Thor Forums

Thor Forums (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing | Hitches and Toads (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Adding trailer brake to Axis on E450 chassis (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f9/adding-trailer-brake-axis-e450-chassis-3944.html)

muleshoeracer 05-16-2016 05:42 PM

Adding trailer brake to Axis on E450 chassis

Need suggestions. I want to add a trailer brake controller to my 2016 Axis 25.2 which is on an E450 chassis.

What models are available and are any of them designed to plug directly into the chassis harness in the cockpit?

I see several thoughts on the forum but want specifics to pursue related to my model - all help and suggestions appreciated!

Phil Saran 05-16-2016 05:51 PM

The best advice I can give you is pay to have a shop install it.
Last time I had it done it cost about $50 in labor.

JamieGeek 05-16-2016 06:12 PM

I had my dealer do it when we purchased the unit. The plug wiring was all messed up.

muleshoeracer 05-16-2016 06:40 PM

Trailer Brakes

I had read that some of these models had a harness already available in the cockpit.

I can wire one in but I was hoping that this chassis would be one of the ones that already had a plug sourced under the dash somewhere.

Anyone know?

JamieGeek 05-16-2016 06:45 PM

I don't think it does, and I don't think the brake line is wired to the 7-wire plug in the back.

dstankov 05-16-2016 06:54 PM

It was not an Axis or Thor for that matter, however, my class c was an E450 and it came from ford with a brake controller harness installed. It was accessible by removing the coin holder located at the top center part of the dash slightly left of the radio. This was with the standard E450 dash so again not sure about the Axis.

muleshoeracer 05-16-2016 06:55 PM

Trailer controller

Bummer - running the line to the plug isn't bad but finding the signal off the brake can be a pain. Particularly if you are a big fellow and don't like standing on your head under the dash.

muleshoeracer 05-16-2016 06:58 PM

Hopeful

Dave,

I hope so - I figure if it is there I can find it and even if I have to run the line to the back it is a better solution than splicing into other wires.

And thank you for your service!

bevedfelker 05-16-2016 07:54 PM

I asked this question to Thor Customer Service about my 2015 Vegas 24.1. There is NO wire harness and plug tucked away under the dash for a brake controller.

They told me the 7-way plug next to the receiver on the rear is wired for tail lights and brakes. I don't know if the 12 VDC to pin 4 is wired. They told me the blue wire for the brake controller is wired to the 7-way and is capped off near the fuel tank.

I'd have to wire the power, ground, and blue wire under the dash and run the blue wire up to the connector for the brake controller.

I recommend you verify with Thor whether there is a brake controller connector wired and tucked under your dash for your specific VIN. I'd also go to my dealer and have them hook up a trailer simulator to verify what is wired and working on your 7-way. I know of two owners on this forum that wired their brake controller and had to redo the factory's wiring job on the 7-way because Thor did it wrong.