Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #129
dadepfan

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Washington
THOR #10643
Unhappy Various Problems With My 2016 Gemini 23TR

Hi again! I posted above about winterizing the on-demand water heater. I've browsed through this thread and thought I would list the problems, big and small, I've had on my coach. Keep in mind that, although my 2016 23TR is out of warranty, it still has less than 7K miles on it!
  • Bad valve on water heater, replaced by manufacturer
  • Mirror bracket fell off the windshield
  • One window awning in the bedroom fell off
  • Both USB stations died and had to be replaced
  • Wide tape over wiring harness under the bedroom fell off
  • One corner of the skylight shroud came unattached
  • Refrig door panel warped, and I had to re-glue
  • Three different slats under the bed matress broke in the center and had to be replaced
  • Ford had recall on the Transit engine fuel injection pump
  • Prongs on the dump cap broke, had to be replaced

These were all annoying, and in some cases cost me a little money, but the biggest problem I have had was with the awning. On a dirt road going to a campground, I brushed some overhanging tree branches on the passenger side. I was going very slow and barely heard the branches. When we got to the campground, I looked at the awning, and the large black plastic cap at the front was missing, and the one at the back was sticking straight out instead of covering the end of the awning. I put the back cap back in place, but the awning would not extend more than a few inches. So I left it alone.

On the way out from the campground, I found the other awning cap, and when I got home, I tried to put it back on, but I was unable to do this. The awning would still not extend more than a few inches, so I tried to unroll it manually while my wife was pressing the extend switch. This worked for a few inches, but then the entire awning promptly collapsed into several pieces! The metal areas under these end caps look like pot metal and do not seem very strong at all. I ended up having my insurance replace the entire awning ($500 deductible). More recently I noticed the front cap of the new awning was missing again, and I do not remember brushing any tree limbs this time (I am VERY careful of that since the first incident!). So I had the cap replaced again.

Also, this new awning seems to be more tilted (helps with water runoff?) than the original one was - it is quite noticeable.

Anyone else have problems with these delicate awnings?

Thanks,
Dave

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum