Thor Forums

Thor Forums (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Modifications and Updates (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27/)
-   -   Roof Preventative Maintenance (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27/roof-preventative-maintenance-16038.html)

dave.irwin.59@gmail.com 02-11-2019 12:59 AM

Roof Preventative Maintenance

<2018 Thor Hurricane 29M>

I've been considering some preventative maintenance on my roof, including having supplies at the ready.

I have a few questions that may be rig specific:

- What is my roof made of (rubber?)

- Is there anything I should not clean it with that could cause damage?

- What should I use to clean areas before applying sealent?

- Dicor self-leveling lap sealent over any cracks?

I've been considering Eternabond tape over/around all existing sealent.
- overkill?
- better long term option?

Also, best product for silicon sealing sides of the rig?

Love this site and all of the expert help.

Thanks

blw2 02-11-2019 02:09 PM

More than likely the roof is TPO. You can clean it with regular cleaning products. I've scrubbed mine with spic n span. Just be careful, it's slippery with soap on it!

Just be careful with solvents such as mineral spirits and such. Those can damage the roof.

Yes, dicor self leveling to touch up around the seams.... just scrape/pull up any loose stuff. Clean it well then apply.

I think eternabond is probably a fine product and not overkill...but I personally wouldn't bother till it's time for a re caulk. Check eternabond's web site. they have tons of data sheets and videos about proper use and application. If it's put on wrong can imagine it could be a nightmare.

Oh, and my advice....don't use silicone caulk. In my experience it doesn't stick well enough to be a good sealant or a good adhesive....but it sticks well enough to be very hard to remove.... and once it's on, nothing else will stick to it.

jabrabu 02-11-2019 03:22 PM

I once found some info from the TPO manufacturer, and they recommended Murphy's Oil Soap to clean it. There are also specific RV roof cleaning and protecting products from companies like Thetford.

Chuck and Mary Ann 02-12-2019 10:06 PM

I don't recall seeing any Thetford roof supplies, guess I need to dig deeper, thanks for that information! Guess Thetfords is not just for toilets anymore!

Long & Winding road 02-12-2019 10:51 PM

Yep, TPO.

Yep, Tedford has a TPO roof cleaning products (I used one last year - worked fine) but some other mild cleaning solution should work just as well (and cost less).

Yep, Dicor self level only (No silicone) and I thought about using Eternabond tape some day as well on all seams. I think if your RV is outside year around you would want to use this after a couple of years.

Check your roof 2 x (or more if you can) a year and touch up as needed.

I put 303 protectant on my roof after I clean it (NEVER use a silione type protectant ....AKA ArmorAll... on an RV - Esp on the roof and tires).

303 will only last a few mo.... but it repels some dirt and UV rays during that time. I think I will do it once a year anyways.

Lt Keefer 02-13-2019 12:33 AM

I use Murphy Oil soap and Dicor, twice a year. These products have served me well since 1999. I use the soap and a soft brush on a dry sunny day. The following day I do any cracks in the dicor. Keeping the roof clean also seems to help reduce black streaks on the sides of the coach.

K0LCB 02-13-2019 01:58 AM

I advise against using any scented cleaners, like Awesome Orange. It will attract birds and they will make holes in your roof.

The Gritz Carlton 02-13-2019 01:56 PM

Murphy's get my vote also...it's all I've ever used. It serves as a conditioner as well and is very gentle. Make sure your insurance is current...that stuff is slicker than snot on a doorknob.

safari 02-13-2019 03:16 PM

Soooo, Is there a ratio to use Murphy' s on the TPO roof ?:confused:

Thanks

The Gritz Carlton 02-13-2019 03:24 PM

Hmmm...not sure. I just pour it on an area followed by a long handled wet car wash brush with a bucket of water. Rinse as you go. It isn't so strong as to damage anything. Just keep things wet.

safari 02-13-2019 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton (Post 167507)
Hmmm...not sure. I just pour it on an area followed by a long handled wet car wash brush with a bucket of water. Rinse as you go. It isn't so strong as to damage anything. Just keep things wet.

Thank You,Gritz Carlton, Now it's on the wife's to do list.:thumb::lol:

The Gritz Carlton 02-13-2019 04:38 PM

Her list for you to do or her list for her to do??:rofl:

safari 02-13-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton (Post 167520)
Her list for you to do or her list for her to do??:rofl:

I'am sure it will be for me to do. UNLESS, I can talk her into doing it.:flowers:
But I don't think so.

Lt Keefer 02-13-2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by safari (Post 167500)
Soooo, Is there a ratio to use Murphy' s on the TPO roof ?:confused:

Thanks

I use a couple of ounces diluted in a couple of gallons. Starting at the front, I dip the brush in the bucket, scrub and work back to the ladder. Then rinse with the hose, back to front. It doesn't take long, maybe 30 minutes to do it.

safari 02-14-2019 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lt Keefer (Post 167574)
I use a couple of ounces diluted in a couple of gallons. Starting at the front, I dip the brush in the bucket, scrub and work back to the ladder. Then rinse with the hose, back to front. It doesn't take long, maybe 30 minutes to do it.

Sounds easy enough,Thank You :thumb:

Mike