Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #7
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post

....cut....

As a side note... I'm an aviation buff and private pilot.... and a mechanical engineer by schooling. Back in college I did a research paper on vortex generators used in general aviation. Specifically micro VG's (https://microaero.com/). definitely an interest of mine.....

Interesting that in FAQ section, it states tabs do not affect top speed, other than a 1% reduction at full throttle at 12,000 ft.

In order for a motorhome to improve fuel economy from 7 to 8 MPG, everything else being equal, the aerodynamic drag would have to be lowered by something like 20% or more. If that were the case (for a motorhome that is), the top speed would definerely go up considerably.

Not suggesting to do a MH top speed test to confirm effect of tabs, but airplane data suggest to me that either MH fuel-economy data isn’t accurate, or that the technology isn’t comparable between airplanes and motorhomes in a significant manner.

A 20% or greater Cd reduction would be nice, but I would think that if it were that easy, every truck on the road would already have them.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.