Thor Forums

Thor Forums (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Thor Owners Community Discussions (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/)
-   -   Preference or not for GPS/Navigation Class C (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/preference-not-gps-navigation-class-c-4239.html)

WillowRun 06-19-2016 05:39 PM

Preference or not for GPS/Navigation Class C
 
:confused: Ready now to purchase GPS/Navigation for the beast---soooo confusing--
get the Garmin 7 or a Trucker version or Rand Mcnally?? Any user preferences or ones to stay away from???

vkb 06-19-2016 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowRun (Post 37725)
:confused: Ready now to purchase GPS/Navigation for the beast---soooo confusing--
get the Garmin 7 or a Trucker version or Rand Mcnally?? Any user preferences or ones to stay away from???

We have used Garmin for about 20 yrs...and with present version which is several years old..we received lifetime upgrade free. If you purchase a Garmin be sure to watch for the model which offers the free upgrade.

gbrown 06-19-2016 07:09 PM

I have the Garmin RV760 LMT. I love it. The LMT means lifetime maps and traffic. On a recent trip to Portland it advised me to take the trucker's lane bypassing the interchange. I kept wondering why until I saw the low overpass that it saved me from. You enter the height, weight, width, and GVWR and it will route you around any problems. The main difference between the DEZL (trucker's version) and the RV is the points of interest. The DEZL shows truck stops while the RV shows campgrounds, etc.

I keep it mounted on the curved section above the displays behind the wheel. It is a lot easier to see the readout on the GPS than glance down on the displays.

The only downside is that it shows truck speed limits, not auto speed limits. So it mostly shows 55 MPH on the freeways, not the 65 or 70 MPH that a 2 axle truck is allowed to go. But the DEZL will show the same. It is a minor inconvenience. I have requested that Garmin fix this on the next update.

TyCreek 06-19-2016 07:57 PM

I've had most key technology released Garmin GPS units from the early days and have tried others but always switched back to Garmin as my favorite device of the time. My current Garmin was state of the art years ago as a first voice command offering in large ultra thin format. Sadly it has recently lost voice capability so I'm now considering more RV specific choices and quite drawn to the Rand McNally's RV Tablet 80.

For the Garmin ... LM Lifetime Maps is a key choice that pays for itself in just one years update typically. I've not had much use for the T in LMT as I seldom travel in cities where Traffic is available (especially with RV).

Years ago I had a couple Magellan GPS units that didn't make me happy with so it's hard for me to give one of their current offerings another look.

gbrown 06-19-2016 08:26 PM

TyCreek, the Garmin RV 760LMT has voice commands!

WillowRun 06-19-2016 08:43 PM

Thanks guys---I keep seeing people downloading freebies...like waze and google maps and then a gas app and a camping app....this Garmin looks like it has it all! Do you need a hotsppot with you? Just a bluetooth phone connection??How does it set up- pretty easy????:eek:

TyCreek 06-19-2016 08:44 PM

Of course and most current choices do ;) like I mentioned, my current one was a first from years ago. Certainly the Garmin RV 760 series would be what I consider a low risk purchase based on my past Garmin experiences. Just wish it was Topo map compatible.

gbrown 06-19-2016 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowRun (Post 37737)
Thanks guys---I keep seeing people downloading freebies...like waze and google maps and then a gas app and a camping app....this Garmin looks like it has it all! Do you need a hotsppot with you? Just a bluetooth phone connection??How does it set up- pretty easy????:eek:

It is self contained. In use, notrhing else is needed. You do need to connect it to your computer occaisionally to get map updates.The live traffic updates come over a FM sideband. The power cable has an antenna built into it.

To setup, you just put your dimensions and weight into the unit. That is the only thing needed.

WillowRun 06-19-2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbrown (Post 37742)
It is self contained. In use, notrhing else is needed. You do need to connect it to your computer occaisionally to get map updates.The live traffic updates come over a FM sideband. The power cable has an antenna built into it.

To setup, you just put your dimensions and weight into the unit. That is the only thing needed.


WOW!!! Guess this is the next biggie on our list then...sounds great!!!:bow:

Davet911 06-20-2016 12:52 AM

We have the Garmin RV 760LMT and use it in the MH and both cars. Have always been happy with it in about 2 yrs of use.

DocMike 06-20-2016 01:03 AM

We have been with Garmin four years now, really enjoy the Voice Command option.

Last month or so I downloaded a Garmin program for the computer called BaseCamp. It looks quite interesting but I have not had a chance to sit down and work with it. Maybe others on the Forum have had some experience.

We use Waze to help break up the drive, getting to report cars on the side of the road, stuff in the road and warnings.

Doc

bigben 06-20-2016 01:18 AM

We've used the Rand McNally RVND 7730. Easy to use, accepts trips planned with Good Sams Trip, has lots features that mentioned above, use it to easily track gas usage, maintenance records and great for giving lane guidance.

We've used ours about 18 months

mcr1010 06-20-2016 01:54 AM

You may find the POI factory here; POI Files for United States & Elsewhere | POI Factory to be useful. There are a ton of Points of Interests which are open source and seem to be up to date. Some of my favorites are roadside and offbeat attractions, National park and state park campgrounds as well as COE campgrounds. And one I use a lot is Passport America.

EA37TS 06-20-2016 12:28 PM

Like BigBen I also use the Rand Mcnally RVND7730. I agree with his comments that it is easy to use and it has the best lane guidance of any GPS I have used in the past.

Bob Montgomery 06-20-2016 04:06 PM

Garmin RV760 LMT... We love this GPS.:thumb:

jpmihalk 06-20-2016 05:08 PM

I use CoPilot RV on my iPhone and iPad. It allows me to set height, weight and length restrictions and also import POI data, plus has an add on for live traffic updates.

gbrown 06-20-2016 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmihalk (Post 37796)
I use CoPilot RV on my iPhone and iPad. It allows me to set height, weight and length restrictions and also import POI data, plus has an add on for live traffic updates.

Do you know if CoPilot RV is Apple Carplay compatible?

Updating my question. I checked. It can not be used with Carplay. So I would rather use the Garmin.

vkb 06-20-2016 10:00 PM

As I stated earlier, we use Garmin...ours offers Hazel & Jack voices .. we named them...I DO like to lean on Google maps on my phone occasionally.

K

scrubjaysnest 06-20-2016 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocMike (Post 37758)
We have been with Garmin four years now, really enjoy the Voice Command option.

Last month or so I downloaded a Garmin program for the computer called BaseCamp. It looks quite interesting but I have not had a chance to sit down and work with it. Maybe others on the Forum have had some experience.

We use Waze to help break up the drive, getting to report cars on the side of the road, stuff in the road and warnings.

Doc

We use Garmins and have for years; also use Garmin Mapsource as I've never liked working with base camp. Base Camp is more geared for the runner/biking set.

schreinertms 06-21-2016 01:26 AM

Have had good success with the Magellan RoadMate RV9165T-LM. Nice big screen, lifetime maps and quick response.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2