Thor Forums

Thor Forums (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Thor RV Lifestyle (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f28/)
-   -   Pet Travels...Temp Alarms (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f28/pet-travels-temp-alarms-13702.html)

Fish and Dear 08-19-2018 12:26 PM

Pet Travels...Temp Alarms

So what is a good temp alarm for the rig when? We are often in places without wifi. I can only find wifi-connected devices. Suggestions?

Bob Denman 08-19-2018 12:37 PM

We are equally curious about a solution... :popcorn::popcorn:

Fish and Dear 08-19-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Denman (Post 139110)
We are equally curious about a solution... :popcorn::popcorn:

I thought you had all the answers, Bob.

Bob Denman 08-19-2018 12:49 PM

Don't follow me: I'm lost too! :D
Seriously: we've been researching this question for a while, and are completely befuddled with all of the possible choices. :facepalm:
!

Fish and Dear 08-19-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Denman (Post 139116)
Don't follow me: I'm lost too! :D
Seriously: we've been researching this question for a while, and are completely befuddled with all of the possible choices. :facepalm:
!

What all choices? I only find connected devices. Have you found something else?

Bob Denman 08-19-2018 01:08 PM

We've been looking on Amazon, and have found a bewildering array of systems.
Ranging from about forty bucks; to over four-hundred... :hide:

ArrrV 08-19-2018 01:38 PM

Satellite Phone system?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish and Dear (Post 139109)
So what is a good temp alarm for the rig when? We are often in places without wifi. I can only find wifi-connected devices. Suggestions?

I have found no systems that do not require, wifi, Bluetooth, or a separate landline phone connection (similar to burglar alarms). Makes sense, how else can you be notified except by sat phone and never saw a sat phone based system ( that cost for would be very high and potential issues with needing ability to communicate via different sat phone systems (Globalstar, Iridium, etc) Let me know what you find..... I am using TempStick with a dedicated personal WiFi hotspot.

DanChateau33SW 08-20-2018 01:21 PM

Nimble Pet Monitor. rvpetsafety.com My wife and I have been using this for a few years, along with several friends, and we have all had a great experience with them. They give temperature and battery life, work off of cell signal, and give alarms that you can set for high/low temperature and battery. Highly recommend it! Also, if you are interested and PM me, I will provide a code that you and I can both receive a discount.

Bob Denman 08-20-2018 01:23 PM

Thanks! This looks to be a very promising setup! :thumb:

DanChateau33SW 08-20-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Denman (Post 139283)
Thanks! This looks to be a very promising setup! :thumb:

We travel to a few dog shows here and there, and we have a lot of dog show friends using it also. If it didn't work well, NONE of us would rely on it or recommend it.

Fish and Dear 08-20-2018 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanChateau33SW (Post 139282)
Nimble Pet Monitor. rvpetsafety.com My wife and I have been using this for a few years, along with several friends, and we have all had a great experience with them. They give temperature and battery life, work off of cell signal, and give alarms that you can set for high/low temperature and battery. Highly recommend it! Also, if you are interested and PM me, I will provide a code that you and I can both receive a discount.

Are you ever in places where you cannot get a signal? If so what is the work around?

DanChateau33SW 08-20-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish and Dear (Post 139297)
Are you ever in places where you cannot get a signal? If so what is the work around?

We have been in some areas that you didn't think you would ever have service and we still did. Now, if you are in the deep back country, you never know...

The Gritz Carlton 08-20-2018 02:47 PM

Then...you can take them with you or let them run free!! Something good about being out of signal!!

Bob Denman 08-20-2018 03:09 PM

I see that they're a bit over $200, and have a Monthly fee...
it all seems pretty reasonable: we're going to dig a bit deeper into it.
Thanks for the info on them! :thumb::thumb:

srambus 08-20-2018 06:50 PM

Wouldn't an auto gen start system work?

Bob Denman 08-20-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton (Post 139317)
Then...you can take them with you or let them run free!! Something good about being out of signal!!

Letting our little one run free would only fatten-up the local coyote population. :eek:

As Mike Baxter once said: "I don't know if it counts as a dog; if it can be killed by a cat!" :nonono:

gmc 08-21-2018 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish and Dear (Post 139109)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrrV (Post 139125)
... I am using TempStick with a dedicated personal WiFi hotspot.

I am using TempStick as well - with AT&T Mobley hotspot...
I wouldn't trust most CG wifi's to be reliable from my experiences.
No monthly fee for the temp stick... and got the Mobley when they had the $20/month unlimited connected car promotion.
With their app and notifications set up - I can look to check - and it can alert me... Easy to disable/enable alerts between trips.

Mobley doubles (triples?) as car wifi and detached workshop wifi (distance challenged from house router) when not in use in the RV.

revjeffrey 08-21-2018 01:49 AM

If you are using the Mobley like I am also. I think I purchased on your recommendation.. Thank you! @ $20.00. You can also use a TEND, SAMSUNG SMART CAM or similar WiFi camera. You can then see your Dog, Hear your Dog, Talk to your Dog. Also can HEAR & SEE anyone breaking into your rig Taking your dog! I started Testing them a few years ago. I now "get alerted" and see when delivery boxes are on my porch, then call neighbor if they can hold till we return. AND>>>>> the Biggie!!! I have one in my garage at home so when we are 1/2 hr. away. The arguments start if the "garage doors were closed" They will also hold days of recordings incase of a break in on micro sd card. I did purchase mine @ Sams & Costco.

revjeffrey 08-21-2018 01:57 AM

Live Samsung garage shot Total Darkness. Cameras were $50.00 ea. Attachment 12356Attachment 12357

Bob Denman 08-22-2018 12:46 PM

We're going to try a relatively cheap experiment ($35), and have ordered one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a Wi-Fi based system; so we'll experiment with it around here locally first. :thumb: