Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 02:34 AM   #6
axis earl

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomarsh View Post
Background- Previously we owned a 2002 32’ Class A Winnebago with two slides. Had to part with it after nine years because we moved. Last year we decided to buy another RV. We had Class C’s in mind. Then, we saw a Vegas at one of the RV shows and liked it. After visiting several dealers, looking at mostly C’s and shorter A’s, we found ourselves coming back to the 2017 Vegas/Axis models. Finally, months later, we decided to buy. A final look at available floor plan models led us to settle on the 25.3. (We favored the 24.1 except for the small shower) Time to buy. No local dealers had a 25.3 Vegas model in stock but we found an Axis 25.3. So far we have taken four trips and traveled over 4,000 miles.

Likes: Love the forward visibility through the large windshield and the cabin height above the road. The drop down bed over the cabin is fantastic. (Granddaughters love it!) The low entry step is great. Ditto, the 3 TVs, large dinette, and bedroom slide out. Love the rear view and lane change cameras. The convection microwave works like a champ. The quality of the fiberglass gel coat is very good and the beige color doesn’t show dirt. We really like the flush windows and the unique aero shape of the vehicle very much. Also, the relatively short 26’ length is easy to drive and park. We enjoy the two spacious wardrobe closets and the sliding privacy doors. The electric slide is much better than the old hydraulic drives (they leaked) Also, the toilet is far better than our older plastic Winnie potty was.

Areas of Improvement: Mostly quality control. We jokingly say the RV is held together by staples. Our dinette backs were very ill fitting and staples pulled out every time the cushions were removed. I’ve since used screws and realigned the fitment. Exterior locks are finicky. Wire bundles droop from under the dash cab and looked rather messy. More engine sound insulation would be appreciated. The grab handle and adjacent towel rack outside the shower pulled off the wall almost immediately. The generator is a bit noisy and does not have a pressure fed oil filter. We wish the shower had a folding door rather than a curtain. (Picky, I know) The bedroom slide out is a bit tight but quite functional. The radio mounted next to the bed is in an awkward place and its lights are way too bright. (I cover the lights at night)

Problems: I informed our dealer prior to purchase that there was a constant generator warning light on the instrument panel. Upon delivery, it was not fixed. We refused delivery. After a full month at the Ford dealer it was finally determined it was a Thor cable wiring problem. The problem was finally fixed and we took delivery. Since day one, filling the gas tank has been an ordeal. Had to let the gas just trickle in because gas pump nozzle was constantly shutting off as though the tank was full. Our authorized Thor repair facility found the gas vent hose was kinked. They had to drop the gas tank down to fix it. Works great now. Also, the same repair facility had to replace the entire heater unit under warranty. It had stopped working after using it only twice. Thor authorized the replacement.
Hopefully, no more problems will arise. We can’t wait to take our next trip!……and yes, we still love it.

Mods: Added a 110V outlet on the aisle side of the dinette. The one below the dinette bench cushion next to the wall is very hard to use. Added a power strip/USB to the wall above the dinette. Added a plug in oulet/USB to the 110V outlet below the passenger cup holder. Modified the cup holders to hold deeper containers and varying diameters. Created a handle (rather than the finger hole) to open the dinette bench easily for additional storage after replacing the particle board platform with plywood. I built a sizable magazine/book rack next to the passenger seat. The engine “dog house” got quite hot. I lined the inside with reflective insulation- that helped a lot. Currently adding an OBDII reader which displays engine function details and gas consumption on the smartphone. The Ford manual led me to believe all F- 450 chassis came equipped with an on board computer. Nope.
I am just wondering about your "on board computer... nope" comment. What computer aspect do you think you are missing?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.