (gas stations, etc..)
  • You are even longer/heavier than before - when passing, changing lanes, etc - need to remember its back there. You will accelerate slower, and need more clearance.
I leave my rear camera on at all times when towing (except when my Jensen decides to 'blank screen') - as an extra reminder there is something back there.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Keep in mind, with the longer motorhomes, you have to watch for where the rear axle is when making a turn anyway. So you are already going past the street a little so that doesn't hit the curb.

On most motorhomes the wheelbase is going to be longer than the toad which means just avoiding the curb with the rear axles means the toad will be far away from the curb.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Most of the issues we've run into with the toad are gas stations that are not RV friendly. There have been some instances where we had to disconnect the toad. Our recent fix to that problem, Flying J stations. They have at least two RV friendly lanes for gas and diesel fueling. Otherwise, the toad tracks behind the coach without issue. The key is remembering that you cannot back up with the toad in tow so always look for the forward exiting approach.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:50 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: New Mexico
THOR #4547
Thank you!

Thank you all so much--this is very helpful!
Old 05-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Might mention one other factor, tail swing. Some RVs have up to 30 inches of tail swing, which can make those guard pipes or concrete islands snag the back corner.

Driving an RV, you just have to always be always mindful of the height, width and total length of your rig.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #9

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
On the larger motor homes, you have to account for tail swing. If your are turning sharply left, remember the tail, along with the toad, will first swing right, then follow. I always towed with our 41 foot DP and never had a problem, but I was very aware of where everything was all the time.