Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporte77 View Post
Did you ever find a hitch greater than 5000 lbs?

I called Thor today & they refused to give me a Reese - or other brand - part number of the new 8000 lb hitch that was simply "re-stickered" from 5000 to 8000 lbs.

The parts lady acted like she was from Mars and as if I were speaking a different language. Very rude. The GCVWR is 7500 lbs over the GVW. Hence - I could tow a 7500 trailer. She just didn't want to help.
One Thor parts guy I spoke with on the phone previously - gave me some cequent part numbers. But when I searched them ~ they didn't exist.

My boat weighs 6000# & tongue weight is 400 lbs. just want to be legal on paper.
Anyone got the answer?

Thanks,
Sam
First, when Forest River made a change to the hitch on their Class C line the hitch itself was changed and it was not simply "restickered" from 5K to 7500 pounds. The manufacturer of the hitch made changes to the way the safety chain loops were welded to the hitch thereby allowing the towing capacity to be increased.

Second, the hitch used by an RV manufacturer must be built to mount on the frame rail extensions installed by their vendor and a new hitch for the Thor Class C line may not have been designed to date. Since Thor does not install a 7500 lb hitch on their Class C motorhomes and the 8000 lb was only installed on the Class A (F53 chassis) they may not have a part number to give you.

Although my Challenger came with an 8000 lb hitch, it can still only tow 4000 lbs (GCWR 26000 - GVRW 22000 = 4000) unless I borrow weight capacity from the coach. This point was made perfectly clear by the Thor Regional Sales rep when I asked before buying the coach. This tells me that the hitch used for the F53 was redesigned rather than a change made to towing capacity.

With that said, the hitch manufacturer for Forest River was Buyers Products. They have a 7500 hitch that may or may not work for the frame rails on your coach.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.