Thor Forums

Thor Forums (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Thor RV Lifestyle (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f28/)
-   -   Firearms (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f28/firearms-10663.html)

mlhamm 01-12-2018 05:17 AM

Firearms

We'll be hitting the road full time in July/August and I'm wondering about carrying a firearm for protection. I don't hunt and don't plan to, so the gun would be just for protection. Best case scenario is I'll never have to use it, but as I learned from the Army: plan for the worst, hope for the best.

My questions are: what, if any, type of gun do you carry; why that type; and what about the various state/federal laws?

Thanks,
Larry

Locknut 01-12-2018 06:09 AM

I carry a small Smith & Wesson .40 caliber, and I keep a .357 Magnum in my motorhome. I have a Concealed Carry License from my home state, and it is valid in many other states through reciprocal agreements. I check the laws in each state I travel through to make sure I am in compliance.

mountainsam 01-12-2018 06:40 AM

I never get too far from my 9mm. Most states consider a MH as your home and don't bother you. A few states are the exception as I have been told. If you have the time I would suggest you obtain a CCW in your home state. By all means go to a CCW Reciprocity web site and check out the laws. Good luck and safe travels

mountainsam 01-12-2018 06:47 AM

Now that I see your home state is California I would think you do not have enough time to obtain a CCW before your travels. You may want to obtain a Utah Out of State permit. You can attend the class here in California. It should cover you in about 35 states and give you some very good advice.

04fxsts 01-12-2018 12:10 PM

California is not a gun friendly state so once you leave there things gun related will be better until you get to MA, NJ, NY and a few other east coast states. As said you need to look into one of the non-resident CCW's that are widely recognized. Utah is a good one as are Florida and Arizona and not that hard to get.
Each state has their own requirements for issuing a CCW either resident or non-resident and each will be recognized by different states. It depends where you plan to go or in my case where I will not go. www.handgunlaw.us is a very good place to look for information and includes links to the states so you can check their laws.
What to carry? If it is something that will stay in your RV a shotgun with an18 1/2" to 20" barrel in either 12 or 20 gage is legal everywhere I am aware of, do your own research. I am also not aware of any permits needed for having a shotgun.
Something to carry on your person, this is where you would need a CCW. A good start for carrying a handgun is an NRA Basic Pistol class, this is geared toward new shooters and the instructor should furnish all ammunition and the firearms for the class. I shoot and carry both revolvers and semi-autos and compete with mostly a revolver. A revolver is pretty foolproof, load, pull trigger and it will go "BANG." A semi-auto can be less reliable and there is more of a learning curve with them. Nothing wrong with them but you need to spend more time getting familiar with how they work and what to do when they don't. Glock makes nice semi-autos in that they are normally very reliable out of the box as are Rugers. I personally would shoot at least a couple hundred rounds through any semi-auto including the self defence ammo you plan to carry. One more thing is not to get a handgun that is too small. Yes they are easily carried but are harder to shoot accurately and are more prone to malfunctions especially the calibers smaller than 9mm. Jim.

Bob Denman 01-12-2018 01:09 PM

You'd best take some time to research the individual States' firearm laws.
Your best bet for the defense of your rig, is a 20 gauge shotgun, with an 18" barrel.
Load it up with #9 shot, and I pity anyone who comes through your door unannounced.
(The shotgun will probably cause fewer legal problems, than a handgun.)

cpmath 01-12-2018 02:17 PM

Although all of the above advice is good may I add that if you are afraid to be unarmed or to travel it may be best for you to stay home. As retired LEO I find it insane for people to carry because they have a fear of someone else while in a MH or camper. Just my opinion.

Oneilkeys 01-12-2018 02:27 PM

I agree cpmath - although I realize that many do not. I carried/had immediate access to a weapon for 25 years in the military and I do not have one in my motorhome. One other consideration, if you plan to travel to Canada you cannot take your hand gun and to take a rifle or shotgun is very difficult. That includes traveling thru Canada to Alaska. If you get caught, there are serious fines.

Bob Denman 01-12-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpmath (Post 104166)
Although all of the above advice is good may I add that if you are afraid to be unarmed or to travel it may be best for you to stay home. As retired LEO I find it insane for people to carry because they have a fear of someone else while in a MH or camper. Just my opinion.

As a trained Instructor: I'll agree that not everybody has the emotional and mental capability to deal with firearms ownership.
But it's not insane to want to be able to protect yourself and your family: no matter how remote the chance of that need arising may be.

jpmihalk 01-12-2018 03:41 PM

All good points.

I have a stainless .45 1911 and a VA CCP. With that said, it is always unloaded and the ammo locked away so it is of no use for immediate self-defense. I would rather use another readily available and legal object to deal with an intruder than to have to go through the legal process of using a firearm and its aftermath.

I also have 3 medium sized dogs in the motorhome which would tend to make any intruder second guess themselves.

Gary A 01-12-2018 03:50 PM

There is a CCW app you can get that helps answer questions regarding reciprocity between states. We did a 15 state trip and only 1 state did not reciprocate with ours. Good app to have

Bob Denman 01-12-2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary A (Post 104185)
There is a CCW app you can get that helps answer questions regarding reciprocity between states. We did a 15 state trip and only 1 state did not reciprocate with ours. Good app to have

Can you post a link to this app?
(Or at least a website for more information?)

halfprice 01-12-2018 05:16 PM

S&W Shield 9mm. Its my daily carry. Never leave home without it.

Jerry

Bob Denman 01-12-2018 05:41 PM

I carry either a Seecamp LWS .32 in a pocket holster, or "Old Slabsides" (Colt 1911A1) in a Galco S.O.B. rig. :thumb:
But I don't carry out of State... New York State doesn't offer reciprocity with any other State, so we're sort of hung out to dry... :o

Kev 01-12-2018 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfprice (Post 104201)
S&W Shield 9mm. Its my daily carry. Never leave home without it.

Jerry

That's what I carry and qualify with every year. Its a great carry firearm.

Locknut 01-12-2018 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Denman (Post 104188)
Can you post a link to this app?
(Or at least a website for more information?)

If you are on an Android cell phone the Apps are "CCW" and "Concealed Carry Laws." There may be others, but I check both of those when I travel to make sure I have the correct information. I know it is redundant to use both, but I do not want to receive incorrect information from a bad app.

Bob Denman 01-12-2018 07:04 PM

I actually did finally get a smart phone... and it sure is a whole lot smarter than me! :o
I think that it's an Android: some kind of little robot shows up on the screen, when it's booting up...
I'll see if I can find that app: Thanks! :thumb:

mountainsam 01-12-2018 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Denman (Post 104204)
I carry either a Seecamp LWS .32 in a pocket holster, or "Old Slabsides" (Colt 1911A1) in a Galco S.O.B. rig. :thumb:
But I don't carry out of State... New York State doesn't offer reciprocity with any other State, so we're sort of hung out to dry... :o

New York is much like California in that reqard. Get an Out of State permit from any one of several states.

Bob Denman 01-12-2018 08:25 PM

We're waiting to see where retirement lands us, and then we'll start that process...
Only five more years... :o

16ACE27 01-12-2018 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locknut (Post 104208)
If you are on an Android cell phone the Apps are "CCW" and "Concealed Carry Laws." There may be others, but I check both of those when I travel to make sure I have the correct information. I know it is redundant to use both, but I do not want to receive incorrect information from a bad app.

How do you know which one is right and which one is bad?

ewacowboy 01-12-2018 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfryman (Post 104216)

This is the one I have on the phone and it is excellent:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...egalheat&hl=en

If you just want to look on your computer this is a pretty good source:

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html

Locknut 01-12-2018 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfryman (Post 104216)

Only once has there been a conflict between the two apps, and I then went directly to the state's information on their concealed carry licensing website to verify. The rules had changed and one of the apps had not updated their information. Better safe than sorry.

MichFigs 01-12-2018 10:43 PM

I grew up with the scouts and still believes in being prepared. We also can hope that our elected senators in DC will do the right thing soon. The house passed this in mid-December:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...e-bill/38/text

:thumb:

Bob Denman 01-12-2018 11:13 PM

I agree... :thumb:
If yo spot conflicting information; it's in your best interest to go straight to the source...
They always say that "It's better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6."

The folks who say that; have often never been in Court... :nonono:

99dart 01-13-2018 12:44 AM

For the States your CCW isn't good you can lock the handgun in something like this. I bought this unit to take my compact Ruger LC9s with us to S.C. when we flew out to buy our new to us 2016 WS31. Meets TSA airline firearm guidelines & approved as a firearms safety device by the California Department of Justice. I always had the gun bedside at night as we worked our way back across the U.S.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015RNJE8I...515803606&sr=1

Travelin' Texans 01-13-2018 02:38 AM

We've been fulltime for 10 years, do not carry any weapon & have been coast to coast border to border into Canada & have never once wished we had a weapon.
We have family members & friends that are licensed to carry & to be honest it scares the hell out of me knowing they are packing, a couple of them are just macho enough to think they need to save the world, the others are just timid enough that all they are going to do is furnish the bad guy a gun if he didn't bring his own.

axis earl 01-13-2018 07:42 AM

RVs & Guns

I've read all of these posts regarding firearms being carried in the RVs and there have been good points made. I just hate to see the conversation get into the realm of watching mainstream media and the gun control debate. The question initially was how to legally carry a firearm in the RV when crossing the country. One of the reasons I follow this forum is because people seem to be able to talk about a subject, i.e., RVing and leave the heated debates out completely. Just like talking about suspension modifications, etc., what works for one may not work for others. It is the same thing with firearms. If you don't carry and don't have the interest or experience at this point in your life, you should probably skip it when it comes to firearms in the RV. :coolsmiley:

saddlesore 01-13-2018 07:57 AM

For me.. there are just too many conflicting laws state to state concerning "firearms".
That said..Olin makes a rather nifty marine 12ga flare device for summoning help... even works after dark...

Oneilkeys 01-13-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis earl (Post 104262)
I've read all of these posts regarding firearms being carried in the RVs and there have been good points made. I just hate to see the conversation get into the realm of watching mainstream media and the gun control debate. The question initially was how to legally carry a firearm in the RV when crossing the country. One of the reasons I follow this forum is because people seem to be able to talk about a subject, i.e., RVing and leave the heated debates out completely. Just like talking about suspension modifications, etc., what works for one may not work for others. It is the same thing with firearms. If you don't carry and don't have the interest or experience at this point in your life, you should probably skip it when it comes to firearms in the RV. :coolsmiley:

I don’t think anyone has been disrespectful or “holy than thou”. I actually thought it was kind of nice that we could all have a courteous discussion on this contentious issue and all respect other’s views. The people on this forum from all over the US are pretty generally nice, respectful people. That’s one reason I like it so much.

axis earl 01-13-2018 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oneilkeys (Post 104271)
I don’t think anyone has been disrespectful or “holy than thou”. I actually thought it was kind of nice that we could all have a courteous discussion on this contentious issue and all respect other’s views. The people on this forum from all over the US are pretty generally nice, respectful people. That’s one reason I like it so much.

Oneil,
I agree with what you said. Trust me, as they say, such discussions go downhill quickly once someone strongly hints that carrying of weapons is not necessary. I would say that if someone doesn't want to carry, then don't. As I said, the discusssion on the legality and mechanics of carrying a firearm in your RV is worthwhile, discussing the need to do so usually isn't in my experience.

Jusjay 01-13-2018 04:25 PM

1911 45cal. when you use truck stops and hwy rest stops a lot you never know

mcr1010 01-13-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jusjay (Post 104288)
1911 45cal. when you use truck stops and hwy rest stops a lot you never know

The right tool for the job at hand.:thumb:

Oneilkeys 01-13-2018 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis earl (Post 104282)
Oneil,
I agree with what you said. Trust me, as they say, such discussions go downhill quickly once someone strongly hints that carrying of weapons is not necessary. I would say that if someone doesn't want to carry, then don't. As I said, the discusssion on the legality and mechanics of carrying a firearm in your RV is worthwhile, discussing the need to do so usually isn't in my experience.

You’re right. Just because I don’t think that something is necessary to carry in my RV does not mean that it is not necessary for you. Especially in an RV, however, I think more is not necessarily better than less. So any discussion can have a I don’t think it is worthwhile to carry “this”. In the case of a weapon, discussing whether it is “good or bad” serves little purpose and can “go down hill quickly”. However, being aware of some of the legal issues - such as Canada - are important considerations. I have met several RVers who snuck weapons thru Canada and got away with it. I know others who have been caught, fined and cannot travel through Canada.

Thehobe1 01-13-2018 06:48 PM

My young family and I traveled across the US, from California to NY, staying mostly in 5 star RV parks in the year 2000 and never encountered even the slightest of security issues. I think carrying a gun actually raises the risk to you and to others. Unless you are going to unpopulated areas, where you would be the only RV in sight and in questionable locations, I think you are not in need of deadly force. Bring some mace and maybe a stun zapper (available for $15-$30), for protection. Invasion attempts are 1 in 1,000,000 so the odds don't suggest the need to carry. As one responder said, if you are that concerned, maybe you should not travel. Even in California where you live, have you ever needed a gun for your protection? If you do not have one yet, you probably do not need one.

halfprice 01-13-2018 06:56 PM

As i mentioned earlier i carry a S&W shield 9mm. Its small, easily concealed, and will do what i want it to do. Ive carried a gun for the past 27 years and feel undressed when not.

Everyone has their right to use, carry if they want, and go through the proper training. Its an individual choice and i choose to carry.

Being a cop for 26 years i have seen some scary crazy things.

Jerry

Thehobe1 01-13-2018 07:19 PM

The fact that you came from a "cop" background definitely gives you more history of bad situations and a much higher fear profile. You also have been properly trained and have experience with those situations. Individuals with no training and no experience with difficult situations are much more likely to make a deadly mistake.
I do not run into a lot of police officers suggesting that the public start carrying guns! You are probably the first one in my experience.
Actually, I have had a number of experiences when police officers have knocked on my door, car door etc to investigate my well being or local criminal activity, more often than strangers knocking at my door. Situation like this could turn deadly with both parties carrying guns! Are you sure you want to recommend RVers carryoing guns?

Kev 01-13-2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thehobe1 (Post 104305)
My young family and I traveled across the US, from California to NY, staying mostly in 5 star RV parks in the year 2000 and never encountered even the slightest of security issues. I think carrying a gun actually raises the risk to you and to others. Unless you are going to unpopulated areas, where you would be the only RV in sight and in questionable locations, I think you are not in need of deadly force. Bring some mace and maybe a stun zapper (available for $15-$30), for protection. Invasion attempts are 1 in 1,000,000 so the odds don't suggest the need to carry. As one responder said, if you are that concerned, maybe you should not travel. Even in California where you live, have you ever needed a gun for your protection? If you do not have one yet, you probably do not need one.

Obviously you have been drinking too much cool aide. Let’s just hold hands and kumbya and everything will be all right. In the real world crime happens and if you have not been touched by crime that’s.great. Most people who legally carry weapons hope they never have to use it. In Florida when they passed the stand your ground law people like you predicted unprecedented shootings and it would be the “Wild West” when in fact crime went down. As this responder says if you are concerned about people carrying guns in RV parks maybe you should stay home. And for your information cities with the highest crime rates, ie NYC and Washington DC have the strictest gun laws. And after 32 yrs, of law enforcement experience officers I have come in contact with support citizens right to legally carry weapons.

JamieGeek 01-13-2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thehobe1 (Post 104315)
The fact that you came from a "cop" background definitely gives you more history of bad situations and a much higher fear profile. You also have been properly trained and have experience with those situations. Individuals with no training and no experience with difficult situations are much more likely to make a deadly mistake.
I do not run into a lot of police officers suggesting that the public start carrying guns! You are probably the first one in my experience.
Actually, I have had a number of experiences when police officers have knocked on my door, car door etc to investigate my well being or local criminal activity, more often than strangers knocking at my door. Situation like this could turn deadly with both parties carrying guns! Are you sure you want to recommend RVers carryoing guns?

As far as I can tell this thread was started to discuss the legalities of carrying in different states. I haven't seen anything in this thread that advocated for or against bringing a gun along (other than a few anecdotes and people mentioning what they do).

That is the problem I've seen on many forums: someone starts a thread to discuss the technicalities of owning a firearm (not necessarily advocating it, just want to know things like what others do, what are the laws in other states, etc.) and the thread devolves to "you should" "no you shouldn't".

So far this thread hasn't gone that far...

Bob Denman 01-13-2018 07:54 PM

We've hit the legal high-points, and seen some good advice about methods of carry and/or storage.

To explain how forums work, you need to think what would happen, if someone asks,
"how many forum members does it take to change a light bulb"...

there will be a discussion about wattage, LED versus fluorescent versus incandescent bulbs, the term "light" versus "lamp", the best sources to buy such things, various methods of how to actually change one, several Youtube videos, and someone will want to talk about flashlights!

They are organic conversations that can end up anywhere: the sky is the limit! :coolsmiley:

halfprice 01-13-2018 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thehobe1 (Post 104315)

I never said I advocate or want people to carry. I said its everyones right to carry if they want. Obviously I would prefer they practice and have proper training.

And just to be clear I am not gun nut fanatic. I only own 4 handguns. One belonged to my late uncle, two duty handguns, and the shield I carry now. And a couple of shotguns that I used for bird hunting. No Ar15s or anything like that. But I am an NRA member and believe if its legal buy and own what ever you like.

Jerry

jpmihalk 01-13-2018 08:56 PM

Back to the OP's questions... He asked what we own and how do we keep track of the laws state to state. I don't think any opinions were asked except why you have the firearm you have. Pretty simple really.

halfprice 01-13-2018 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlhamm (Post 104133)
My questions are: what, if any, type of gun do you carry; why that type; and what about the various state/federal laws?

Thanks,
Larry

To answer the op's original question.
What: Semi Auto S&W Shield 9mm
Why: Small, compact, easy to conceal, and will do what I want it to do.

If you don't like cleaning and maintaining the gun then get a revolver. They always fire.

Shotguns are also nice to have but I wouldn't want to leave a gun in the motorhome so I don't bring one. I will for Alaska because thats about the only firearm Canada will allow into their country if you get the proper paperwork completed prior to entry.

State laws I can't help you with. Being a retired police officer I am allowed to carry concealed in all 50 states. With that said I may not in New York because they are nuts there and have arrested cops in the past for carrying. Don't know if I'll be taking or driving through NY always.

Hope this helps you and hopefully this thread doesn't get any more political or heated.

Jerry

Bob Denman 01-13-2018 11:26 PM

You're right: it's much better that you don't bring one here... :nonono:
New York State doesn't recognize any out-of-State permits, so you'd be at the mercy of the LEO who bumps into you... :o

halfprice 01-13-2018 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Denman (Post 104352)
You're right: it's much better that you don't bring one here... :nonono:
New York State doesn't recognize any out-of-State permits, so you'd be at the mercy of the LEO who bumps into you... :o

Ive heard of several cops being arrest for carrying but the cases have all been thrown out of court. Fed laws trumps state laws. I have lots of family in New York and New Jersey. I will visit but most likely fly so no gun anyways.

Jerry

mlhamm 01-13-2018 11:35 PM

Thanks for the info. A couple of things:

I'll be retiring in July, then we become full time RVers. Our plan is to use the Good Sam mail service which will give us residence address in Florida. So, I'll probably be subject to their gun laws, mostly.

As for the comment about maybe not leaving home; it's not that I see the boogey man behind every tree. I'll use 911 but there aren't a whole lot of places to hide in a motorhome while you're waiting for the police. I'd like to be able to say years from now that the only time I took my gun out was to shoot at the range and to clean it. As I said in my original post, "Plan for the worst, hope for the best."

mountainsam 01-14-2018 02:13 AM

Actually you will always be 100 percent subject to the laws of the state you are in and like most things “Ignorance of the law is no defense “. Do your homework if you carry.

tigwelder 01-14-2018 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpmath (Post 104166)

well i carry because i can. MH, store, car does not matter. there has been a gun in my pocket for 50 years.:thumb:

SuperD 01-14-2018 10:44 AM

My two cents. I’ve kept a handgun in my motorhomes and travel trailers for over 40 years without incident. I do not carry on my person, do not advertise the fact I have one, I keep it in a concealed location, and have thankfully never had to pull it out. I am a Marine veteran and worked as a police officer for almost six years while attending college so I do have experience with firearms.

I believe that using common sense and not advertising you have a gun in the first place will get most people thru most situations.

SuperD 01-14-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saddlesore (Post 104263)
For me.. there are just too many conflicting laws state to state concerning "firearms".
That said..Olin makes a rather nifty marine 12ga flare device for summoning help... even works after dark...

Makes a hell of a good self defense weapon too! I carry the 25mm flare gun in my boat, if you look at the business end of that it’s pretty scary!!!

Joe-FL 01-14-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlhamm (Post 104358)
Thanks for the info. A couple of things:

I'll be retiring in July, then we become full time RVers. Our plan is to use the Good Sam mail service which will give us residence address in Florida. So, I'll probably be subject to their gun laws, mostly.

As for the comment about maybe not leaving home; it's not that I see the boogey man behind every tree. I'll use 911 but there aren't a whole lot of places to hide in a motorhome while you're waiting for the police. I'd like to be able to say years from now that the only time I took my gun out was to shoot at the range and to clean it. As I said in my original post, "Plan for the worst, hope for the best."

I would agree with your planning 100%! Like Jerry and Kev, I am a retired LEO. Including my time in the military I have pretty much carried a firearm as part of my public service jobs from my 18th birthday.

A year from now if you were camped in some remote area of New Mexico and a crack head decided he wanted your RV at 3am you would be glad you packed a firearm. You could wait 40 minutes for a deputy or trooper to get there and just hope for the best, but I prefer not to put myself or my DW in that kind of critical situation.

I don't plan on having a flat tire on my toad but I still carry a jack, spare, and lug wrench. So, just like your said "plan for the worse, hope for the best".

Joe-FL 01-14-2018 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlhamm (Post 104133)
We'll be hitting the road full time in July/August and I'm wondering.....cut......

Thanks,
Larry

Larry, I know you have gotten a lot of ideas on what type of firearms to carry. Let me throw out my ideas. I only own 3. I have a S&W Shield 9mm, a Taurus 5-shot 2" revolver (polymer), and a single shot 12 gauge sawed off shotgun.

The polymer Taurus revolver is my everyday carry and I use a Sticky holster (inside the pants style). It is light weight, sweat/rain can't hurt it, and very concealable. The other two are more for "home defense" even though I do carry the S&W Shield in another Sticky holster once and awhile.

It isn't rocket science when wanting to stay legal. If you want to conceal carry then get a permit and find out where that permit will allow you to carry. As far as having the firearms in your RV, that is a two part issue decided more by constitutional law rather than local laws. If you are stopped and using your RV as a residence (camped), then that loaded firearm can be sitting on your driver's seat, kitchen counter, or any place else inside your "home". If you are traveling down the highway then without a legal CC permit you would be safe by having it unloaded and out of your reach while driving (generally speaking).

Bob Denman 01-14-2018 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfprice (Post 104357)
Ive heard of several cops being arrest for carrying but the cases have all been thrown out of court. Fed laws trumps state laws. I have lots of family in New York and New Jersey. I will visit but most likely fly so no gun anyways.

Jerry

Even if the charges eventually get dropped: do you want to go through all the fun of an arrest, the ride in the back seat of a Squad Car, the primping and preening for that custom portrait?
Never mind the custom finger painting that they're gonna do with you! :eek:

The best way to win a fight, is to not be there when it happens.
Don't put yourself in the postion for the battle, and your life will be much less stressful.

petew 01-14-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfprice (Post 104349)
To answer the op's original question.
What: Semi Auto S&W Shield 9mm
Why: Small, compact, easy to conceal, and will do what I want it to do.

If you don't like cleaning and maintaining the gun then get a revolver. They always fire.

Shotguns are also nice to have but I wouldn't want to leave a gun in the motorhome so I don't bring one. I will for Alaska because thats about the only firearm Canada will allow into their country if you get the proper paperwork completed prior to entry.

State laws I can't help you with. Being a retired police officer I am allowed to carry concealed in all 50 states. With that said I may not in New York because they are nuts there and have arrested cops in the past for carrying. Don't know if I'll be taking or driving through NY always.

Hope this helps you and hopefully this thread doesn't get any more political or heated.

Jerry

Jerry,

HR218 will cover you in NYC , the only place that you need to be aware of is NJ.
They have a law that prohibits hollow point ammo for anyone except their own LEO's and they will arrest if you have them , one count per round.
When we travel back to the northeast I carry a legal defense round .
I do my HR-218 training with a group of retired NYPD guys that live in my area and have asked the NYC question to them and the HR-218 instructor and there is no problem.

Pete

halfprice 01-14-2018 04:53 PM

Im not worried about ny or nj. Ive just read some articles in my monthly porac magazine of rare situations that have happenned there.

SuperD 01-14-2018 05:35 PM

Old cliche, “I’d rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6”. I’ll worry about any possible consequences later, AFTER I know my wife is safe!!!

'52 F-3 01-14-2018 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Denman (Post 104152)
You'd best take some time to research the individual States' firearm laws.
Your best bet for the defense of your rig, is a 20 gauge shotgun, with an 18" barrel.
Load it up with #9 shot, and I pity anyone who comes through your door unannounced.
(The shotgun will probably cause fewer legal problems, than a handgun.)

That's my 1st choice also.... Mossberg 590A1

Bob Denman 01-14-2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperD (Post 104434)
Old cliche, “I’d rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6”. I’ll worry about any possible consequences later, AFTER I know my wife is safe!!!

I'd just as soon use a "Legal in all 50" shotgun, than an unlicensed sidearm.
You can purchase a hinge-action double-barreled version for almost next to nothing...

And two shots in the narrow confines of ANY RV will be more than sufficient. :thumb:
Use #9 shot loads to limit penetration. and reduce the chance of hurting anyone that just happens to be parked nearby.

saddlesore 01-15-2018 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Denman (Post 104440)
I'd just as soon use a "Legal in all 50" shotgun, than an unlicensed sidearm.
You can purchase a hinge-action double-barreled version for almost next to nothing...

And two shots in the narrow confines of ANY RV will be more than sufficient. :thumb:
Use #9 shot loads to limit penetration. and reduce the chance of hurting anyone that just happens to be parked nearby.

Rock Salt "lightly soaked" in DMSO solution.

tigwelder 01-15-2018 04:09 AM

my cc choice for last few years is a 4th gen glock 26 compact pistol.

Bob Denman 01-15-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saddlesore (Post 104503)
Rock Salt "lightly soaked" in DMSO solution.

I've never loaded rock-salt: why do you add the DMSO?
That DOES sound like an even better way to limit penetration! :thumb:

Even if you're in a 45' rig: this is still nothing more than "Close-quarters" self defense. You DON"T need a lot gun, because the miscreants will not want a lot of problems. They get a whiff of the fact that you're ready to end them: they'll be long gone! :thumb: