Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 04:07 PM   #18
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
They probably filled every tank to capacity, drove with the awning deployed, and pulled a toad

A higher compression ratio may be a thing of the past if Mazda has anything to say about it.

I agree with everyone here: Kind of disingenuous comparing the ranges when one coach carries 20 more gallons of fuel.

Higher compression ratio can certainly improve fuel economy, which is why everyone has been trying to do that for so long. What I'm really curious about is how "state-of-the-art" the new V8 that replaces the V10 will be.

If we look at the very newest Ford naturally-aspirated engines tuned for pickups (the F-150s), they have 12:1 compression ratio, which is way higher than the 9.2:1 of the V10. They also have 4-valve DOHC, variable valve timing, direct injection plus port injection, and so on. All this yields 80 lb-ft of torque per liter, and a lot of HP per liter too.

Assuming the new V8 is indeed 7.3 liters as expected, if Ford uses the same technology, the engine could end up with over 550 lb-ft of torque, and 450~500 HP, depending on how conservative they want to play it for heavy truck use. I suppose Ford could tune it way down so it doesn't compete with their own Power Stroke diesels.

When introduced in SuperDuty pickups, the new V8 is also expected to have a 10-speed heavier-duty transmission (10R140), which should eventually help close the performance gap between diesel and gas RVs. I think Cummins may be a little worried.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum