Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #14
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Based on Jamie's reply I would like to also make a couple of comments.

When I first started looking into towing a few years ago I considered trailer, flat, and dolly. Although I am not as eco friendly, my vehicle fleet at the time consisted of 4 Fords. I had 3 Fusions and a Flex and all are front wheel drive. I am now down to 1 Fusion and a Flex.

At the time to outfit any one of the vehicles with base plate, tow bar, accessory kit and supplemental braking would have set me back around 3K plus tax and installation charges. That would enable me to tow one of the two vehicles.

My Master Tow 80THDSB with surge brakes and spare tire (with mount) cost me 1299.00 plus tax (no installation or assembly required). Without the spare tire and mount the cost was 1199.00. I purchased it from the RV dealer where I bought my last coach.

Storage of the dolly for me is no problem. My house sits on 2.5 acres of land which is zoned agriculture so space for storage of the coach or dolly is not an issue.

Ease of use for me is not an issue. I rally with a couple of FMCA chapters and we are getting ready to depart I can have my car on the dolly and be rolling down the road before some folks have there tow bars and braking systems setup for towing.

With that said, there have been 2 occasions when flat towing would have been easier. The first was in Crossville, TN at a campground that had back in sites only. I had to disconnect my car and dolly before backing into the site. Took less than 5 minutes. The second was Disney world and the same situation applied. Again it took 5 minutes.

Now with that said I do currently have an issue. With the 252 inch wheelbase of the Challenger, I believe the entrance to my driveway is too narrow for entering or exiting with the car on the dolly. The wheelbase on my prior coach was only 202 inches to turning radius was not a problem. Would this be an issue if I was flat towing? I honestly don't know. This coming week I will have my driveway entrance widened by 8 feet at a cost of 468.00. Even with this expense I am still below $2,000.

If you are concerned about the ride of the coach towing a dolly I highly recommend a set of rear air springs. They came as a standard feature on my SunSeeker and whenever I towed the dolly I went from 70 to 75 PSI in the springs and I never noticed the dolly unless I monitored the rear view camera. Air Springs are the only chassis item I have on my list of mods for Challenger.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum