Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Upgrading the Leaking Tail Lights - the Saga Continues.

I did my spring inspection of the RV the other day, and yep - the dang tail lights are leaking again, after all the work I did last fall to prevent it from happening.

I am so disgusted with this.

I did buy some replacements last year, but I have been hesitant to install them as I have to do some cutting to enlarge the holes the lights fit in. The replacement lights are almost identically the same width, height, and depth, but they require a slightly larger hole to fit.

Here is the before photo:

And here is the after photo:

A couple of issues I had, is that the wiring color code is all wrong. There are three sets of wire colors; Green, Black, and White.

Green = turn signal/brake
Black = tail light
White = Ground

I did verify this by metering the wires after I cut them.

However, silly me... I assumed that the green wire on the lights would go to the green wire on the RV, Black-to-Black, etc.

But not so.

When I wired it that way, the Tail and Brake/Turn Signal lights were backwards, meaning the Tail Lights were the bright element of the bulbs, and the Brake/Turn Signal was on the dim element. This means with the headlights on, you could not see the blinking or braking as the bright element on the tail lights masked the dim blinking lights.

So either the old light manufacturer, new light manufacturer, or Thor messed up big-time in wiring the lights up as someone reversed the color codes of the wires.

So I made a note to myself:

Today I am going to do the right-side light. This one will be a bit more difficult as I have to work around the ladder. I used a router to make the hole bigger on the left side, but I don't have sufficient room on the right side to do so. But I think my multi-tool will work.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum