Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2019, 05:15 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
? I leave it on the rig not in the rig. Locked receiver, plugged in, bagged over.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:31 AM   #42
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodTX View Post
Here's some pics I just snapped. One is the tow bar in the stowed position with cover. Next with the cover off and then pulled up ready to hook. The arms contract and extend about 8" to allow folding. They lock when fully extended. It's very convenient when hooking up because there's adjustment so you don't have to be perfectly spaced. This is not a unit that easily unhooks if you're not straight and level, but I keep a pry bar in the trunk and I've never been stuck.
Recently we setup our, new to us, Jeep to tow 4 down behind the Axis. The fellas who did the install set ours up so our tow bar folds behind the Axis, rather than on the front of the Jeep. I have seen them both ways...what is advantage of having it attached to the vehicle?...the fact that you don't have to deal with removing the pins from the d rings? or something else.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:32 AM   #43
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
? I leave it on the rig not in the rig. Locked receiver, plugged in, bagged over.
yes...exactly...
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-25-2019, 02:45 AM   #44
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post

He's right about price and I'll add some additional comments: I find it easier to stow the tow bar set up if I'm staying somewhere long term. I can stash the tow bar, wiring, and brake assist in a storage bay of the RV - out of sight and out of the way.

My set up cost me about 1500. All of the stuff was used and bought on this forum. Good people, good deals. I did all the labor myself: base plate, wiring harness, brake assist, etc. I have the tools (e.g. torque wrench).

If you plan to do the install yourself, do some research on your firewall passage ways. The reason I say that is because I stumbled across a forum that was guiding someone through routing a 12v power source into the cabin of their vehicle. That's how I found out about a hidden rubber grommet I could use/modify/seal to carry the 12v payload I needed for the brake assist.

Don't skimp on a brake assist for two reasons: 1) all of them have a break-away switch. God forbid the toad breaks loose from the RV, the brake assist will apply the brakes and bring the vehicle to a stop. You don't want to be responsible for killing a family of 4 because you cheaped out on a brake assist. 2) Flip a coin. You can replace the brakes in your RV sooner because it has to stop a heavier load, or as I do, replace both sets of brakes because the brake assist is a proportional braking system (Blue Ox Patriot). It applies the brakes in the toad as the RV’s brakes are applied. There’s a ‘gain’ setting on the brake-assist to adjust the proportion. You can have the RV take more of the load of slowing the toad or the toad can bear most of the burden of slowing itself. If you forego a brake assist all together, have a darn good insurance policy or you could find yourself in the poor house real fast. JMHO.
Well stated !! Our setup on the Jeep is Blue Ox base plate and tow bar package including all the cables, wires etc...with a used Patriot brake.& breakaway cable setup. We had it installed...at one time Ron would have done it himself...mind sez he can do it..body sez...now don't get too excited about this. So we paid the extra to have it done. We have a bag we stow all the elec. cable, etc. in when unhooked. Our tow bar is folded up behind the Axis. and...instead of purchasing the Blue Ox cover for the tow bar...we took a cover from a lawn chair we do not use...it fits perfectly ! That is the only $$ we saved on this whole thing !! ha !

looking forward to updates from you !

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-25-2019, 03:04 AM   #45
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Since you're going to tow something of value to you: it might be best to stick with the brand name products that have a good reputation.
We're considering a Blue Ox/Patriot system.
Our Blue Ox setup..which you can view at their website...including a used Patriot Brake and Breakaway, installed $2800. We caught a break on the Patriot which works perfect...it was a trade in when folks bought a pusher with a different braking system. $700 for the Patriot !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #46

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
My Demco plate and tow bar has performed well and was reasonably priced for the F150
Old 08-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #47

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodTX View Post
Here's some pics I just snapped. One is the tow bar in the stowed position with cover. Next with the cover off and then pulled up ready to hook. The arms contract and extend about 8" to allow folding. They lock when fully extended. It's very convenient when hooking up because there's adjustment so you don't have to be perfectly spaced. This is not a unit that easily unhooks if you're not straight and level, but I keep a pry bar in the trunk and I've never been stuck.
I get it. You have a ball type receiver. If it’s called that. No wonder it’s on the car. Rather use a receiver tube.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Our Blue Ox setup..which you can view at their website...including a used Patriot Brake and Breakaway, installed $2800. We caught a break on the Patriot which works perfect...it was a trade in when folks bought a pusher with a different braking system. $700 for the Patriot !
Nice... VERY nice!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:44 PM   #49

State: Florida
THOR #15940
My baseplate for a F150 was $440 plus $350 installation. It's the hidden type.

The Blue Ox Patriot 3 was $1200 wireless.

I used my old Roadmaster Eagle 8000 but a good high capacity motorhome mounted one will cost $1000 new

I used LED magnet mount lights from Harbor Freight that I pinned to my cargo loops , they were much brighter and in your face than more expensive options. $19.95!

So right around $3,000 if I had to buy a new to bar.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:24 AM   #50

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
We bought a 2019 Jeep Wrangler in June and after reading the advice of all the Rvers on this forum and a few hours of Youtube videos, we just ordered all Blue Ox components this afternoon - totaled $1300 with tax and free shipping from Amazon. This included the cover for the towbar and a hitch for the Jeep (unrelated to its "toad" duties).

We have not yet decided on a braking system but will be doing that next. Mr. Homer will be doing all the work so we are saving money there.

Thanks for everybody that contributed to our previous question! It was all very helpful.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:22 AM   #51

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ohio
THOR #14952
Lots of information from so many people, thanks so much for taking the time to reply[emoji106][emoji16]
Old 09-06-2019, 03:58 AM   #52

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ohio
THOR #14952
Update: We decided to buy a car to tow, so I am buying and picking up a 2016 Ford Fiesta tomorrow. Double/triple checked that it can be towed 4 down, since I made the mistake of thinking that about my Subaru. Then I will re- examine all your replies, watch some youtube videos and make a decision about what system would be best for us. All of your replies will help us a lot! Thanks again!
Old 09-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #53

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #9701
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichFigs View Post
Thank you Halfprice and GMC for your input, (been so busy setting up rig for our next "adventure" forgot to respond). The '97 TJ has a steering lock, so will be disconnecting the battery. Will be test driving this weekend... thanks again.

UPDATE: Test drive went well and left on an extended trip out west over the Labor day weekend. After 2 and 1/2 weeks on the road, 2000 plus miles and lots of varying terrains our Ready Brute has worked flawlessly. Yesterday, we encountered a 7% downhill grade into Steamboat Springs. The combined Tow/Haul feature on the Ford transmission and the Ready Brake system on our Jeep-TJ, made this long (7 mile) stretch a breeze! Very Happy we chose this set up...
Old 12-15-2019, 02:31 AM   #54

THOR #1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
16ACE27 said it best, what ever I have is naturally the best and brand loyalty will come into play. His cost break down are about what you can expect for material. If you have to pay someone to do the work add in an extra $800 to $1200.

My set up going on 8 camping seasons -
NSA Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar $1160
NSA Break Away Kit $100
Blue Ox Base Plate (2005 Honda CRV) $430
Lighting Set Up (can't recall specifics) around $30

I did the work myself so no shop labor costs. Went with a NSA Tow Bar for the integrated braking capability.
I have been using a dolly but just purchased a Jeep Wrangler and just so happens I am looking at the same towing setup as you have.. Does the surge braking system on the NSA Elite tow bar work ok. Do you run into any problems with it?
Old 12-15-2019, 04:07 AM   #55

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassoneman View Post
I have been using a dolly but just purchased a Jeep Wrangler and just so happens I am looking at the same towing setup as you have.. Does the surge braking system on the NSA Elite tow bar work ok. Do you run into any problems with it?

Well FWIW, I just set up my 2004 Wrangler for towing. I used a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar and an SMI Stay In Play braking system. I did all the work myself and even still I’m into it for about $2500. I’m very pleased with my choices, especially the Stay In Play. I like that it’s always ready and only requires flipping a switch when we hitch. Limited miles so far but leaving on a snowbird trip in January. I added a wireless monitor so I could see exactly when the Jeep’s brakes activate.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #56

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #9701
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassoneman View Post

We installed the NSA system on our Jeep-TJ last summer (used the RockHard aftermarket bumper) instead of a tow-plate. Headed out west and about 7500 miles later, have been very pleased with the system. Easy-peezy to hook up and unhook (less than 5 minutes), surge brakes work well and being mechanical it even assists in the braking on downhill grades.
Happy campers here, heading back out on the road later today for another long trip in search of warmer weather