Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 11:38 AM   #10
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Your engine is much more exposed than ours is. Ours appears further forward:

The front "hood" on the Axis/Vegas units pretty much touches the radiator:

A big difference between the larger F53 units and our smaller E350 units.

Another difference: Sitting in the driver's seat you are pretty much sitting on top of the front wheel. In the Axis/Vegas units we are behind the front wheel.

I'm sure both of those differences changes the noise a bit, for example: since our engine is further forward it may not make as much sense for us to insulate the floor from noise.
Yeah, when I'm driving down the road I can access the control panel for my leveling jacks easier than I can reach the controls for heat and AC. Sitting in the drivers seat at full arm extension my finger tip are a good 12 inches from reaching the heater controls. I am 5 foot 11 tall and wear 34 inch shirt sleeves.

One of the major differences I immediately see is the majority of noise making engine components (e.g. valve train, exhaust manifolds, etc... are level with or higher than your floor and are contained/confined within the doghouse. In my coach all of these areas are lower than the floor and as you stated why it may be more beneficial for me to sound deaden the underside of the floor pans than it would be for you.

A suggestion for you to consider, in you engine compartment the flat panel that runs from side to side and has the air ducting attached, just from looking at the picture I can see where, if that is below your dash panel, you may get a transference of vibration or wind related noise going inside the cab. It's hard to tell from the picture but I'd look for hard mounting points between that panel and the interior surfaces and if I found any I'd use some sound deadening material to cut the vibration. In my house, I learned this trick when re-mounting a garage door opener where there was a bedroom above the garage. The addition of a rubber seal between the mounting bracket and the ceiling and some rubber washers for the lag bolts allowed my daughter to sleep through me going to work at 5:30 every morning and allowed me to park the car in the garage on weeknights. In that case the noise of the garage door opener was transferred to the room above through the vibration of the mount on the ceiling and lag bolts in the joints (garage ceiling joists were the bedroom floor joists.

In the case of my doghouse I expect to gain additional benefit from tackling vibration as well as reducing engine noise. Not only am I going to add insulation to the interior of the doghouse but I am going to tackle where the doghouse mounts to the coach (in my case 4 screws) and the surface area where the doghouse comes in contact with the floor. I believe that will reduce the vibration related noise of the doghouse itself and reduce rattling of things thrown in the tray and cup holders on top of the doghouse.

As a side note, another area I plan to tackle are the mounting points for the converter/charger and the inverter. I noticed fan related noise from these components and since they are outside I believe the noise is being transferred inside from vibration on or around the mounting points. By tackling these two items maybe (operative word) I can increase the noise level comfort while parked as well as while driving (primarily the inverter). My inverter is right below the drivers seat.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.