Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 09:03 PM   #4
thutchis

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Phase 1: Dinette Lighting

The cabinet over our dinette had an "ugly light" mounted underneath in the center. Some folks on here have replaced it with a nicer looking fixture like DCBenny did on his coach.

I decided I wanted better and nicer lighting I could dim, so I purchased two of these recessed LED puck lights from Amazon along with an American Technology Components dimmer switch to control them.

First step was to lift up the floor of the cabinet and see what lay underneath. I was able to carefully pry up the thin luan panel and peek underneath. Sure enough there was quite a bit of wiring under there. Luckily it lay toward the outside wall and out of harms way when I cut the opening for the lights and enlarged the hole for the dimmer.

Next I laid out the locations for the lights. I use blue tape to mark out the openings and protect the adjoining cabinet "wood".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Phase1_1-1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	9865

Using a Rotozip tool I cut out the 3.5" hole for the lights. A Dremel Multi-Tool with a Wood Flush Cut Blade makes cutting nice square holes a piece of cake.

Name:	Phase1_1-2.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	9866

With the lights and dimmer installed all that's left is to fill the screw holes left behind by the ugly light installation. This is turning out to be the most difficult part of the job. I have a cherry wood furniture crayon, but they are still noticible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Phase1_1-3.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	9867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Phase1_1-4.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	9868  

2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum