Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ontario
THOR #8833
Towing 10,000lb Trailer with F550/Super C Chassis

Looking at Super C's and the specs for the Thor Four Winds/Chateau Super C's, they look pretty impressive when it comes to the GCWR vs GVWR suggesting there should be no issue from a rating perspective of towing a 10,000lb 26' enclosed trailer (hitch is also rated for this).

My biggest concern looking at the Thor Super C's is the size of the overhang over the rear wheels, so I'm just looking for people's experience with towing a trailer this heavy and any issue with the handling at highway speeds, passing semi's.

I would obviously ensure that proper weight distribution, sway control, and brake controller are used, I'm also ok with installing air bags on the RV itself it that's recommended, but some of my research on other Super C's revealed that installation of front end stabilizer links and bars can also be necessary, so just wanted to know what I might be getting myself into before making the purchase.

If this is discussed elsewhere, please point me to those threads, I tried to search but didn't come with anything quite like this. Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

Old 08-18-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by swrving View Post
so I'm just looking for people's experience with towing a trailer this heavy and any issue with the handling at highway speeds, passing semi's.
That's your first problem. Why would you be concerned with passing semi's towing a 10,000 lb trailer with that rig? You should be more concerned with the semi's passing you.
The longer the distance between the rear axle and the hitch pivot point the more leverage the trailer has to push the tow vehicle around. You would absolutely need a weight distribution, integrated cam-lock sway control hitch. Don't even think about the friction sway control.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:57 AM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #2121
I'd suggest confirming that the 10,000-pound rated receiver hitch has enough tongue weight rating to handle your trailer. This subject has come up various times with similar 8,000-pound receivers that only had 500-pound tongue weight ratings; thereby effectively limiting towing capacity below the 8,000 pounds.

I don't know if the same applies to the 10,000-pound receiver you're considering, but I'd check into it just to make sure.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:28 AM   #4

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
10k trailer

10,000 k trailer is a lot of weight, how big is the trailer?? rear overhang is gonna cause a lot of problems. the semi's are gonna blow you all over the road.

this is why i went with a outlaw toy hauler, to eliminate the trailer.

you probably should move up to a frieghtliner chassis for such a large trailer
Old 08-19-2017, 08:58 PM   #5

THOR #8833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
That's your first problem. Why would you be concerned with passing semi's towing a 10,000 lb trailer with that rig? You should be more concerned with the semi's passing you.
The longer the distance between the rear axle and the hitch pivot point the more leverage the trailer has to push the tow vehicle around. You would absolutely need a weight distribution, integrated cam-lock sway control hitch. Don't even think about the friction sway control.
Thanks for the advice - I'm not looking to be a demon on the highways, that said, would like to be able to do 65-70mph, and where I am semis are often only doing 55mph, but the point of being passed by semis is also valid in some areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmetal View Post
10,000 k trailer is a lot of weight, how big is the trailer?? rear overhang is gonna cause a lot of problems. the semi's are gonna blow you all over the road.

this is why i went with a outlaw toy hauler, to eliminate the trailer.

you probably should move up to a frieghtliner chassis for such a large trailer
The trailer itself is 4200lbs (26' long), but the load it's carrying could get up to 10,000lbs, although normally will be closer to 8500lbs.

The main thing I've found is the Freightliner chassis with the ability to tow this much are nearly $70k more.

But this is why I'm asking before buying! Thanks for the opinions.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The Ford motor is strong but when you factor in the weight of the coach and the trailer that's going to be a strain IMHO. Just because the hitch says 10,000 lbs doesn't mean you can effectively, or even should, pull that much weight.

If you have a 550 truck pulling 10,000 lbs it's a lot different than a motorhome pulling it.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I think the questions that needs answering are:

- those of you with the F-550 chassis models, what do you tow and how does it handle?

- those of you with the F-550 chassis models, what are your weights so that we can see real world how these things stack up against the capacity ratings for your axles, GVWR, and GCVWR....with normal camping loads, tanks full, etc... what are your front and rear axle weights without a trailer hitched?
Old 08-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #8

THOR #8833
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I think the questions that needs answering are:

- those of you with the F-550 chassis models, what do you tow and how does it handle?

- those of you with the F-550 chassis models, what are your weights so that we can see real world how these things stack up against the capacity ratings for your axles, GVWR, and GCVWR....with normal camping loads, tanks full, etc... what are your front and rear axle weights without a trailer hitched?
Yes the real-world experience is what I'm looking for.

The 2018 Thor Super C's are rated at GVWR of 19,500lbs and GCWR of 35,000lbs and Hitch Rating of 10,000lbs, so in theory what I'm asking should be possible, but would like to hear what people have actually done.

Looking up the specs of the F450 itself (one could surmise that the F550 wouldn't be less):
- A maximum gooseneck tow rating of 32,500 lbs. for the Ford F-450 Super Duty SuperCrew 4x4, with maximum fifth-wheel towing increased to 27,500 lbs.
- Maximum gross combined weight rating for truck and trailer now tops out at 41,800 lbs.

So I don't thinkn the F550's powertrain will be a limitation, rather how does the Thor Chassis with trailer behave being the telling factor.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by swrving View Post
Yes the real-world experience is what I'm looking for.

The 2018 Thor Super C's are rated at GVWR of 19,500lbs and GCWR of 35,000lbs and Hitch Rating of 10,000lbs, so in theory what I'm asking should be possible, but would like to hear what people have actually done.

Looking up the specs of the F450 itself (one could surmise that the F550 wouldn't be less):
- A maximum gooseneck tow rating of 32,500 lbs. for the Ford F-450 Super Duty SuperCrew 4x4, with maximum fifth-wheel towing increased to 27,500 lbs.
- Maximum gross combined weight rating for truck and trailer now tops out at 41,800 lbs.

So I don't thinkn the F550's powertrain will be a limitation, rather how does the Thor Chassis with trailer behave being the telling factor.
So the real comparison would not be with gooseneck/5th wheel type towing capacities - but with what can be towed by a rear receiver in the 450/550 class... The gooseneck arrangement will always allow more - and significantly more would be my expectation...
and... looking it up:
"With a maximum towing capability of 31,800 lbs. for 5th-wheel trailers and 18,500 lbs. for conventional trailers,"
Source: https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/...DtyCC_Sep7.pdf

Take the 550 rear receiver numbers and start decreasing - you will have MUCH more distance from rear axle to hitch and starting with something that won't handle on its own anything like a stock F550...

Be great to hear what people with the setup have done...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:44 PM   #10

THOR #8833
^ You're correct!

Bottom line is with the from the factory equipment, a 10,000lb trailer should be possible, but reality may say otherwise.

IIRC the Jayco Seneca comes with a 10,000lb hitch, but only 5000lb between the GVWR and GCWR which means you could never tow 10,000lb trailer. So it's always important to closely look at all the numbers.

Hopefully someone has some first hand experience!

Tags
heavy trailer, towing