Thor Forums

Thor Forums (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   Garman RV660LMT question (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f5/garman-rv660lmt-question-10731.html)

Budman 01-20-2018 03:23 PM

Garman RV660LMT question
 
I am considering purchasing the 660 for multiple vehicles, i.e. RV, pickup, car etc.

I see in some of the google reviews that vehicle profiles seem maybe only to fit MH, bumper pull trailers, or 5th-wheels. Or I have misunderstood!!!

Can you have a vehicle profile for a plain old car/truck? Don't want to drive 50 miles around a low bridge area when I am using GPS in a car/pickup. Thx, Dennis.

Miramar Owner 01-20-2018 04:47 PM

I know the RV770LMT will allow you to put in any restrictions based on your RV or no restrictions for each category. I prefer the 770 because it is voice activated. You can speak to it even while you are traveling...as example to find the next rest area or fuel stop.

Budman 01-20-2018 04:52 PM

I thought the voice is an option on both 660 and 770?

I assume if nothing else I just put a teardrop size limits as a TT. Thx, Dennis.

ewacowboy 01-20-2018 04:52 PM

We have the 760 and when it boots up it allows you to select one of the custom vehicles you have saved in memory. We have installed both the RV with tow vehicle and truck only into memory.

Mr Sunshine 01-21-2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewacowboy (Post 105070)
We have the 760 and when it boots up it allows you to select one of the custom vehicles you have saved in memory. We have installed both the RV with tow vehicle and truck only into memory.


I have the 660, and it has the same customization feature. Not voice activated, though. Ours has a bean bag mount, which works in all our vehicles, powered thru the 12 volt receptacle AKA cigarette lighter.

If I was buying today, I'd pay a little more and get the latest version.

Budman 01-21-2018 07:31 PM

I wonder if there are multiple or updated 660?

This is the specs and details and it says “voice activated navigation”. I’m confused now. Thx dennis.

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-RV-660LMT-GPS-for-RVs-P4463.aspx

airforceret 01-21-2018 09:45 PM

My 770 lets me choose between RV mode and regular vehicle mode.

Mr Sunshine 01-23-2018 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budman (Post 105185)
I wonder if there are multiple or updated 660?
This is the specs and details and it says “voice activated navigation”. I’m confused now. Thx dennis.
https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-R...RVs-P4463.aspx


I have had mine for about 3 years. It is possible that my 660 has this feature, and I just can't find it in the menu. If mine did, with all the engine noise in our coach, I wonder how well voice commands would work.

sage 01-23-2018 11:50 AM

You can't always trust what you find on the 'Net
 
Above the cab there is sleeping space for a child or adult at the drop-down overhead bunk. Along the curbside you will find a 68" jack-knife sofa with two seat belts. Across the room there is a slide out 68" Dream Dinette with cup holders, seatbelts, a 40" LED TV, a two burner range, and an overhead microwave. Along the interior wall you will find a sink, a flip-up counter top, and an overhead cabinet. To the left of the door you will find a broom closet, refrigerator, and a closet for your hang up clothes.

The above is from a description by General RV of the new Vegas 27.7 model. But everyone should know by now that the 2018 line has the microwave under the stovetop, where a traditional gas oven used to be found.

My point being that just because a retailer's description says the 660 features voice activation doesn't mean it's really there. Here's the link to Garmin's webpage.. I can't find anything that mentions voice.

Budman 01-23-2018 02:56 PM

I guess either way it's too late as I pulled the trigger on a 660. I still don't believe there is enough upside in the 770 for the extra bucks. Been using a Garmin Nuvi for 7 years but it never caused an issue except outdated maps so I decided time for something else.
If I don't like it I'll sent it back!!!
Since I don't completely understand what the voice activation should do anyway yet (or the value added), but on page 10 and 11 of the official Garmin owners manual it discusses use of voice commands and starting a route with voice so I guess I'll figure it out. Maybe still confused but we'll see.
Thanks for the info and suggestions, Dennis.

Miramar Owner 01-23-2018 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budman (Post 105458)
I guess either way it's too late as I pulled the trigger on a 660. I still don't believe there is enough upside in the 770 for the extra bucks. Been using a Garmin Nuvi for 7 years but it never caused an issue except outdated maps so I decided time for something else.
If I don't like it I'll sent it back!!!
Since I don't completely understand what the voice activation should do anyway yet (or the value added), but on page 10 and 11 of the official Garmin owners manual it discusses use of voice commands and starting a route with voice so I guess I'll figure it out. Maybe still confused but we'll see.
Thanks for the info and suggestions, Dennis.

I think if you thoroughly read the instructions you'll find a statement something like "if equipped". I don't think they do a completely different manual for each model.

My biggest complaint with any GPS is how much easier it is to use Google Maps on my phone because I can just speak it. I couldn't wait until a real dedicated RV GPS came out with this ability. It has taken some time to get use to the commands but I would NEVER go back to a non-voice command GPS.

I have had several Garmins for my car through the years but basically quit using them when Google Maps came into existence because of the voice command feature. I also had a Rand McNally RVND 7735 but could never get the screen bright enough and it kept loosing the satellites. That last time that happened I was traveling through Kansas City on unfamiliar Interstates...that was when I bought the new Garmin.

I love it!

Budman 01-23-2018 06:13 PM

Thx and I guess I can't answer if for multiple models or not. I went to Garmin's site, support, model, and then manuals. Here's what I got and the manual I was referring to.
I guess as I said, if things aren't as be advertised I can always send back. Thx, Dennis.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/RV_660_OM_EN.pdf

sage 01-23-2018 09:14 PM

I have a Garmin Drive Smart 60 which has voice command support. Most of the time it works very well but there are times when either my accent or the place name I'm trying to get result in problems. But mostly I'm pretty happy with it.

I considered buying the 660, but most of my driving is in a car, where the RV features don't matter that much. I've been using GPS devices of one sort or another since I got my first 32 foot Class A in 2005 and I've only once run into a situation where I had trouble because of the GPS.

There's one town in Massachusetts (Westboro) that has a bridge on their main road that is only 11 foot clearance. At least once a year some trucker tries to take it down because his GPS said to keep on that route and he wasn't paying attention to the abundant street signs telling him it's a low clearance.

The point being you always need to be watching where you are driving and what's going on around you. You are the intelligent one, not the GPS - at least not yet.

mountainsam 01-23-2018 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budman (Post 105494)
Thx and I guess I can't answer if for multiple models or not. I went to Garmin's site, support, model, and then manuals. Here's what I got and the manual I was referring to.
I guess as I said, if things aren't as be advertised I can always send back. Thx, Dennis.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/RV_660_OM_EN.pdf

The manual states on page 10 that Voice Activation is not available on all models.

Mr Sunshine 01-24-2018 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sage (Post 105514)
...The point being you always need to be watching where you are driving and what's going on around you. You are the intelligent one, not the GPS - at least not yet.


Google maps on my smart phone tried to take me down a road with a 10'3" railroad underpass. My Vegas is 11'3". There was a sign, but it was after the turn and wasn't visible until I almost made the turn. Had I not caught it, I would have had to take the car off to turn everything around.

I once dragged my 5th wheel up a road that said "No Trucks" for a good reason. Found out you could overheat a Ram diesel! Garmin wouldn't have let me go up that one, either.

Garmin and I don't always agree on the routing. Still, it does keep me out of awkward situations. If we are in a time rush, I'll check the route with the Waze ap, to check for traffic issues.

Budman 01-24-2018 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainsam (Post 105519)
The manual states on page 10 that Voice Activation is not available on all models.

That's fine, as I've said multiple times, if I don't like it I will send it back!!!! But, It may very well have it also!!!!

And I think I have said I really don't care a whole lot if it doesn't have voice activation. Since the beginning of the thread, original post, I was asking does it handle car and RV or just the RV options. Since then I stated I need updated maps. Other than that, I think it will fit my needs.

Thanks Sage, as that's the kind of thing I have seen also. It amazes me how many bridges are hit and marked, even on interstates and not only on back roads.

I enjoy back roads now that I am retired and I usually depend on a US highway and that hasn't failed me yet, with or w/o a GPS. Thx, Dennis.

Budman 01-25-2018 05:59 PM

Received mine yesterday it has car and RV settings. Very simple as it starts up, and pick icon of what ur driving. Even an old man can do it!!!

Also has voice activated navigation but may wait a while before I try that. This is everything I needed. Thx for the help, Dennis.

PS. When I registered it on line it also immediately checked and updated to the latest greatest software and maps.

Locknut 01-25-2018 06:41 PM

I'm in the market for a new GPS, so I went to the Garmin website and compared the actual specs between the 770 and the 660 models.

The primary difference seems to be the size of the screen and the quality of the image. On the 660, the size is 6.6" wide by 3.7" high, compared to the 770 screen size of 6.8" wide by 3.9" high. While these differences don't seem like much, it extends the diagonal measurement from 6.1" to 6.95" and screen size from 24.42 sq inches to 26.52 sq inches, about 8.6% bigger.

Also, the screen resolution improves from 800 x 480 pixels to 1024 x 600 pixels, a noticeable improvement in viewing.

As far as the software, the units are very similar, as the website does state that both have voice activated navigation. Some 660 owners have stated they do not have voice controls, so it appears later 660 models have been upgraded.

The biggest operational difference I can determine is that the 770 has added integration to the travel service "Tripadvisor" so that it provides information on hotels, restaurants and other points of interest on screen while traveling.

Comparing prices on Amazon, the RV770-LMTS is available for $399.99, while the RV660-LMT is available for half that amount at $199.98, both with Prime shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-RV-770...s=rv+770+lmt-s

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-RV-660...s=rv+770+lmt-s

While these old eyes would welcome a bigger, better screen...it is hard to justify paying twice the price. Your opinion?

Budman 01-25-2018 07:10 PM

As u can see I chose not to pay the extra. And I must say that's a very good price on the 660. I did not see that price when I ordered from some where else. Paid a little more but too late to worry about.
As far as screen size I was use to a Nuvi so this screen looks giant compared to it. I think I can position this just fine and see it well. Either on the left of dash near window or in center of dash.
Even though I have a built in GPS with radio it is very hard to see and out of the way so u take eyes off road for a second or 2. Don't like that at all and another reason I wanted a true movable and RV GPS. But radio GPS does come across radio loud and clear (barely hearing as too many years coal mining) so I'll run both GPSs. Many of those in KY!!! Thx Dennis.

PS. Locknut, where are in in dear old KY? My wife and I where raised in Middlesboro on TN/VA border. Still bleed blue!!!

Locknut 01-25-2018 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budman (Post 105711)
As u can see I chose not to pay the extra. And I must say that's a very good price on the 660. I did not see that price when I ordered from some where else. Paid a little more but too late to worry about.
As far as screen size I was use to a Nuvi so this screen looks giant compared to it. I think I can position this just fine and see it well. Either on the left of dash near window or in center of dash.
Even though I have a built in GPS with radio it is very hard to see and out of the way so u take eyes off road for a second or 2. Don't like that at all and another reason I wanted a true movable and RV GPS. But radio GPS does come across radio loud and clear (barely hearing as too many years coal mining) so I'll run both GPSs. Many of those in KY!!! Thx Dennis.

PS. Locknut, where are in in dear old KY? My wife and I where raised in Middlesboro on TN/VA border. Still bleed blue!!!

I have in-dash GPS in my GMC Acadia and my wife has it in her Cadillac, but we never use either...I prefer my Garmin Nuvi that I update before every trip. I'll probably upgrade though as this Nuvi is several years old, and even though it has free map updates, it lacks many of the newer bells and whistles.

I've lived in Hazard for nearly all my life...not too far from Middlesboro.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2