Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: New to RVs
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 02:38 AM   #5
flyfishgrl

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
For the test drive/look over:
  • Have them extend and retract the slide make sure it moves smoothly and that all the gaskets don't show any wear (when the slide is in look at the inside gaskets, especially near the gear racks--sometimes the gasket grabs).
  • Have them lower and raise the front bunk: watch for smooth operation all the way down and back up. Make sure the bed stays level.
  • Listen for engine noise--some early Axis/Vegas models had less insulation in the doghouse and are extra noisy
  • Run the windshield washer (early models would blow the fuse) better for the dealer to find that out before you purchase! LOL
  • Have them pressurize the water system, run the sinks, shower, toilet. (If they let you..this is a good thing for the pre-delivery inspection)
  • Have them run the generator--Onan had a batch of bad fuel pumps on that generator model
  • Look at the fender skirts around all 4 wheels--some models have cracks and the skirting may be falling off
  • Remove some of the drawers and inspect the rails: On some units the rails were not fastened properly
  • Likewise check the closet damper and the overhead dampers (the screw was loose on ours and about to fall out)
  • If you are looking at a 24.1 check the bathroom door for cracks and check the doors top latch pin (especially at the top of the door--ours was cracked and they had to replace the bathroom door)
  • Take a look at the mudflap behind the passenger side rear wheel: On some units the flap hits the exhaust pipe and melts
These are a few off the top of my head. I hope I didn't scare you--its a great unit you just have to watch for a few quality issues.
JamieGeek, Thank you so much. This is so very helpful and I appreciate your feedback.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.