Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 GT
State: North Carolina
THOR #7843
Towing a 1 ton 4x4 behind motorhome

Hello,

I am would like some ideas for a tow vehicle. Here is my situation, currently I have a 2015 Thor Challenger 37gt with a 2007 Jeep Liberty towing 4 down.

Our Jeep has 250,000 miles on it so we are looking to change vehicles. Now we are also pondering of going to a 5th wheel and selling our home and becoming full timers. Now Ideally we would find someone selling a 5th wheel and truck and just trade or sale both the motor home and Jeep at the same time and just purchase what we need, but how many times does that happen?

I don't want to buy another Jeep and 2 months later try to trade it in for a truck to tow the 5th wheel. By the same token I don't want to sell the motorhome for a 5th wheel with out something to pull it with.

What I'm considering doing is to find a 1 Ton truck and set it up for flat towing and tow it behind the MH until we make the jump to the 5th wheel. I have found very little info on what is towable 4 down in a large truck.

Any suggestions for which direction to start looking would be appreciated. Does anyone else tow a large truck?

thanks
Don

Old 05-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
Don, I have a 37 foot Miramar with the V 10 triton engine, I towed my Dodge ram 1500 across the United States and back this winter with absolutely no issues. I have the blue ox towbar and the RVI brake 3 set up. My steering wheel does not lock, so there was no issue as far as leaving the truck on accessory. I also have a trickle charge battery charger that keeps the truck battery full while we are towing. Hope this information helps

Old 05-15-2019, 09:13 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The issue with that idea is that you have to have a really good idea of the 5er you want to get as many of them cannot be pulled behind a 1500/F-150/ 1/2 ton pickup.

You may need a 3/4 or even 1 ton pickup for the 5er you're interested in. Our old simple Cougar 5th wheel required at least a 3/4 ton (make sure you check the pickups GVWR against the tongue weight of the 5er--that is usually the limiting factor).

Edit: You already said "1 ton 4x4"--never mind you've already considered this.

Additional note: A 1 ton is pretty heavy to be pulling behind a motorhome. What does your Challenger weigh? How much GCWR extra do you have?

A RAM 3500 weighs between 5800 and 7700 lbs
F-350 weighs between 5800 and 7700 lbs
Chevy 3500 weighs between 5900 and 8000 lbs

Check your hitch, it may only be 5000 lb hitch.
JamieGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:14 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Georgia
THOR #11130
If you're for sure going the 5th wheel route soon...I would just make a clean break for it. Mixing it up causes too many possibilities something may not work wit the other. There's a big difference in a 1500 vs. a 3500 and all the 4 down gear is expensive. You looking for a dually 3500 or SRW? If your Jeep runs OK...keep towing it till you're ready.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:14 PM   #5
We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
... With a one-ton truck: you're probably better set up for towing the Challenger behind it!

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #6

THOR #7843
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The issue with that idea is that you have to have a really good idea of the 5er you want to get as many of them cannot be pulled behind a 1500/F-150/ 1/2 ton pickup.

You may need a 3/4 or even 1 ton pickup for the 5er you're interested in. Our old simple Cougar 5th wheel required at least a 3/4 ton (make sure you check the pickups GVWR against the tongue weight of the 5er--that is usually the limiting factor).

Edit: You already said "1 ton 4x4"--never mind you've already considered this.

Additional note: A 1 ton is pretty heavy to be pulling behind a motorhome. What does your Challenger weigh? How much GCWR extra do you have?

A RAM 3500 weighs between 5800 and 7700 lbs
F-350 weighs between 5800 and 7700 lbs
Chevy 3500 weighs between 5900 and 8000 lbs

Check your hitch, it may only be 5000 lb hitch.
It is 5000 lb hitch weight. I also started thinking about all the wear and tear on those big tires too, our last trip we put on 10000 miles on the MH and another 8000 on the jeep, all in all about 26000 total on MH alone, a lot more than that on the jeep, thats a lot of tires. Thanks I didn't even think about the weight of the truck its self either, as far as being towed with my hitch.

I will have to re-think this. Thanks for the input!

Thanks
Don
Old 05-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #7

THOR #7843
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
If you're for sure going the 5th wheel route soon...I would just make a clean break for it. Mixing it up causes too many possibilities something may not work wit the other. There's a big difference in a 1500 vs. a 3500 and all the 4 down gear is expensive. You looking for a dually 3500 or SRW? If your Jeep runs OK...keep towing it till you're ready.
It has its problems, like 250000 miles, but your right, it may be a better course of action to nurse it along and get the truck and get it set up for when we do. It does make more since doing it that way. A lot less wear and tear on the big truck to tow it as much as we travel. As noted in another post there is a lot of miles on my rigs and most of the miles on the jeep are tow miles which don't show on the odometer. I had to replace the tires once already on the jeep due to wear! I'd rather not do that to 6 tires the size of the 1 ton uses. $$$$$!!!

Thanks
Don