Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 08:02 PM   #39
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Winnebago Travato offers Volta 48-Volt electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
The thing I find interesting is although they claim the system is good for RV applications they do not mention a single manufacturer that has placed the system in use; not even a high end multi million dollar coach.

.....cut.....

To me, and this is only my opinion, the system is still 5 to 10 years from being readily available for application on an RV the average schmuck like me is willing to purchase.

.....cut.....
Technology moving faster than expected?

Not to pick on Dave's estimate (just using as example), but it took less than 2 years for Advance RV to start using the Volta 48-Volt system on their Class Bs, and now Winnebago just announced the Volta system will be available in the Travato Class B line, making it the first high-volume manufacturer to offer the Volta system as far as I know. Hymer and Coachmen (using Xantrex) have also replaced the conventional generator, but stayed with 12-Volts which I think is a mistake.

The Travato system has 3,600 Watt (30-Amp) inverter, 8,700 watt-hour of lithium battery pack, and an engine-driven 58-Volt alternator that is reportedly twice as powerful as the competition's. I presume they are comparing to 280 Amps X 14 Volts, so alternator is probably in the range of +/- 8,000 watts (wild educated guess). With proper duty cycle the battery bank should be recharged in approximately +/- 1 hour.

We're getting very close -- price is still a little high but should come down with volume.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.