Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 10:51 PM   #13
Jbird_in_SC

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #5052
2017 Challenger RVLock Keyless Class C/A Entry Door Handle Installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Thanks, I’ll be very interested in your experience!
Well, it took me a while to find an open weekend to try and install this, but it's done. Here is the quick summary sharing my findings with a few pictures in the hope this help others. Now that I know the correct steps and if the below steps work for others, I estimate this install would likely take 60-90 minutes.

After removing the original Trimark door lock (because of the common problem of the broken plunger), remove the "spacers" if you have any installed as I needed to use one on the new lock (see pictures). I used a pair of Vice-Grips to remove the posts to get to the spacers (see picture).

Next, I'd recommend trying to install the new lock without tighten everything completely. This will help determine if you'll have the same issue I had which was the posts on the new lock did not extend far enough to fit/align with the strikeplate in the door-frame. Maybe you'll be lucky and it will fit right out of the box. If so, skip to the screen door modification. If not, remove the posts from RVLock.

With the posts removed from the new RVLock, put the new lock into position in the door and partially tighten the interior side three screws. Next, align the RVLock and add one spacer to the outside frame of the door, then insert and tighten the two small screws (see picture). Screw in the posts until they're flush with the spacer (see picture). Gently close the door to see if the posts, door latch and deadbolt align. Hopefully everything aligns and you can tighten the three screws on the interior side.

The next step is to mark on the screen door where the installed RVlock now hits against the screen door. Once marked, I used a Dremel tool to cut/shave/sand the metal to allow the RVLock interior handle to close properly. Hopefully, you're more accurate with a Dremel tool than me. I plan to use black paint on the modified screen door to help blend in.

Once installed, I used a clear silicon sealant around the new door handle.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180210_RVLOCK_RemovePosts.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	9002   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180210_RVLOCK_Plate.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	9003  

Name:	20180210_RVLOCK_PlateAlt.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	9004   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180210_RVLOCK_PlateAlt1.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	9005  

Name:	20180210_RVLOCK_ScreenModify1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	9006   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180210_RVLOCK_ScreenModify2.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	9007  

Name:	20180210_RVLOCK_InstalledEXT1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	9008  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.