Thor Forums

Thor Forums (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Thor Owners Community Discussions (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/)
-   -   GPS System for Motor Coach (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/gps-system-motor-coach-11064.html)

heavyiron 02-19-2018 04:38 PM

GPS System for Motor Coach
 
Hi,

I just purchased a 2018 Thor ACE 29.3 for the wife and me. It didn't come with a GPS system and I want to add one because we will need it to find our way.

Does anyone have a make and model recommendation for a GPS?

Any recommendation and information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

gmc 02-19-2018 04:57 PM

The 'search' feature here is your friend...
MANY posts on GPS recommendations - from phone apps to dedicated RV units.
One such thread just in the last 2 months is here:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f5/...gps-10452.html

Bob Denman 02-19-2018 05:17 PM

Garmin and Magellan both make some really nice units. :thumb:
It's your money: it's your call... :coolsmiley:

VJRocky 02-20-2018 12:03 AM

I have a Garmin RV770 which works well. You can input your RV measurements and it will route you around low clearances. My model, while pricey, comes with lifetime updates. There is a smart phone app that allows phone calls and weather alerts right on the gps screen. Pretty happy with ours.

gmadams 02-20-2018 12:38 AM

Rand McNally and Garmin are both good. I have both currently but use the one in the radio unit which is a Rand McNally as my main unit. Both have lifetime map updates. It is a matter of personal preference like a Ford or a Chevy.

Mo_Mike 02-21-2018 12:11 AM

We use the GARMIN RV760...Like the fact it is quick disconnect from the base( no unplugging cords) and we connect the rear camera to it for a larger easier to see monitor for watching the toad.

Mr Sunshine 02-21-2018 12:16 AM

We use a Garmin RV 760LMT, as do several forum members, that or the newer 770. Ours sits on a bean bag mount, easily removed to use in the car we tow, or any other vehicle as needed.

As Greg said, this was thoroughly discussed in the last few months.

DocP 02-21-2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VJRocky (Post 109019)
I have a Garmin RV770 which works well. You can input your RV measurements and it will route you around low clearances. My model, while pricey, comes with lifetime updates. There is a smart phone app that allows phone calls and weather alerts right on the gps screen. Pretty happy with ours.

Same here. Display quality is outstanding.

JamieGeek 02-21-2018 11:21 AM

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f5/...ion-10731.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f5/...gps-10452.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...pps-10552.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...ions-6509.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/gps-7893.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f29/gps-7720.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...vice-6299.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...-gps-5540.html

As you can see the GPS question comes up a lot.

Bob Denman 02-21-2018 12:17 PM

:o Why are we so worried about getting lost? :ermm:
Isn't the journey more important than the destination? :hide:

JamieGeek 02-21-2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Denman (Post 109172)
:o Why are we so worried about getting lost? :ermm:
Isn't the journey more important than the destination? :hide:

Not sure that the concern is actually "getting lost"; I think its more "being lead to a too-low bridge" or "getting stuck and not being able to turn around".

Bob Denman 02-21-2018 01:15 PM

Oh! :D You mean the "unintended adventures..." :coolsmiley:

Miramar Owner 02-21-2018 02:13 PM

Keep in mind even the best GPS doesn't replace an active brain. Mine led me the shortest route into a state park. It didn't know that once into the campground I would encounter a low railroad bridge... 12' 3"clearance. My RV is 12' 9". Luckily I saw it and was able to turn around after disconnecting the toad.

Skip 500 02-21-2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Denman (Post 109172)
:o Why are we so worried about getting lost? :ermm:
Isn't the journey more important than the destination? :hide:

I've never been lost! I always know right where I am and someone is always telling me where to go:thumb:

steve76 02-21-2018 02:25 PM

IMO, I use GPS as a backup and my hard maps as a primary intended route. Never do I totally rely on them, they're not fool proof.

blw2 02-21-2018 02:33 PM

It's been several years since we owned a dedicated GPS unit...it was a Garmin for cars. I splurged when I bought it for DW and got the lifetime maps. It was a good unit for a while. I updated maps a time or two.... then hardware went on the fritz. Replaced under warranty...and that one eventually died too.

At that point I figured the lifetime maps are a waste of money. Probably better to just plan on buying a new unit every couple years.

I don't know if it's still that way or not.....

I've been using cell phone and google maps mostly. I was using Waze but I find that the google app has a louder voice which i need in the RV.
I sure do wish Google would add settings for low overhead and weight restrictions.
Are you listening Google Maps?
They have steered me down a couple roads where I ended up getting hemmed in a bit (no trucks after a few turns in & no place to turn around, etc..)

Bob Denman 02-21-2018 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip 500 (Post 109188)
I always know right where I am and someone is always telling me where to go:thumb:

Me too: I married her almost 35 years ago... :D

wayneroe 02-21-2018 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Denman (Post 109203)
Me too: I married her almost 35 years ago... :D

And I have no doubt, Bob, that you give thanks daily for that blessing. ;)

Bob Denman 02-21-2018 10:40 PM

:o She makes sure to remind me to give thanks: every day! :o

Joe-FL 02-21-2018 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blw2 (Post 109191)
It's been several years since we owned a dedicated GPS unit...it was a Garmin for cars. I splurged when I bought it for DW and got the lifetime maps. It was a good unit for a while. I updated maps a time or two.... then hardware went on the fritz. Replaced under warranty...and that one eventually died too.

At that point I figured the lifetime maps are a waste of money. Probably better to just plan on buying a new unit every couple years.

I don't know if it's still that way or not.....

I've been using cell phone and google maps mostly. I was using Waze but I find that the google app has a louder voice which i need in the RV.
I sure do wish Google would add settings for low overhead and weight restrictions.
Are you listening Google Maps?
They have steered me down a couple roads where I ended up getting hemmed in a bit (no trucks after a few turns in & no place to turn around, etc..)

The cheapest and best way to avoid those situations is to stop by Love's or Flying J and purchase a Trucker's Atlas. You can get the really nice plastic coated 2018 one for about $50.00, or the regular paper one like I did for $14.00. Gives all low clearances in each State among other things.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2