Thor Forums

Thor Forums (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   RV makes me feel stupid (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17/rv-makes-me-feel-stupid-14477.html)

EVMIII 10-06-2018 03:40 PM

RV makes me feel stupid
 
I've had this ACE for six months now and am still trying to figure things out. I go out last night to start prepping the RV for the trip to Talladega next week and find the inverter telling me my batteries were at 12.3 volts. I have been plugged in to 50 amp power for a couple weeks, AC turned on to make loading more comfy, Fridge chilling. First assumption, converter/charger must be bad. Check the batteries with meter and verified 12.3 volts. As I'm getting more and more frustrated, I start dragging out my shop battery charger to boost my 50% depleted batteries this morning. I'm not an idiot, I look at the use/store button and it is illuminated. I turn everything off, unplug the 50 amp and put the charger on the batteries. Battery tester/charger says batteries are good and verify 12.3 volts.

I only live about 5 minutes from my local CW so I'm waiting on them at 8 this morning to get the the service manager. I describe my issue to service manager and he says the converter is obviously working because it has to for the AC and fridge. He says are you sure your use/store button is on? Of course I'm sure, I'm not an idiot, the light is definitely on. He then boldly says well you know it illuminates when you plug it in, doesn't mean it's on. I confidently replied, but it must be on because the AC and fridge are running. He then gives me that look and says, that's not true. They will both work when plugged in, but if the switch is off it will bypass the converter charger. What you talking about Willis? Says they will take a look Monday, but requests I go home and unplug, turn the switch on and off, plug back in and verify use/store switch and operations. I skeptically agree and start making plans to drop of Monday for new converter. So you have probably already figured out how this story ends. Whose dumb idea was it to illuminate the switch when it wasn't on just because you are hooked to power. Plugged back in, flipped use/store switch, heard converter/charger come on and inverter is showing 13.2 volts. Ok, maybe I'm an idiot.

JamieGeek 10-06-2018 04:13 PM

No you're not.

The Use/Store switch is a very common topic of conversation around here. We've all been guilty of having it off when it should be on.

Yours is just more of an enigma because of the light that will illuminate either if you're plugged in or if you're in use.

I've found that for things like that on the RV before I ask someone I cycle it a few times to make sure it is doing what I think it is doing ;)

Larry 10-06-2018 04:33 PM

Weíve been there and done things we thought made us look idiotic but itís just a learning trend.

I paid $399 for a Dish Playmaker antennae (waaay too much, I know now) after my tailgater got damaged. 3 days later I used a hose and rinsed leaves and trash off the bottom after a rain. Come to find out the bottom has holes in it and not at all weather proof. Yep, I toasted it. Not covered by warranty. Bought another one just like it (with tripod) from Amazon (free 2 day shipping to campground) for $248. Tripod $71.

Live and learn donít we?

16ACE27 10-06-2018 05:14 PM

Yep, that light only indicates there is power on the 12 VDC buss, not the condition of the USE/STORE switch/relay. This has been used mostly in Class Cs but obviously Thor wants to confuse Class A owners as well.

Bob Denman 10-06-2018 07:03 PM

Don't feel bad about thinking that you're an idiot: you aren't! :thumb:
The use/Store switch is a puzzle that few folks seem to get on the first try... :o

Cason61 10-07-2018 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieGeek (Post 148183)
No you're not.

The Use/Store switch is a very common topic of conversation around here. We've all been guilty of having it off when it should be on.

Yours is just more of an enigma because of the light that will illuminate either if you're plugged in or if you're in use.

I've found that for things like that on the RV before I ask someone I cycle it a few times to make sure it is doing what I think it is doing ;)

With mine not indicating if it's on or off cause it does not lite, I flip it up, turn on a kitchen lite, then flip the switch down and if the lite goes out, it is off.

K0LCB 10-07-2018 12:47 AM

Live, learn, laugh! Welcome to our group!

MiramarVA 10-09-2018 02:16 PM

If this stuff was easy or made sense, there would be no need for this forum. We would all be happy and out camping!

Bob Denman 10-09-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiramarVA (Post 148647)
If this stuff was easy or made sense, there would be no need for this forum. We would all be happy and out camping!

:D ...And think how boring that would be! :lol:

Skip 500 10-09-2018 03:30 PM

RV's just make our life challenging and interesting, by trying to solve all of these issues, we keep our minds and bodies active and will probably ward off oldtimers disease:thumb:

The Gritz Carlton 10-09-2018 03:41 PM

Make stick-on labels with a label maker for "on" and "off". They must have known I was stupid from the git-go because my switch illuminates when in the "on" position and not when turned off. Maybe Thor listened to someone, somewhere along the line.

Bob Denman 10-09-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip 500 (Post 148664)
RV's just make our life challenging and interesting, by trying to solve all of these issues, we keep our minds and bodies active and will probably ward off oldtimers disease:thumb:

My Missus is still terrified of the convection microwave... :eek:

Long & Winding road 10-09-2018 07:58 PM

Mine used the convection mode and melted the plactic cover for the microwave stuff. But it still tasted Okay - high in fiber. LOL.

saddlesore 10-09-2018 08:51 PM

When we were young..We DID Stewpud Stuff...Now that We are Older (In My Case Much Older) We STILL do Stewpud Stuff...We just do it Slower...

Bob Denman 10-09-2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saddlesore (Post 148725)
When we were young..We DID Stewpud Stuff...Now that We are Older (In My Case Much Older) We STILL do Stewpud Stuff...We just do it Slower...

It takes twice as long to do it, but we only regret it for half as long...

:lol: We forget faster! :rofl:

Cason61 10-09-2018 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton (Post 148668)
Make stick-on labels with a label maker for "on" and "off". They must have known I was stupid from the git-go because my switch illuminates when in the "on" position and not when turned off. Maybe Thor listened to someone, somewhere along the line.

Hey! That's what I did long time ago cause most of the writing on the entrance switch does not stand out. Matter of fact, the whatever it is they call it for the panel next to the bedroom doesn't have lettering that stands out either. Got one of those label makers ... and while I was at it I labelled all the storage compartments with what's inside, Example: batterys, bbq stuff, toolbox. Also color coded my keys too, blue for entrance, green for lock, red storage and yellow for the locking compartments. All that means more time for Beer calls.

Cason61 10-11-2018 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cason61 (Post 148756)
Hey! That's what I did long time ago cause most of the writing on the entrance switch does not stand out. Matter of fact, the whatever it is they call it for the panel next to the bedroom doesn't have lettering that stands out either. Got one of those label makers ... and while I was at it I labelled all the storage compartments with what's inside, Example: batterys, bbq stuff, toolbox. Also color coded my keys too, blue for entrance, green for lock, red storage and yellow for the locking compartments. All that means more time for Beer calls.

Yeah, beer calls... Got parked in an RV slot after a long trip, got the auto level set up, the water, sewer, electricity, turned on the A/C, moved the picnic table over, set up the BBQ grill AND I finally listened to that beer that was calling to me inside the RV. So I went up the steps, opened the refer door...... and a jar of pickles fell on the floor and broke open. Had to scoop up the glass & pickles, paper toweled the floor dry but still sticky and after drinking two beers to make sure I got the right one, wet down a beach towel and sqeegeed the floor to get all the sticky pickle juice up. So why don't they make plastic pickle jars like they do the mustard & ketchup bottles?

Bob Denman 10-11-2018 02:34 PM

Always get sweet pickles: it's easy to find a dog or two in the campground, that'll be happy to lick up the mess on the floor! :lol:

Cason61 10-11-2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Denman (Post 148947)
Always get sweet pickles: it's easy to find a dog or two in the campground, that'll be happy to lick up the mess on the floor! [emoji38]

I am (now) the Count de 'Gerkin', AKA 'Dill' and curiously enough our Wiener... I mean Dacshund didn't care for the pickle juice on the floor. We mopped the floor twice but it didn't work too well. Now wetting down a beach towel and dragging it across the floor, that worked. Course we had to wash it out then let it dry and shake it outside in case of a tiny glass shard. After all this work, took some more Beers to rehydrate ourselves. Next time we'll take the relish in the plastic bottles.

Bob Denman 10-11-2018 06:33 PM

I'll bet you don't "relish" the thought of finding yourself in this "pickle" again... :rofl:


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2