Thor Forums

Thor Forums (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Thor Owners Community Discussions (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/)
-   -   Gps? (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/gps-14847.html)

The Freeze's 10-31-2018 01:09 AM

Gps?
 
Does anyone have a recomendation for a gps that works well for an RV?

Lt Keefer 10-31-2018 01:51 AM

Google maps on my cell phone works for me.

The Freeze's 10-31-2018 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lt Keefer (Post 152106)
Google maps on my cell phone works for me.

My wife and I were coming from Saluda NC Monday and Waze took us 12 miles down a road toward Tryon NC. We came to a "T" intersection and to our right was a railroad bridge that was 11' 11" clearance and a sign in front of us that said 3 miles down the road to our left was a bridge with only 7' 8" clearance. I wandered if there was a gps that took things like that into consideration or had an input for vehicle height?

JamieGeek 10-31-2018 02:20 AM

The question has been asked many times on here. One of the most popular ones are the Garmin RV specific GPS models.

Some prior threads:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/gps-13718.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...gps-13274.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...ach-11064.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f5/...gps-10452.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...ions-6509.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/gps-8507.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/gps-7893.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f29/gps-7720.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f6/...stem-5939.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...-gps-5540.html

16ACE27 10-31-2018 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Freeze's (Post 152107)
My wife and I were coming from Saluda NC Monday and Waze took us 12 miles down a road toward Tryon NC. We came to a "T" intersection and to our right was a railroad bridge that was 11' 11" clearance and a sign in front of us that said 3 miles down the road to our left was a bridge with only 7' 8" clearance. I wandered if there was a gps that took things like that into consideration or had an input for vehicle height?

Any RV Specific GPS will take your RV's height and weight into consideration.
CoPilot Smartphone app will as well.

Bob Denman 10-31-2018 11:55 AM

CoPilot smartphone app?
That sounds like a winner: is that for Apple phones, or will it also work with Android models also?

The Gritz Carlton 10-31-2018 12:08 PM

Garmin RV 770. Tops!! I use it with Google features on phone and ParkAdvisor app. The Garmin allows you to program the specific features of your RV and routes you accordingly like avoiding low bridges, etc.

16ACE27 10-31-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Denman (Post 152124)
CoPilot smartphone app?
That sounds like a winner: is that for Apple phones, or will it also work with Android models also?

Google is your friend:

https://copilotgps.com/en-us/

Bob Denman 10-31-2018 01:30 PM

:D I figured I'd find out if you were willing to save me some typing. :coolsmiley:
I did...

The Gritz Carlton 10-31-2018 02:21 PM

One advantage to a GPS vs phone apps is that Satellites are always there...cell service isn't. Having both systems available are good practice. One is none...two is one. I still collect paper maps at the rest areas...yep...it's an age thing and you can actually see the entire state without having to swipe the crap out of it.

JamieGeek 10-31-2018 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton (Post 152134)
One advantage to a GPS vs phone apps is that Satellites are always there...cell service isn't. Having both systems available are good practice. One is none...two is one. I still collect paper maps at the rest areas...yep...it's an age thing and you can actually see the entire state without having to swipe the crap out of it.

In Google maps:
  • Tap the three-bar menu at top left
  • Tap "Offline Maps"
  • Tap "Select your own map"
  • Scroll/pan/zoom to make the rectangle cover the area where you are going
  • Tap "Download"
  • Repeat for multiple areas
Now Google maps will work when there is no cell service for the areas you've downloaded. I use an inexpensive Android tablet for navigation in the RV. It only has WiFi so I do the above procedure before heading out.

Bob Denman 10-31-2018 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton (Post 152134)
One advantage to a GPS vs phone apps is that Satellites are always there...cell service isn't. Having both systems available are good practice. One is none...two is one. I still collect paper maps at the rest areas...yep...it's an age thing and you can actually see the entire state without having to swipe the crap out of it.

I also like to have more than one arrow in the Quiver... :rolleyes:

Cason61 11-01-2018 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Denman (Post 152140)
I also like to have more than one arrow in the Quiver... :rolleyes:

Hmm ... The paper maps are good, the campground maps have thier uses, looking at the GPS has its good points too. You're right about the cell phone though. I got a bunch of 3 x 5 cards & write down the next days trip the night before & put them in a shirt pocket or a cup holder so just in case the GPS goes, the campground maps is way too small to read and the state maps have detours or the name of the road is different from the map's name. I have had it happen too, reading the cards cause everything is wrong.

Lt Keefer 11-01-2018 03:59 AM

It's a wonder Lewis and Clark ever made it to the Pacific without Garman or Google. I often wonder about people that can't drive to the grocery without GPS directions. Have we become so addle-brained that we can't survive without our electronic devices? Have we lost the sense of discovery that folks had when they blazed The Oregon Trail?

The Gritz Carlton 11-01-2018 10:48 AM

Yes...where's my Garmin...I've got to go get the mail. I've been an avid boater all my life and hold a 100 Ton USCG License. Reading paper maps/charts and navigating with instruments is my passion. I still love the paper maps from rest areas. GPS is a great tool but you must "know well where you're going" way before you turn anything else on and be ready when she tries to take the train down a dirt road. The Trucker's Atlas is among the best tools you can use.

16ACE27 11-01-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton (Post 152237)
Yes...where's my Garmin...I've got to go get the mail. I've been an avid boater all my life and hold a 100 Ton USCG License. Reading paper maps/charts and navigating with instruments is my passion. I still love the paper maps from rest areas. GPS is a great tool but you must "know well where you're going" way before you turn anything else on and be ready when she tries to take the train down a dirt road. The Trucker's Atlas is among the best tools you can use.

I'm right there with you. The GPS just gives you one line of bearing. You need to have an idea of where you are and use multiple lines of bearing to verify it.

Cason61 11-01-2018 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfryman (Post 152239)
I'm right there with you. The GPS just gives you one line of bearing. You need to have an idea of where you are and use multiple lines of bearing to verify it.

Yeah, it's happened more than once. "The road is closed. Construction ahead, map says this, but reality shows its not a paved road. The gas station ahead? It's closed. "

SammyC 11-02-2018 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by the freeze's (Post 152101)
does anyone have a recomendation for a gps that works well for an rv?



Attachment 13834

Bob Denman 11-02-2018 06:31 PM

:D I agree! :bow:

The Gritz Carlton 11-02-2018 06:47 PM

770 is the answer...plus it's totally voice command. Speak an address, a city or a place...she puts you there.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2