Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #23
reisingerd

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Maryland
THOR #6576
2014 Vegas 24.1: FIRE HAZARD Burnt, Melted, Wire Nuts in Junction Near Generator

As spring approached last week, I decided to exercise the generator on my 2014 Thor Vegas 24.1. I parked it in my driveway, not connected to shore power.

I started the generator and let it run for about ten minutes. To put a load on it, I turned on the air conditioner (AC). It ran for about ten minutes when the AC suddenly stopped working. I also noticed that the digital display on the microwave was not on, an indication that the AC wasn’t the only appliance that wasn’t getting alternating current power, despite the generator running.

I checked the breaker beneath the refrigerator and on the generator, neither of which tripped. I recycled the breakers, which also didn’t remedy the issue. After spending a couple of hours trying to diagnose the problem, I gave up and resigned myself to the fact that I needed professional help to diagnose the problem. I had to take it in for an oil change anyway, so I asked my mechanic to diagnose the issue.

Two hours of labor later, at the cost of $190, my mechanic identified the probable cause. There is an electrical junction box, underneath the RV; just forward of the generator. Opening it revealed burnt, melted plastic wire nuts, electrical tape, and wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4041.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	9446   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4043.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	9447  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4044.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	9448   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4045.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	9449  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.