Thor Forums

Thor Forums (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/)
-   Thor RV Lifestyle (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f28/)
-   -   Stuff in the Fridge (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f28/stuff-fridge-9344.html)

mlhamm 09-21-2017 03:16 AM

Stuff in the Fridge

We're wondering how to keep stuff in the fridge from moving around while we're driving. Really don't want to stop, open the fridge, and have things falling out on me.

Thanks

ComputerChips 09-21-2017 06:02 AM

How about some plastic trays or even cardboard drink cartons or similar organizational concepts?

JamieGeek 09-21-2017 10:02 AM

You can get some tension bars (Amazon) to hold things in place.

SuperD 09-21-2017 10:16 AM

I use adjustable spring loaded curtain rods from WalMart, use them in cabinets too.

MiramarVA 09-21-2017 11:02 AM

Amazon has all sorts of ways to keep things in place. Just search RV Refrigerator Accessories.

gmc 09-21-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieGeek (Post 89419)
You can get some tension bars (Amazon) to hold things in place.

Yep...spring loaded bars work well... Singles for the shorter shelves, and these doubles for taller shelf: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44093-D...dp/B0006IX7X8/

Joe-FL 09-21-2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlhamm (Post 89412)
We're wondering how to keep stuff in the fridge from moving around while we're driving. Really don't want to stop, open the fridge, and have things falling out on me.

Thanks

Since having fivers we have always modified how we load the fridge. Just like above we use cartons that cans come in, simply lay them flat and cut the top out. We lay down any water bottles or put them in the lower drawers. Generally we travel with 1/2 gallons of milk instead of 1 gallon containers, etc. Now we rarely open the door and have anything fall out.

nosticks 09-21-2017 12:25 PM

Same as SUPERD, spring loaded wally world curtain rods. Use in refers and cabinets.

blw2 09-21-2017 03:10 PM

we have a little basket for small stuff, but generally don't go out of our way to do anything special really. Just be mindful of how things are loaded in...lay something down rather than stand it up if it looks like it will fall...or wedge it between something.... that kind of thing. Haven't had many issues. Really no big deal.

Bob Denman 09-21-2017 03:31 PM

Lump stuff together with either rubber bands, or small elastic cords...
There's strength and safety in numbers! :D

Laco 09-21-2017 04:28 PM

You also use paper towel rolls as space fillers to pack things in place.

BradnKaren 09-21-2017 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also use the tension rods. With our new RV having a residential fridge with glass shelves, I was concerned about stuff sliding around or falling over, so I cut grippy shelf liner to fit each shelf. Nothing budges, even on a less than full shelf. It's easily washable and has antimicrobial protection.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-Bran...4025#read-more

vkb 09-21-2017 08:24 PM

We put water bottles in door and cans of soda ...load the bottom drawer with as much as it will hold and use those inexpensive square plastic baskets at Dollar Tree for some items and those handy cardboard boxes as well. It is just a matter of packing everything as tightly as possible...when we are on the tail end of a trip and fridge did not as packed...I have stuck a bath towel or two in there to hold stuff in place.
We, also, use those boxes and plastic baskets in our cabinets..

Bob Denman 09-21-2017 08:38 PM

:D How about making up a magnum-sized batch of Jell-O, and using it as packing material? :thumb:

gmc 09-21-2017 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Denman (Post 89513)
:D How about making up a magnum-sized batch of Jell-O, and using it as packing material? :thumb:

Only if you alter the liquid content to be something worth eating after you arrive - aka jello shots! :angel:

Bob Denman 09-21-2017 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll Drink To That.jpg

bigben 09-22-2017 12:59 AM

We've tried a number of things but wind up going back to plastic storage bins similar to these at Camping World. Forma Cabinet Binz, 16" x 9.5" x 5.25" - Interdesign 69515 - Storage Baskets and Trashcans - Camping World. We milk, creamer, condiments, etc on doors. Then water and such in these on 2 shelves. DW likes to throw out cold adult beverage boxes but I keep getting them back.

mlhamm 09-22-2017 05:01 AM

Thanks for all the good ideas; especially the jello idea!!!!!!!

We had some of the same ideas but wanted to take advantage of your experience. At some point (soon I hope) we'll stop asking the questions and be providing the answers.

Thanks again and safe travels,
Maureen & Larry

Tupelo Kid 09-22-2017 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlhamm (Post 89412)

Thanks

Hi,
We picked up some small tension bars for this from Camping World and some from Wal-Mart in the RV section of the auto dept. They work great for us.

bigben 09-22-2017 12:02 PM

mlhamm - we went with baskets simply because we had quart of cranberry juice just about explode when it hit floor. This was a tragedy - no mixer for the vodka/cranberry juice cocktail.

PS: the baskets make putting more water in the fridge real easy.