Thor Forums

Thor Forums (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Modifications and Updates (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27/)
-   -   Cab Over TV Power Idea? (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27/cab-over-tv-power-idea-17610.html)

MattRX 06-03-2019 07:50 PM

Cab Over TV Power Idea?

Hello!

My 2018 Freedom Express 30FE automatically cuts the power to the outlet that my over the cab TV and DVD player when I turn the ignition to the cab. I thought that I should be able to run an extension cord from another outlet...but wondered what others have done?
I figure this is a safety feature, but my kids want to be able to watch a movie while we travel. Thanks for your input!

-Matt

The Gritz Carlton 06-03-2019 08:42 PM

Change the wiring from that outlet to the inverter.

blw2 06-06-2019 04:15 PM

just find the relay that is interlocking it, and bypass it.
if you are going to be such a Rebel!

(disclaimer: I do not condone or suggest this be done in any way. Do not try this at home. For off-road use only, check your local laws and consult an attorney) :whistling:

Bob Denman 06-06-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blw2 (Post 186450)
...(disclaimer: I do not condone or suggest this be done in any way. Do not try this at home. For off-road use only, check your local laws and consult an attorney) :whistling:

Don't forget the most important one: "Your mileage may vary..." :rofl:

LandKO 06-06-2019 05:17 PM

Are you sure you have power to the other outlets when traveling? My 30FE doesnít have an inverter so the only way to have AC power while driving is to run the generator while on the road.

The Gritz Carlton 06-06-2019 05:19 PM

I think he means it cuts the power out to that outlet (auto lock-out) when he turns the key, while running the generator.

mmthor 06-06-2019 08:02 PM

Under the rear dinette seat you will find a square metal electrical box that has a low voltage connector that plugs into a relay inside. Unplug this low voltage connector and you should be good to go.

LandKO 06-06-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton (Post 186461)
I think he means it cuts the power out to that outlet (auto lock-out) when he turns the key, while running the generator.

Could be, I never tried operating the bunk TV while in motion.
Iíll have to try that sometime
Thanks

The Gritz Carlton 06-06-2019 08:33 PM

For those units without inverters...install one and run the TV plug to it. You can also run the fridge from it with 120V power instead of LP while traveling.

LandKO 06-06-2019 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton (Post 186492)
For those units without inverters...install one and run the TV plug to it. You can also run the fridge from it with 120V power instead of LP while traveling.

Interesting idea, but how would one go about determining how large of an inverter is needed and can be powered using the existing alternator on my RV, which is built on the Ford E450 chassis?

The Gritz Carlton 06-07-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LandKO (Post 186526)
Interesting idea, but how would one go about determining how large of an inverter is needed and can be powered using the existing alternator on my RV, which is built on the Ford E450 chassis?

Connect inverter to house or chassis battery bank. AMPS X VOLTS = WATTAGE necessary. Usually a 1000W - 1200W inverter would work for that usage. Find out what Amperage your TV draws. Multiply this by 120. That equals the Wattage necessary. For the fridge, use the surge amperage for calculations. Add together all devices you will run at one time.

MattRX 06-07-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LandKO (Post 186460)
Are you sure you have power to the other outlets when traveling? My 30FE doesnít have an inverter so the only way to have AC power while driving is to run the generator while on the road.

Iím not sure. My rig is stored off-site, so I plan to tackle this over the weekend.
My generator will run my AC while traveling though.

MattRX 06-07-2019 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmthor (Post 186484)
Under the rear dinette seat you will find a square metal electrical box that has a low voltage connector that plugs into a relay inside. Unplug this low voltage connector and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the tip. Iíll try this too!

Elite Washington 06-08-2019 04:15 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MattRX (Post 186600)
Thanks for the tip. Iíll try this too!

I looked all over for that didnít think about looking in the rear dinette. What I ended up doing was this.

MattRX 06-10-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

There was no box under my dinette, so I just ran an extension cord.
There's an outlet under the cabinet that houses my DVD player, so it was a short run and isn't very noticeable.

Thanks again for the replies fellas!

The Gritz Carlton 06-10-2019 03:53 PM

So...do you have to run the generator all day so the kids can watch TV or do you have an inverter? If no inverter...add on...the savings on fuel and generator life would be huge.

MattRX 06-10-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton (Post 187107)
So...do you have to run the generator all day so the kids can watch TV or do you have an inverter? If no inverter...add on...the savings on fuel and generator life would be huge.

I do have to run the generator while driving for the kids to watch the overcab TV. My technician said that running the generator while in motion, and also running the rooftop AC, is cheaper than the running the cab AC. I've also been told that the worst thing you can do for a generator is not run them.

jeffpiercemagic 06-10-2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattRX (Post 187126)
My technician said that running the generator while in motion, and also running the rooftop AC, is cheaper than the running the cab AC.

Interesting, can anyone confirm this?

Jeff

Elite Washington 06-10-2019 07:34 PM

Basically besides me running it for 30 mins a month the only time it gets used is to run the tv and house AC while driving. I haven’t noticed getting worse mileage running it. The gen only uses about half a gallon per hour. Having an inverter would be nice but when you are out west you basically have to use the house AC while driving

Alaskantinbender 08-19-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Does it effect anything else? or just the power cut out with the truck on.
Any chance of a picture? They are worth a thousand words you know...:-)