Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #17
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Good points Dave.

I didn't mention backing up: You are correct: To back up with a dolly and a 4-down toad you have to disconnect the car. So far with only 400 miles under our belt towing the car I haven't had to do so and I really don't expect to need to do so given how maneuverable the Axis is (25ft + 20 ft car+dolly is easier to steer around stuff than Daves 37ft + 20ft car).

At the campground I store the dolly just like I do in the lot: backed up underneath the rear of the Axis:
So far I have not put myself in a situation where I have had to backup other than the 2 back in sites at the campgrounds (and that was with my 31 foot Class C). At the campgrounds if I have a pull thru site I unload the car, keep the dolly connected to the coach and level it out. When I leave the campground I retract the jacks then load the car on the dolly.

From my experience I would say that in the two "back in" situations I experienced a trailer would have been a royal PITA. Those two sites would not have accommodated my Class C and a trailer long enough to haul a car. In both sites the car had to be parked perpendicular to the coach or it would have stuck out into the road. In fact at Disney World, when you enter Fort Wilderness there is a parking lot that is full of trailers that folks have disconnected before continuing on to their site.

Think about this, trailer with car on board approaching a back in site. Questions to answer:
1. Where does the trailer get parked?
2. Where does the car get parked?
3. Do I unload the car before parking the trailer?
4. How much crap is loaded around the car that has to be moved before the car can be unloaded? I saw one in this category that fit "Ripley's Believe or Not" at a campground in Wytheville, VA last July 4th weekend.

You can probably see where this is going and it is Friday afternoon and time for the brain to start slowing down for the weekend.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum