Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2017, 05:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #7805
Tow a Honda CRV

My wife and I take possession of a 2013 Tuscany this Wednesday and will go full time in about a year. Now we have to look for a car to tow without a dolly. I've owned Hondas since 1987 and like them. The owner manual for a Honda CRV says if towed with all four down, it can damage the transmission, yet I've seen quite a few being towed.

Is there a trick or modification that's approved by Honda or does one just do it and hope for the best?

Thanks for any help on this,
Maureen & Larry

Old 06-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I believe it depends on the Year model, starting either 2016 or 2017 the CRV can no longer be flat towed. Have you considered a dolly, if yours is fwd that might be a good and less expensive option to flat towing.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #3

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I believe it depends on the Year model, starting either 2016 or 2017 the CRV can no longer be flat towed. Have you considered a dolly, if yours is fwd that might be a good and less expensive option to flat towing.
Yep. I tow a 2006 and the ONLY frustration is being careful not to go over 65.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
I have been looking at them too. I think the 2014 CRV is the last model year that can be flat towed.

John
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:18 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRanger View Post
I have been looking at them too. I think the 2014 CRV is the last model year that can be flat towed.

John
Yep, starting in 2015 the CVT transmission made them non-flat towable.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:32 PM   #6

THOR #7805
Thanks for the replies. We currently own a 2007 Accord and 2015 Odyssey, both of which will not be making the transition to full time. I'll check out used CRVs and I've been looking at used Jeep Liberty's.

Thanks again
Old 06-14-2017, 01:19 AM   #7

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
2014 crv

You are correct!

The last model year that was towable was the 2014 CRV.

I have towed mine a total of just over 5K and had no issues, and most of the time don't know its behind me. We have towed ours since we purchased it new and it has 45k miles on it currently. We had the transmission serviced at the 20k mile interval as the owners manual suggests. It will become my oldest daughters college car in 4 years.

The Blue Ox 2258 tow bar is hardly noticeable, which is why my wife insisted on getting the Blue Ox brand. We have been very happy with both the car and tow system.
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
I see newer one being towed, too, owners say no problem, but in reality, you may get away with it, but if the transmission is damaged, you are on your own, no warrantee will cover, with a manufactures statement to not flat tow. My suggestion, find another toad.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:48 PM   #9

State: South Carolina
THOR #8125
Honda CRV battery runs down when towed

We have a 2011 Honda CR-V and a 2015 Thor Class A. When we hook up the Blue Ox breaking system and tow the vehicle the car battery wears down very quickly. We followed all the directions for set up and accessory settings. If we run without using the brake system we have no problem with the car battery. Any suggestions?
Old 07-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #10

THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdeagro View Post
We have a 2011 Honda CR-V and a 2015 Thor Class A. When we hook up the Blue Ox breaking system and tow the vehicle the car battery wears down very quickly. We followed all the directions for set up and accessory settings. If we run without using the brake system we have no problem with the car battery. Any suggestions?
Yes, your wiring through the umbilical should provide a trickle charge for your toad. I towed for ten years behind my former DP, using a U.S. Gear brake setup, which runs its own vacuum pump, never had even a low battery, even after a week of towing, never disconnecting. Who ever wired it, should have known that. My current Gemini is wired the same way, though we rarely tow now.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:16 PM   #11

State: South Carolina
THOR #8125
Thanks for the quick response. If I understand you correctly the power should be coming from the electrical connector from the Rv and not from the Honda. All of the lights and turn signals work on the Honda when connected.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #12

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
We tow a 2004 CR-V that currently only has 89,000 miles. Hope it goes that far again. It is sometimes aggravating to not go over 65mph but I'm retired and not supposed to be in a hurry. Still would prefer it to be my choice to go slow. Seems there are fewer cars every couple of years that can be easily flat towed. There may be a jeep in my future when the CR-V dies.
I love the fuse switch that was installed to eliminate standing on my head to remove and insert the fuse to keep from running down the battery.
I drove the Axis down the interstate the other day as it hadn't been used in a month and it was wonderful to drive 75mph with no toad. Handled great!
Old 09-22-2017, 01:25 PM   #13

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I already own a 2012 CR-V, and I plan to set it up for towing behind my Thor Chateau. It looks like all the equipment to set it up for towing would cost around $3000. Does that sound about right? I see one recommendation here for the Blue Ox tow bar. Any other recommendations for towing equipment for the CR-V?
Old 09-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #14
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
I already own a 2012 CR-V, and I plan to set it up for towing behind my Thor Chateau. It looks like all the equipment to set it up for towing would cost around $3000. Does that sound about right? I see one recommendation here for the Blue Ox tow bar. Any other recommendations for towing equipment for the CR-V?
Cost sounds about right...

Blue Ox and Roadmaster are the two largest brands... Both are good.
I went with Roadmaster because at the time I got a deal that cost me significantly less... Check out both options for your vehicle and decide. Don't forget installation unless you are doing it yourself.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #15

THOR #5821
Have had Blue Ox base plate and tow bar for years, with zero problems.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:52 PM   #16

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Roadmaster Falcon II base and tow bar. Zero problems also. Easy to connect and disconnect. It has been in service for about 6 years, cost was about $1500 complete back then.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:02 PM   #17

THOR #5837
I got all the stuff (I hope) to set up my 2012 CR-V for towing. Total cost was around $2200, and half of that was the brake system. I haven't installed it yet, though. I'll do that when I have a free day and the weather isn't too crappy.

Blue Ox BX2258 baseplate $360
Blue Ox BX7365 Alpha Tow Bar
$543
Blue Ox BX8875 Tow Bar Cover
$37
Blue Ox VX88272 Fuse Bypass Switch
$62
Blue Ox BX88206 7 to 6 pin cable
$77
Blue Ox BRK2016 Patriot II Brake System
$1091
Blue Ox BX8869 Bulb and Sock Tail Light Kit
$53
Red Loctite $8
Trim clip tool $5
TOTAL $2236
Old 02-08-2018, 12:38 PM   #18

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
I got all the stuff (I hope) to set up my 2012 CR-V for towing. Total cost was around $2200, and half of that was the brake system. I haven't installed it yet, though. I'll do that when I have a free day and the weather isn't too crappy.

Blue Ox BX2258 baseplate $360
Blue Ox BX7365 Alpha Tow Bar
$543
Blue Ox BX8875 Tow Bar Cover
$37
Blue Ox VX88272 Fuse Bypass Switch
$62
Blue Ox BX88206 7 to 6 pin cable
$77
Blue Ox BRK2016 Patriot II Brake System
$1091
Blue Ox BX8869 Bulb and Sock Tail Light Kit
$53
Red Loctite $8
Trim clip tool $5
TOTAL $2236
I did the install over the weekend. It was more tedious that I expected. I was planning for a half-day job and it ended up taking most of the weekend. Installing the baseplate was pretty straightforward, but routing the wires for the tail lights was a pain, getting the breakaway cable for the brake system through the firewall was tough, and it was tricky to get the front fascia back in place and all the fasteners reinstalled.

Instead of the fuse bypass switch, I installed a battery charge maintainer wired into the 6-pin plug on the baseplate.