Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 03:50 AM   #15
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
My first significant motorhome experience was about 20 years ago in a rented Thor Class C, and sure enough we had a tire failure. I decided that day I would not travel without a spare.

My present camping van doesn’t have room underneath for a spare due to the conversion, so I built my own tire carrier attached to driver-side rear door. While it’s not normal, or recommended, I carry a compact temporary spare for an “emergency”. A standard-size spare won’t fit because it will either block the right door, or bust the left tail light if door is opened all the way. I mention all this just to point out how important having a spare (any spare) is to me.

Last July I blew a tire 1,000 miles from home due to old age, and having the spare to get us to a tire shop, where I purchased four new tires, was so worth the effort. I didn’t time it, but was back on road in about half an hour. No doubt it was a mistake letting my tires get so old.

By the way, a few months ago, my spare blew while on the rear door, most likely from old age (but may have been over inflated). Fortunately it didn’t cause any damage except for tearing the tire cover. Yeah, it’s easy to forget that spares get old too. My new spare is still smaller, but now a Commercial tire with even higher load and pressure ratings than the OEM tires.

I have roadside, but won’t be without a spare.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.