Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 01:53 AM   #8
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
That could be the difference between your F53 chassis and my E-350 chassis. Our pillars seem to be about even with the radiator.
My pillars are about 6 to 12 inches behind the headlights and sit about midway between the headlights and leading edge of the front tires and in line with the coach battery. To put that in perspective my radiator is about 18 to 24 inches away from the front grill. I can actually climb inside and somewhat stand inside the front clip between the grill and radiator.

I believe any sound coming through my A pillars would be tire or road whine more than engine noise.

Another difference I believe is that only the top one or two inches of the engine protrudes through the floor in my coach. As you can see from the attached photo even the valve covers are below the level of the floor. I believe they could cut my doghouse in half (height) and still clear the top of the engine. This could be why my initial sound level readings seem to be lower than what others have experienced and why the Challenger seems to be a quieter ride than other coach models. I do believe however, there is room for improvement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine compartment.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	424

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Another thought: Find someone with an older Class A Thor built on the same chassis--Thor has been doing this for a while. They may have some insight...
Thanks for the suggestion. There is an individual who is a member of one of my FMCA chapters that buys restores/remodels and sells used motorhomes for a hobby/second income. He winters in Florida but his shop is at the other end of my county so I may give him a call or visit and see what he has found in the past. He has dealt with everything from the smallest class Cs to the largest diesel pushers so he may have some suggestions or "best practices".
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.