Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 03:29 AM   #29
Whirnot

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
I agree with the writer that says: plug in to the shore power once a month and then leave the use/store switch in the store position otherwise. This is easier on the converter because it is on all of the time in use mode . If your 30A line somehow gets disconnected accidentally, your house batteries will discharge with any load (including the use/store relay) left on in your vehicle and intimately get damaged beyond recharging.
Lead acid batteries normally can hold a charge for months when not loaded even when several years old. I, personally, have left cars in my garage for a year without recharging ('66 Covrvette without modern electronics) and been able to start the engine without a problem (California climate).
The converter, or AC to DC switching regulator built into the RV, will probably fail after a few years of continuous operation.

I have a lot of experience with switching regulators being a design engineer in the Power Management field. The problem normally comes from electrolytic capacitors "drying out" under continuous use due to the high ripple current in switching regulator circuits. The components used are typically not of the highest quality or are used out of their specified ripple current ratings. ($$$$ cost considerations).

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum