Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #7
Rocky49

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
State: Alberta
THOR #7302
Ceiling Repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
I don't have help for your question, but the picture you posted where the old light fixture was removed shows something that drives me crazy in my 27K Windsport...

Notice where the rounded corners of the old light fixture left the vinyl ceiling with a crease, where they vinyl is sagging below whatever it was glued to? I see this on my ceiling next to anything screwed into it, like the A/C vents, skylight, and light fixtures for example. It's not a new symptom; been like this from the first day.

I have thought about injecting some glue into these areas with a needle but seems like I'd have to apply pressure to hold the vinyl tight against the ceiling while it's drying. A lot of work, and not sure if it would work anyway.

Sorry to go slightly off-topic.
yes the issue is the ceiling is bonded with layers of materials and glue, then run through a hot press with lots of tensioned rollers. So if insufficient glue is applied or the rollers were out of tension then the completed bonded product is crap. Sometime the reason stuff de-bonds or de laminates is an excessively hot environment and then the glue gets fluid again and the topmost layer or topmost layers start to peel off where they are not held tightly into position. That is why early on all RVs were white, it kept the internal temps down. Dark colored RVs, think the horrid current color choices that are very much chocolate colored, they acquire and retain heat like mad, in a sunny hot environment like Florida, Texas, Arizona, CA to mention a few these oven like conditions when stored can melt the glues holding the ceiling together.

Another issue is similar to the water freeze thaw cycle that can break up concrete or asphalt and cause potholes. Only in an rv a water leak gets water between the layers, freezing causes expansion and shearing of the bond join and then the layer drops off or is loose. The water evaporates and you are left with a sagging ceiling or wall.

These are the causes of the problem. Not sure what the correct repair is. My expertise is with airplanes and we usually just end up peeling of the top layer, cleaning the surface with a solvent, and then reapplying a bonding agent,, attaching the top layers and applying heat and pressing it all together.

Rocky

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.