Thor Forums

Thor Forums (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Thor RV Lifestyle (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f28/)
-   -   Steelers Tailgating (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f28/steelers-tailgating-11815.html)

Fish and Dear 04-24-2018 08:18 PM

Steelers Tailgating
 
Me wife is a huge Steelers fan. For Mothers' Day she is getting tickets to a preseason game at Heinz Field. SSSHHHHH...she doesn't know yet. Anyone have any advice for RV parking/tailgating there? Also...what small, light grill would you recommend for tailgating? Nothing fancy...basic burgers kinda thing.

Mike in AZ 04-24-2018 08:41 PM

Hopefully youíll find better info than I can offer, but hereís what little I know. Took my sons to the Burgh in December 2016 to watch the Giants get beat by our Steelers. We stayed in the Hyatt Place, which sits between Heinz Field and PNC Park.

Tailgaters were all throughout the parking lot immediately behind the Hyatt, as well as the lots between there and Heinz. There were cars, pickups, campers, even busses. Look at it on Google Maps.

I suggest getting there early. It fills up!

The tailgaters were living large. It was COLD but we all had a great time.

Iím not sure how I feel about the NFL this season, because of the whole Anthem / kneeling thing, but if it gets worked out I am thinking of going in 2019 with the boys and our RV.

Have fun! Thatís a great gift to your wife!

traversity 04-24-2018 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike in AZ (Post 117156)
Hopefully youíll find better info than I can offer, but hereís what little I know. Took my sons to the Burgh in December 2016 to watch the Giants get beat by our Steelers. We stayed in the Hyatt Place, which sits between Heinz Field and PNC Park.



Tailgaters were all throughout the parking lot immediately behind the Hyatt, as well as the lots between there and Heinz. There were cars, pickups, campers, even busses. Look at it on Google Maps.



I suggest getting there early. It fills up!



The tailgaters were living large. It was COLD but we all had a great time.



Iím not sure how I feel about the NFL this season, because of the whole Anthem / kneeling thing, but if it gets worked out I am thinking of going in 2019 with the boys and our RV.



Have fun! Thatís a great gift to your wife!



We went to a game last year, and unless you are able to fit your camper in a regular parking spot they donít allow campers. If you are interested, here is my review, we are trying to get to all the stadiums.

https://traversity.wordpress.com/201...ield-11-26-17/

jpmihalk 04-25-2018 12:01 AM

We went last year for the Packers/Steelers game. Lots of tailgating but zero parking near the stadium for RVs. We had to stay at a KOA about 30 minutes away and drive to a parking lot. I recommend you reserve a parking spot prior to going, there doesnít seem to be much in the way of space that isnít already claimed nearby.

Fish and Dear 04-27-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmihalk (Post 117197)
We went last year for the Packers/Steelers game. Lots of tailgating but zero parking near the stadium for RVs. We had to stay at a KOA about 30 minutes away and drive to a parking lot. I recommend you reserve a parking spot prior to going, there doesnít seem to be much in the way of space that isnít already claimed nearby.

So best bet is just take the toad and drive into the city for the game?

jpmihalk 04-27-2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish and Dear (Post 117525)
So best bet is just take the toad and drive into the city for the game?

That was what we found. We have friends who are Steeler fans and they stayed at the Hyatt next to Heinz Field and we just tailgated with them in their lot. You can get parking downtown for your toad and tailgate in the lot, if that works better for you.

Fish and Dear 04-27-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmihalk (Post 117527)
That was what we found. We have friends who are Steeler fans and they stayed at the Hyatt next to Heinz Field and we just tailgated with them in their lot. You can get parking downtown for your toad and tailgate in the lot, if that works better for you.

I've read the Steelers have a whole section of tailgating they put on themselves. And there seems to be plenty of fun to be had anywhere nearby. I'd rather stay in our RV than a Hyatt any day.

The Gritz Carlton 04-27-2018 01:55 PM

Regarding the grill question, I use the Napoleon 285. It's a bit pricey but well made, light (20 pounds) and has dual burners so I can actually use it as a mini, cross-cooking BBQ smoker also. Very similar to the Weber minis. Adapter uses the 20 and 30# fittings, not the green bottles. I also had hoses made where I can hook it up to the auxiliary gas outlet on the RV. Cooks hot and has heavy cast iron grates.

jpmihalk 04-27-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish and Dear (Post 117530)
I've read the Steelers have a whole section of tailgating they put on themselves. And there seems to be plenty of fun to be had anywhere nearby. I'd rather stay in our RV than a Hyatt any day.

I would completely agree about staying in our RV than a Hyatt! The overall experience was great other than being zero RV friendly. Maybe if you had a conversion van, a Class B or a small Class C you won't find a parking spot in any of the lots downtown. As for those who find RVs parked there, those are all season ticket holders with parking permits.

Mr Sunshine 04-27-2018 09:13 PM

There's a State Park campground near Gallipolis, OH, Raccoon Creek SP. That might be a possibility if you have your toad. Was there last summer, nice park.

JamieGeek 04-27-2018 09:21 PM

One of the closest campgrounds is Mountaintop Campground. I can't tell you anything about it....yet.

We're going to stay there to pick up a Pirates game (that will be stadium 26 of 30 on our tour). I'll be able to comment about it after that ;)

Fish and Dear 04-28-2018 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine (Post 117583)
There's a State Park campground near Gallipolis, OH, Raccoon Creek SP. That might be a possibility if you have your toad. Was there last summer, nice park.

Thanks. I'll look up that campground.

Fish and Dear 04-28-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieGeek (Post 117586)
One of the closest campgrounds is Mountaintop Campground. I can't tell you anything about it....yet.

We're going to stay there to pick up a Pirates game (that will be stadium 26 of 30 on our tour). I'll be able to comment about it after that ;)

Thanks. I'll look up that campground.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2