Thor Forums

Thor Forums (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Maintenance and Repair (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Fresh water tank (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/fresh-water-tank-18775.html)

Sylvia0315 08-22-2019 02:14 AM

Fresh water tank
 
Ok..our RV fresh water tank is about (maybe) 1/2 full & has been for about a year. We're currently RVing, hooked everything us a usual. When we woke the next morning, the fresh water inlet on thr outside was leaking! I opened it & realized that the tank was full. Checked inside.. and yes, the fresh water reservoir was to the top. Any idea's how this happened?
Thanks in advance!

16ACE27 08-22-2019 02:34 AM

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...ank-18770.html

cavie 08-22-2019 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sylvia0315 (Post 199096)
Ok..our RV fresh water tank is about (maybe) 1/2 full & has been for about a year. We're currently RVing, hooked everything us a usual. When we woke the next morning, the fresh water inlet on thr outside was leaking! I opened it & realized that the tank was full. Checked inside.. and yes, the fresh water reservoir was to the top. Any idea's how this happened?
Thanks in advance!

check valve in the pump is stuck open.

The Gritz Carlton 08-22-2019 02:22 PM

It's probably a blessing in disguise. That's way to long for fresh water to sit. The dilution is a good thing...after you get the issue resolved. Keep fresh water fresh...you never know when you will have to call on it, as in CG water system failure, breakdown on the road or Armageddon. The check valve as mentioned isn't difficult to fix.

Bob Denman 08-22-2019 02:36 PM

YOur check-valve stuck open (As cavie suggested), and I agree with Gritz: it was probably a good thing that it did... :thumb:

Sylvia0315 08-22-2019 08:40 PM

Thank you for the help! Greatly appreciated! We'll check the "check valve"!
We usually have full hook ups when we RV & usually (thus far) have only done beach trips but we have done a trip is 1,000 mi rt.
So should I drain the fresh water after every RV trip? I've heard not to fill fresh water full as that can be unnecessary weight. We live in Ca & if the fresh water tank is dry, will it crack? Sorry for all the questions & thanks for your advice! [emoji4]

The Gritz Carlton 08-22-2019 09:28 PM

how much you carry in that tank is up to you. I keep mine full...you never know.

cavie 08-22-2019 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sylvia0315 (Post 199191)
Thank you for the help! Greatly appreciated! We'll check the "check valve"!
We usually have full hook ups when we RV & usually (thus far) have only done beach trips but we have done a trip is 1,000 mi rt.
So should I drain the fresh water after every RV trip? I've heard not to fill fresh water full as that can be unnecessary weight. We live in Ca & if the fresh water tank is dry, will it crack? Sorry for all the questions & thanks for your advice! [emoji4]

Drain the old water out sanitize the tank with bleach. You'll need to do a search for the amount of bleach to a tank of water. Flush all your lines while your at it.

The pump is easy to dismantle and clean. You can also buy a rebuild kit on Amazon. If you don't want to be bothered with doing that again, install an inline check valve in front of the pump. No need to keep it full because of the weight but 1/2 would be good. Tank will not crack if empty. Fill it when you get to camp incase the park water goes down. Then you can sell it. :thumb:

Bob Denman 08-22-2019 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton (Post 199195)
how much you carry in that tank is up to you. I keep mine full...you never know.

We've always hooked up to City water, so our tank has never seen a drop of the wet stuff...
I should probably give the tank a sniff test, and see what's growing in it... :eek:


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2