Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #1
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 31
THOR #3870
Question Towing a trailer question

Hey everyone...

I have a question that is probably a dumb one. HA!

I have a trip coming up with our Hurricane 30q and I am going to be towing a Stealth 14ft trailer. The trailer has trailer brakes and a round 7 pin connecter to hook it up. The MH has the same round connector but inside, I see no trailer brake control. Is there a reason the MH would have the round 7 connector (which is to control the electric trailer brakes, right?) but no trailer brake controller inside? Would the electric brakes even work without a trailer brake controller inside the coach?

Thanks for any help!

Marc
__________________

__________________
ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 7,933
THOR #1150
It is likely you don't have a brake controller, and it is likely you don't have the brake line wired up.
__________________

__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 31
THOR #3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
It is likely you don't have a brake controller, and it is likely you don't have the brake line wired up.
Yikes. Is it needed? The trailer is 2000lbs and I will be putting another probably 2000lbs in it. I can't imagine that I should tow it without a brake controller or am I being paranoid?
__________________
ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #4
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 31
THOR #3870
Also, here is a trailer similar to the one that I will be towing:

New Stealth Super Lite Cargo Trailer Classifieds | 2017 Stealth Super Lite Cargo Trailer for sale in East Bethel, Minnesota | MN Trailer Dealer Central Trailer Sales - TrailersUSA.com
__________________
ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
bevedfelker's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,263
THOR #2601
You are going g to have to wire in a brake controller so the electric brakes will work. The only thing Thor wires to the 7-way connector are lights, brake lights, and turn signals. And those connections need to be verified because several owners have found the lights wired incorrectly when they installed a brake controller. Good luck.
__________________
Ed & Bev Felker
Retired USAF Col and retired Nurse
Traveling with Lily & Bella ('Teddy Bear' breed)
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:28 PM   #6
Member
 
The Guidrys's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
Posts: 97
THOR #2073
Your coach should have come with a wiring harness and connector that would mate up to the wiring for a brake controller. My harness was placed inside my Thor "bag o goodies" with the coach manuals and such.

The lights will work correctly, however, the brakes on the trailer will NOT work without an appropriate controller.

The Tekonsha P3 brake controller runs about $100 and its very easy to wire, setup and use. I purchased an additional wiring harness for my truck, so I can use it with either vehicle. I like it because it is easily removed, and stored in my glove compartment.
__________________
The Guidrys
2015 Windsport 34F
2014 Honda CRV toad
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 31
THOR #3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
You are going g to have to wire in a brake controller so the electric brakes will work. The only thing Thor wires to the 7-way connector are lights, brake lights, and turn signals. And those connections need to be verified because several owners have found the lights wired incorrectly when they installed a brake controller. Good luck.
Thanks for the info!
__________________
ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #8
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 31
THOR #3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guidrys View Post
Your coach should have come with a wiring harness and connector that would mate up to the wiring for a brake controller. My harness was placed inside my Thor "bag o goodies" with the coach manuals and such.

The lights will work correctly, however, the brakes on the trailer will NOT work without an appropriate controller.

The Tekonsha P3 brake controller runs about $100 and its very easy to wire, setup and use. I purchased an additional wiring harness for my truck, so I can use it with either vehicle. I like it because it is easily removed, and stored in my glove compartment.
Thanks! I do have some kind of wiring that is just under the steering wheel and I wonder if its where the previous owner had a brake controller hooked up. I will get a picture of it and post it so you guys can tell me if that is indeed what it is.

But I will need a controller so I will look into the Tekonsha P3 brake controller that you stated. It looks like its about $118 on amazon, thats not bad at all.

Amazon.com: Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control: Automotive
__________________
ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:20 PM   #9
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 31
THOR #3870
Here is the plug/connecter that is under the steering column. The cap says " O B D " but not sure what that is. Here is a pic...could this be the plug for the brake control?

__________________
ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 7,933
THOR #1150
That is the diagnostic connector--scan tool to read engine codes, heads up display, etc. not for the brake controller. (OBD = "On Board Diagnostic")

Wow only 5 pins. Hmm GND, +12V, CAN+, CAN-, but what of the 5th pin? ISO-9141 (don't know if anyone uses that anymore)..ooh google:

Three in the middle top:
Left = Chassis (ground)
Middle = Signal Ground
Right = CAN +

Bottom two:
Left = CAN -
Right = 12V/VBat

Yeah forgot chassis vs signal ground.

CAN+/CAN- comprise the vehicle bus that the diagnostic reader talks over. Yeah I know: TMI
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:46 PM   #11
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 31
THOR #3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
That is the diagnostic connector--scan tool to read engine codes, heads up display, etc. not for the brake controller. (OBD = "On Board Diagnostic")

Wow only 5 pins. Hmm GND, +12V, CAN+, CAN-, but what of the 5th pin? ISO-9141 (don't know if anyone uses that anymore)..ooh google:

Three in the middle top:
Left = Chassis (ground)
Middle = Signal Ground
Right = CAN +

Bottom two:
Left = CAN -
Right = 12V/VBat

Yeah forgot chassis vs signal ground.

CAN+/CAN- comprise the vehicle bus that the diagnostic reader talks over. Yeah I know: TMI
That's so far over my head. Lol
__________________
ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
bevedfelker's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,263
THOR #2601
If you look under the rear of you coach there should be a harness coming out of the 7-way plug. The factory should have wired the lights so there should be wires going to pins 1, 3, 5, and 6. They might have wired the 12VDC pin 4. They also should have put a blue wire on pin 2 for the brake controller; however, (as on my 2015 Vegas) the wire probably only runs to somewhere behind the fuel tank and is capped off.

If you are going to install the brake controller, you will have to wire it to the chassis electrical system under the hood for 12 vdc power, and a ground. You'll also have to wire in an in-line fuse for the 12VDC going to the brake controller. Then you will have to wire a (blue preferably) a wire for the brake controller brake signal and run it from under the dash to the engine compartment and then back along the chassis to splice in to the blue wire that they have capped off from the 7-way connector.

Do not be surprised if you have to completely rewire the 7-way because several owners reported when they went to wire in a brake controller they found the factory wiring for the lights was completely wrong.

You can buy a trailer simulator adapter that you plug in the 7-way and it will check the light wiring, power, ground, and brake signal (once you finish wiring it in.

If this sounds like a little too much, check with your dealer to have the brake controller wired in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-way Rv plug.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	2198  
__________________
Ed & Bev Felker
Retired USAF Col and retired Nurse
Traveling with Lily & Bella ('Teddy Bear' breed)
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #13
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 1,890
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoticov View Post
That's so far over my head. Lol
Ron sez...if your coach does not have the Brake Controller...we went through the same thing 2 yrs ago. We went from a motorhome to a Toyhauler...we had to wire a Brake Controller to our Ford pickup..and it had a separate connector to the trailer brakes near the lights connector at the rear of the truck.

When done...the Brake Controller (if you must have one installed) will be located near your OBD under the steering wheel area of your dashboard...and on our truck..then, the controller plugged into the wiring system for the trailer lights, etc. (a box) under the hood.
Ron had a pro install it. Ron sez, it is not that big a deal putting it in.

We now have an Axis 24.1 and are pulling a Stealth 6x10 for the motorcycles..no brakes required...love the trailer.

Good luck !
__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
with hitch mounted motorcycle rack
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #14
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 31
THOR #3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
If you look under the rear of you coach there should be a harness coming out of the 7-way plug. The factory should have wired the lights so there should be wires going to pins 1, 3, 5, and 6. They might have wired the 12VDC pin 4. They also should have put a blue wire on pin 2 for the brake controller; however, (as on my 2015 Vegas) the wire probably only runs to somewhere behind the fuel tank and is capped off.

If you are going to install the brake controller, you will have to wire it to the chassis electrical system under the hood for 12 vdc power, and a ground. You'll also have to wire in an in-line fuse for the 12VDC going to the brake controller. Then you will have to wire a (blue preferably) a wire for the brake controller brake signal and run it from under the dash to the engine compartment and then back along the chassis to splice in to the blue wire that they have capped off from the 7-way connector.

Do not be surprised if you have to completely rewire the 7-way because several owners reported when they went to wire in a brake controller they found the factory wiring for the lights was completely wrong.

You can buy a trailer simulator adapter that you plug in the 7-way and it will check the light wiring, power, ground, and brake signal (once you finish wiring it in.

If this sounds like a little too much, check with your dealer to have the brake controller wired in.
I took your advice and sought out someone to install it. I was right by the CW where we bought the coach. They took a look, saw that it was prewired and charged me a 1/2 hour labor plus the brake control and wire harness and the total came up to just under $200. So now I at least know it was done right (yes, I trust this particular CW...they have done work for me before). If I had tried to do it on my own, trust me... I would have made things worse. HA!
__________________

__________________
ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2