Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Towing | Hitches and Toads
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Florida
THOR #4067
Tow dolly

I am considering a tow dolly for my hurricane 35c and need advice on how to hook up an electric brake controller. My other option is hydraulic brakes. HELP😀😀

Old 03-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The 3rd option is surge brakes: Don't need a controller at all for that (don't believe people when they say surge brakes aren't proportional...they are).

Usually connecting a brake controller is pretty easy: There may be a Ford plug for one already under the dash. If there is you just pick up the controller, a harness, plug it in, and mount the brake controller. Easy peasy.

(of course if you don't already have a plug then it is a bit of a pain.)

I had our dealer put in a brake controller on our Axis. Then we picked up the Acme Tow Dolly (which uses surge brakes--I leave the controller unplugged). (Yeah you can also order the Acme with electric brakes as well.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:37 PM   #3

State: Alabama
THOR #2255
My 34F came with the brake controller pig tail loose in a bag, just plugs in under that dash and attach to any brand controller. I had good luck with an electric system on my 5th wheel, zero issues, not so good luck on a boat trailer surge brake system.That approach uses a slider housing at the coupler with a small piston, simple enough in theory but due to less than stellar materials in the system I ended up with debris caught in the cylinder that left the brakes engaged, right up until the heat made the lines explode followed by a brake fluid fire.True hydraulic brakes can also be used to tie into the RV system (non air), I was not a fan of this approach, number one concern is stopping the RV so potential compromise of those brakes via leak was not desirable. Electric is easy, adjustable as you go and reliable, that’s my two cents.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #4

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
I have the Acme dolly with hydraulic brakes,, no controller needed. Easy hook up and tows really well. My 2 cents!
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:47 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Tow dolly with surge (hydraulic) brakes is the easiest way to go! Quick and simple to hook up, only connection is the trailer lights!
Old 03-22-2017, 11:11 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
My Stehl tow dolly came with electric brakes. The local trailer dealer where I bought my controller installed the controller. My rig only had the four wire flat plug so I had to get seven pin plug, wires and everything installed. The whole works came to a bit over $300.
Considering that on a couple of occasions I have gotten trapped in a filling station and had to back a few feet before swinging out, I was glad I did not have surge brakes.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 03-23-2017, 12:14 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Surge brakes do make it difficult to back up. Many of the newer models have either a mechanical pin or electric tied to reverse to prevent brakes from engaging so backing up is possible.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:35 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
We have a Master Tow with surge brakes. It has an "unlock" for the brakes so you can back it up if needed. It does require a manual process to set it, so someone has to get out, set the brakes, then guide while backing. Then you have to remember to set it back when traveling normally.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:48 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The Acme dolly also has a lockout if you really need to back up. Even with that you can't backup too far as the car and dolly will likely pivot against the RV/dolly.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote