Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #16
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Have you checked into the folks that do the custom Sprinter conversions such as these folks?

Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans - Sprinter Cost Examples

Those may be more along the lines of the European motorhomes.
I'm familiar with Sportsmobile -- they have a location in Texas and in the past displayed their products at the Houston RV Show. I like that they can build on a custom basis, so you get what you want and eliminate what you don't want.

Even though the Thor Axis/Vegas is only 94-inches wide, and the Siesta and Citation Sprinters 90 inches wide, they are still much wider than a van. The sidewalls also being completely vertical makes them much more spacious by comparison to a van. For that reason if we decide to go with a van, we'll likely get a RAM ProMaster instead of a Sprinter. They are significantly wider and sidewalls more vertical so they don't feel as cramped, although Sprinters can be longer.

If it were for just my wife and me, a ProMaster custom conversion van would work great. It's when we want to take others with us or tow a trailer that an Axis would be far superior. And its cost is no higher, making it a tough decision.

If Thor offered an Axis/Vegas designed more like a high-end van conversion I'd be all over it. Even some of the features from the Siesta Sprinter would be a welcomed upgrade that can't add that much cost yet would make the interior feel roomier. As an example, it seems to me that vans and smaller RVs often use cabinets slightly less deep so it provides a wider aisle, but that requires smaller stovetops like a 2-burner integrated unit with glass top.

Maybe the issue is that there is not enough of a market for high-end small RVs. Given a limited budget, I think most buyers prefer size over quality. At least in US.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.