Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
Jim Jacobs

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: Virginia
THOR #9819
Enlarged dining room table

My wife and I travel in our 2012 Thor ACE 29.2 for business so we're constantly using computers. When we both want to use one, especially if we have an additional monitor, the dining table which came with the ACE, at 26" x 39" wasn't large enough.

We bought a piece of red oak plywood at Home Depot and had them rip it to 32" x 52" which seemed to be about as large as we could go and still fit. The young man using the saw didn't know that one side clean cuts, while the other splinters the surface, so he damaged the good side. Fortunately the plywood is finished on both sides and the second side was quite good.

I also used some red oak veneer tape to finish the edges. It has glue on it and using an iron set to "cotton" goes on quite nicely. A sharp knife and sanding paper removes the excess.

I used several coats of clear polyurethane, and rounded the outer edges so we can get into our seats more easily. I also used a couple of small angle irons under the table to screw it to the wall so it doesn't squeak going down the road. I used the original table legs and mounting hardware.

We took out the original seat backs, including the one along the wall, and my wife is making new seat back cushions which are thinner, yet supportive. When done, I'll update the photos.

All together the cost was about $90, with $50 of that being the plywood.

It's not as hard and smooth as a laminate surface, but works for our needs and was easy to do.

Now we can eat while working and we both have enough space for our computers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	original table.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	288.7 KB
ID:	9786   Click image for larger version

Name:	new table.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	9787  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum