Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 GT
State: North Carolina
THOR #7843
Towing a 1 ton 4x4 behind motorhome

Hello,

I am would like some ideas for a tow vehicle. Here is my situation, currently I have a 2015 Thor Challenger 37gt with a 2007 Jeep Liberty towing 4 down.

Our Jeep has 250,000 miles on it so we are looking to change vehicles. Now we are also pondering of going to a 5th wheel and selling our home and becoming full timers. Now Ideally we would find someone selling a 5th wheel and truck and just trade or sale both the motor home and Jeep at the same time and just purchase what we need, but how many times does that happen?

I don't want to buy another Jeep and 2 months later try to trade it in for a truck to tow the 5th wheel. By the same token I don't want to sell the motorhome for a 5th wheel with out something to pull it with.

What I'm considering doing is to find a 1 Ton truck and set it up for flat towing and tow it behind the MH until we make the jump to the 5th wheel. I have found very little info on what is towable 4 down in a large truck.

Any suggestions for which direction to start looking would be appreciated. Does anyone else tow a large truck?

thanks
Don

Old 05-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
Don, I have a 37 foot Miramar with the V 10 triton engine, I towed my Dodge ram 1500 across the United States and back this winter with absolutely no issues. I have the blue ox towbar and the RVI brake 3 set up. My steering wheel does not lock, so there was no issue as far as leaving the truck on accessory. I also have a trickle charge battery charger that keeps the truck battery full while we are towing. Hope this information helps
Old 05-15-2019, 09:13 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The issue with that idea is that you have to have a really good idea of the 5er you want to get as many of them cannot be pulled behind a 1500/F-150/ 1/2 ton pickup.

You may need a 3/4 or even 1 ton pickup for the 5er you're interested in. Our old simple Cougar 5th wheel required at least a 3/4 ton (make sure you check the pickups GVWR against the tongue weight of the 5er--that is usually the limiting factor).

Edit: You already said "1 ton 4x4"--never mind you've already considered this.

Additional note: A 1 ton is pretty heavy to be pulling behind a motorhome. What does your Challenger weigh? How much GCWR extra do you have?

A RAM 3500 weighs between 5800 and 7700 lbs
F-350 weighs between 5800 and 7700 lbs
Chevy 3500 weighs between 5900 and 8000 lbs

Check your hitch, it may only be 5000 lb hitch.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:14 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
If you're for sure going the 5th wheel route soon...I would just make a clean break for it. Mixing it up causes too many possibilities something may not work wit the other. There's a big difference in a 1500 vs. a 3500 and all the 4 down gear is expensive. You looking for a dually 3500 or SRW? If your Jeep runs OK...keep towing it till you're ready.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:14 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
... With a one-ton truck: you're probably better set up for towing the Challenger behind it!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #6

THOR #7843
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The issue with that idea is that you have to have a really good idea of the 5er you want to get as many of them cannot be pulled behind a 1500/F-150/ 1/2 ton pickup.

You may need a 3/4 or even 1 ton pickup for the 5er you're interested in. Our old simple Cougar 5th wheel required at least a 3/4 ton (make sure you check the pickups GVWR against the tongue weight of the 5er--that is usually the limiting factor).

Edit: You already said "1 ton 4x4"--never mind you've already considered this.

Additional note: A 1 ton is pretty heavy to be pulling behind a motorhome. What does your Challenger weigh? How much GCWR extra do you have?

A RAM 3500 weighs between 5800 and 7700 lbs
F-350 weighs between 5800 and 7700 lbs
Chevy 3500 weighs between 5900 and 8000 lbs

It is 5000 lb hitch weight. I also started thinking about all the wear and tear on those big tires too, our last trip we put on 10000 miles on the MH and another 8000 on the jeep, all in all about 26000 total on MH alone, a lot more than that on the jeep, thats a lot of tires. Thanks I didn't even think about the weight of the truck its self either, as far as being towed with my hitch.

I will have to re-think this. Thanks for the input!

Thanks
Don
Old 05-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #7

THOR #7843
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
If you're for sure going the 5th wheel route soon...I would just make a clean break for it. Mixing it up causes too many possibilities something may not work wit the other. There's a big difference in a 1500 vs. a 3500 and all the 4 down gear is expensive. You looking for a dually 3500 or SRW? If your Jeep runs OK...keep towing it till you're ready.
It has its problems, like 250000 miles, but your right, it may be a better course of action to nurse it along and get the truck and get it set up for when we do. It does make more since doing it that way. A lot less wear and tear on the big truck to tow it as much as we travel. As noted in another post there is a lot of miles on my rigs and most of the miles on the jeep are tow miles which don't show on the odometer. I had to replace the tires once already on the jeep due to wear! I'd rather not do that to 6 tires the size of the 1 ton uses. $$$$$!!!

Thanks
Don
Old 05-21-2019, 11:46 PM   #8
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
The issue with that idea is that you have to

Jamie...I know you have been towing for some time. We just bought a used Jeep Sport to tow...giving up on the motorcycles at this stage in life.

We know our Jeep can be towed 4 down...but know nothing about it. The tow bar...the brakes (this is our biggest question)

We also, had someone recommend a trailer...which has its good points.

What is your thinking on this matter?

Thanks Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:32 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Jamie...I know you have been towing for some time. We just bought a used Jeep Sport to tow...giving up on the motorcycles at this stage in life.

We know our Jeep can be towed 4 down...but know nothing about it. The tow bar...the brakes (this is our biggest question)

Thanks Kay
There are quite a few detailed topics on here about towing 4 down. Since I've never done it I can't really help with specifics (other than knowing you'll need the tow bar, and a braking system and I think a mount plate for the Jeep).

I think going 4 down is better than a trailer especially since the trailer will add weight possibly pushing you over the limit (and a trailer will be a bit more involved when getting ready to go).

I think I'd start with the Jeep's owner's manual and check that 4 down is possible (which it likely is as Jeeps are very popular for 4 down towing).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:22 AM   #10
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
There are quite a few detailed topics on here about towing 4 down. Since I've never done it I can't really help with specifics (other than knowing you'll need the tow bar, and a braking system and I think a mount plate for the Jeep).

I think going 4 down is better than a trailer especially since the trailer will add weight possibly pushing you over the limit (and a trailer will be a bit more involved when getting ready to go).

I think I'd start with the Jeep's owner's manual and check that 4 down is possible (which it likely is as Jeeps are very popular for 4 down towing).
thank you … I thought you had towed 4 down...I appreciate your feedback
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-22-2019, 01:26 AM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
By the time You add all the purchase costs of a heavy duty 1 ton and the costs of a comparable quality 5'r... You can get a few years old DP with a 400/450 hp and keep on tow'n the jeep for another few years..or even go for a 1/2 tonner just for gadd'n around...And a half ton is much easier to navigate & do shopping in the cities..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #12

THOR #7843
Angry Towing 4 down

Quote:

Thanks Kay
The main thing is to check to owners manual for Recreational towing. Sometimes it will vary from model to model and year to year. Basically you need to put your transfer switch in neutral in order to tow but there again each vehicle will have its own thing.

As far as what you need for towing along with what you mentioned you will need an base plate adapter for your specific vehicle. Each make / model has its own base plate that may not fit something else. I put mine in myself, but it is a good idea to have it done by the pros since this is what is going to hold everything together.

From there you need a braking system for the towed. There are several options, A brake buddy type of system that you set a big box in the drivers floor board and hook to your break pedal, I personally don't care for this type just for the fact that you have to store the break buddy which takes up room and is one more thing to have to carry around and it still has to be wired in like the Play-N-Stay (see next paragraph) and at the time I got mine was around the same price for either one.

I use the Play-N-Stay. It is a small box that mounts under your hood and a even smaller box mounted inside out of the way. It hooks directly to your break pedal and you never have to mess with it, other than to turn it on and off, which is no big deal if you forget to turn it off. There is also one called Air force One for Pushers. I personally want one that works just off of the trailer plug power so I can tow with any vehicle.

Next you will need a wiring harness for your lights. I use one from camping world that although you have to run the harness to the rear of the vehicle ( which is really no big deal and very easy to do) once there you never have to think about it. It has some diodes that will allow the lights from your MH to be duplicated on your tow using your normal lights of the towed with out feeding back and damaging something.

As far as Tow Bars there are many to choose from just make sure it matches up to your base plate of the towed. I found a used one and saved a bunch of $$$ but there again a road master won't fit a Blue Ox so make sure that you match them and that they will work together. I have a blue Ox and like it, but there are a lot to choose from. The main thing to look for is the ease of hooking and un hooking. Some of them will get in a bind if your MH and tow are not level and straight, others are more forgiving and will allow some more wiggle room. You can plan on having to unhook at times that you can't straighten out and if your tow bar is in a bind well lets just say you may discover a few more choice words! Also if your rigs are not level when you release the pressure on the tow bar your tow will roll one way or the other, so make sure your not in the way!!!

That is about all I can think of right now, just ask a lot of questions and explore all the choices. It really is not that complicated as I may have made it sound, it's just better to make an informed choice and to know why this one is better than that one and which will work for you.

Good luck I hope this helps.

Don
Old 05-22-2019, 12:40 PM   #13

THOR #11130
"We also, had someone recommend a trailer...which has its good points."

This is my choice, by far. Both methods have equal pros an cons. You can back up with a trailer, like at fuel pumps, getting into tight spaces, etc...can't back more than one foot with 4 down. Cost of the parts and pieces for 4 down are probably more than a trailer. Trailer allows for more option (portable generators, ladders, dog fencing, extra fuel and water for boondocking, etc.) Trailer tires are much cheaper than Jeep tires. It's your choice and both work well. The biggest difference is the power to handle the additional weight of the trailer. For the record...I also have a tow bar for my Jeep which I can use for short pulls to races an local events. No brakes but should not be an issue with a YJ.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:34 PM   #14
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
"We also, had someone recommend a trailer...which has its good points."

This is my choice, by far. Both methods have equal pros an cons. You can back up with a trailer, like at fuel pumps, getting into tight spaces, etc...can't back more than one foot with 4 down. Cost of the parts and pieces for 4 down are probably more than a trailer. Trailer allows for more option (portable generators, ladders, dog fencing, extra fuel and water for boondocking, etc.) Trailer tires are much cheaper than Jeep tires. It's your choice and both work well. The biggest difference is the power to handle the additional weight of the trailer. For the record...I also have a tow bar for my Jeep which I can use for short pulls to races an local events. No brakes but should not be an issue with a YJ.
Thanks ! this is a difficult choice to make for us...as Ron has pulled various trailers for many years...definitely his comfort zone. We are looking at a 14' flat trailer Friday..weight of trailer and tj (3200) falls within towing capabilities of Axis. He understands short comings of towing 4 DOWN and is weighing the $$ difference between the two...knowing that wear and tear of towing the tj 4 down has its own issues. Ultimately, it will be his decision.

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #15

THOR #11130
14' would be really tight...mine is a 16' and the YJ fits very snug but lots of things can be bolted/attached under the Jeep. It is a difficult trigger to pull. Every time I see a rig going down the road towing 4 down...I think...that looks so normal. I've had a few look at my trailer set up and say..."wish I had done it that way". Tire wear on aggressive tires is one of my biggest issues...those tires are not cheap. Then you factor in all the drama of both set ups...it gets confusing. Both are very safe...it's just a matter of what seems to work better for your use and plans.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #16
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
14' would be really tight...mine is a 16' and the YJ fits very snug but lots of things can be bolted/attached under the Jeep. It is a difficult trigger to pull. Every time I see a rig going down the road towing 4 down...I think...that looks so normal. I've had a few look at my trailer set up and say..."wish I had done it that way". Tire wear on aggressive tires is one of my biggest issues...those tires are not cheap. Then you factor in all the drama of both set ups...it gets confusing. Both are very safe...it's just a matter of what seems to work better for your use and plans.
the only reason I was investigating a 14' is trying to keep length to a minimum..along with tongue length...TJ is 10.5' .. doesn't leave much room for anything else...and Ron is very aware of keeping trailer level and tongue weight proper.

I will overload Ron with info and see what he decides !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-26-2019, 01:21 AM   #17

Model: Palazzo
THOR #7569
We tow a Chevy Equinox four down. True that we can't back up, but we can be hooked up and ready to go in less than 5 minutes. We can unhook in about two. Don't have to load the vehicle on a trailer and strap it down. We also don't have to worry about a place to keep the trailer when we reach our destination.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:54 AM   #18
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmyoung61 View Post
We tow a Chevy Equinox four down. True that we can't back up, but we can be hooked up and ready to go in less than 5 minutes. We can unhook in about two. Don't have to load the vehicle on a trailer and strap it down. We also don't have to worry about a place to keep the trailer when we reach our destination.
Thank you....proponents of a trailer, state that there is no wear n tear on tires and vehicle.
Is the tire wear, etc. not that significant when towing 4 down ?

Ron
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-26-2019, 12:59 PM   #19

Model: Palazzo
THOR #7569
Quote:
Thank you....proponents of a trailer, state that there is no wear n tear on tires and vehicle.
Is the tire wear, etc. not that significant when towing 4 down ?

Ron
We have almost 50,000 miles on the Equinox. That's actual driving miles, as it doesn't run up miles while towing. We have a little over 20,000 on the motorhome and almost all of that is towing the Equinox. So - almost 70,000 miles on the original tires. We just had them rotated and our tire guy said they should be good for about 10,000 more.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:24 PM   #20
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmyoung61 View Post
We have almost 50,000 miles on the Equinox. That's actual driving miles, as it doesn't run up miles while towing. We have a little over 20,000 on the motorhome and almost all of that is towing the Equinox. So - almost 70,000 miles on the original tires. We just had them rotated and our tire guy said they should be good for about 10,000 more.
you have been a big help in making our decision...Ron sez he had, pretty much, decided on 4 down...even tho he is a trailer guy !
now, just need to acquire required equipment !! We have done waaaay to much research and know we have many options !
Jeep Wrangler TJ